What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potassium Humates (Humic Acid) As a Potassium Source?

Last grow I used all homemade ferts which was a majorly stressful chore...especially when the banana tea I was using for potassium nearly killed my plant overnight. So this time I bought something to use in flowering when the plant is hungriest. It's water soluble Potassium Humate, which has an NPK ratio of 0.4-0-17. I know humic acid has unique benefits for cannabis, but would this stuff work as a bloom fertilizer/potassium source by itself?

91u9eudBTdL._SX425_.jpg

It contains the following:
Typical Analysis shows 9.0 pH, 16% Soluble potash, 8% Sulfur, 48% Carbon, 28% Oxygen, 4% Hydrogen, and 80% Organic acids (55 Humic / 25 Fulvic).

That pH looks pretty high too. Is it safe to apply this stuff with plain water or will it wreck the pH of the soil? Sorry if this is a dumb newb question. I don't know squat about chemistry or the elements. Just wanna make sure I don't botch my grow since it's the only seed I have!

Other info about my grow:

- Indoors
- CFL bulbs
- Soil (Black Gold Organic brand)
- Organic/natural fertilizers only (teas, etc).

Cvh

Supermod
pH down (phosporic acid type) is not an organic supplement. Maybe also look into alternative organic natural methods to lower the pH if you want to grow 100% organic.

Here is some info about organic pH down and up.
https://www.growweedeasy.com/adjust-ph-organic-marijuana
https://www.humboldtnutrients.com/ph-up-ph-down/

Also humic/fulvic acids act as a chelator. Imo the raise in pH shouldn't impact the nutrient uptake.
Chelators will allow the plant to uptake nutrients in a wide pH range.
https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/humic-fulvic-acid-for-plants/
https://soil-biotics.com/files/7373-soilbiotics-humicacid.pdf
https://www.newagenutrients.com/education/nutrient-chelation/

(Remove the S from the HTTPS in the url if the link ain't working or if you receive a warning message)

For organic flower nutrients I would personally go for bonemeal, high P guano or any other type of organic fertilizer which is high in the PK range.

Humic/fulvic acids are IMO more as a soil improver to help the uptake of the nutrients (read the articles above) and not so much as a standalone fertilizer.

Last edited:

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Humic/fulvic acids are IMO more as a soil improver to help the uptake of the nutrients (read the articles above) and not so much as a standalone fertilizer.

THAT!

hyposomniac

Either 125 or 150ppm of K depending on how they express K.
That's per gram of the product (1/4 tsp).
As a K boost this should be good, but as a sole K source, you may end up overdosing on humic acid.. yes that's a real thing.

Edit: I realized their dosage was for a gallon.. so you can realistically get 33ppm K before exceeding the application rate.

Last edited:

MrBungle

it should be counted as a Potassium source, a very small amount of N, and even a fair amount of Sulfur, but it should not be used as a complete fertilizer

St. Phatty

attachment.php

Here's my Bucket of Love, early morning feed for the Girls.

1 five gallon bucket.

2 gallons water.

2 handfuls of wood ash, for K.

3 heaping tablespoons bone meal, for P.

Yellow Nitrogen Water.

2 1/2 gallons more water.

The wood ash & bone meal are very fine, so the bucket kind of smokes. I hold my breath when I mix it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180926_080816_NPK.jpg
    IMG_20180926_080816_NPK.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 30
Man, you guys are so awesome! Asked this same question in another forum & got 0 replies. It's hard to find any info on this specific topic so thanks for the feedback.

I'll definitely go easy on the Humic Acid/Potassium Humates dose. I saw one guy who literally "dumped" it all over his plants & they weren't doing so hot, lol. I'm just gonna do one light foliar feed in Week 4 & then not use it again until Week 7, when I'll start adding it to my regular waterings in tiny doses. I almost killed my last plant with homemade banana tea, so this can't possibly be worse than that! Poor thing turned yellow & crispy all over...

If I can find a cheap ($5 or less) source of Wood Ash on eBay I'll definitely pick some up, but this is a shoestring budget grow & I can only buy w/ Paypal. Luckily I only have one small autoflowering plant so hopefully it won't require tons of feed.

Not sure you want to know what I use for N.

Hehe. I have a feeling we use the same thing.

...unless you're using poop. I don't do that. Only diluted pee.
biggrin.gif