What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Floridian

Veteran
Hey Fiddy you'll find Tiger Bloom brings down the Ph drastically,more than any other fert I've ever used.I used TB for many years it's good shit but in my experience with ferts Pure Blend Pro is even better.Do a side by side with structurally identical clones from the same mom sometime if you can

Fiddynut

Hey guys I'll have to checkout that steam mop. Sounds great.
The ph and calcium issue sure varies depending on location. Water source is sure key. I found one thing odd though your water went acid with the nutes and was harder to restore with tap as opposed to RO
If it's buffered on the way up why did that not prevent the downward swing in the first place?
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
After rereading my comments on the pHing of my RO water I think I was not making sense. I didn't remember having to use that much pH up before. After going back and looking at my daily log from a couple grows ago and last grow I realize I was using less nutes and therefore didn't need as much pH up to compensate. The spring water at 8+ pH was resistant to moving down below 6 with the light doses I was using.
You are right that the buffering with all that mineral content should make it resist change in either direction. I may have also said something to the effect of "it's easer to bring pH down than up" and this is incorrect. I think I was confused because when I needed to lower pH it would take very little pH down but when I need to raise it it takes more pH up. This is because pH down is more powerful than pH up (at least the brands that I use) and not because the water resists change in one direction more than another.
Now that my water and all the nutes I use have a low pH I won't be needing pH down anymore unless I start using a nute that raises pH. I believe silica additives can raise pH and some suggest using it as pH up for example.
Sorry to be confusing, sometimes I just start typing and don't make much sense. Not trying to spread misinformation either.
I hope you are well and your weekend is off to a good start...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddy you'll find Tiger Bloom brings down the Ph drastically,more than any other fert I've ever used.I used TB for many years it's good shit but in my experience with ferts Pure Blend Pro is even better.Do a side by side with structurally identical clones from the same mom sometime if you can
Good morning Floridian.
You are right TB is super acidic. I fed the LW's again last night and gave about the same dose of nutes. Needed about 4-1/2 ml of pH up per gallon of nute mix to get pH to 6.5+. It's not the water resisting change but the acidity of the nutes that determine how much pH up I need. I think I was just a little nervous the first couple of waterings and feedings because of the new water.
I might grab a bottle of the grow and bloom pure blend pro next time I'm at the hydro shop. I've heard good things about it from you and others.
I hope your weekend is off to a good start....Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
let me know how you like the pure blend pro, fiddy
im especially interested in the bloom but if i get it i would buy the set
how long hvae you been using it floridian?
what others hvae you used in the past?
i usually stick with fox farm stuff but i would like to try something different

we used to have a state trooper who lived close by
he was actually pretty cool and liked football so we got along
i dont know what his position was on weed but that wasnt part of our relationship
i generally keep teh smoking stuff to myself and try not to advertise i even like weed
even people ive known for a long time are suprised when the see me smoke weed
i dont tell anyone about growing it myself
its always "...something i got from a friend"

st aptricks was pretty fun
went to a friends house and had a bunch of corned beef
he was draging ass so we dident eat until like 10p, so i was out kind of late
it was super foggy too last night so i ended up staying up even later, getting high on the back porch just enoying the fog

hope all you guys are having a great weekend!
spring should be right around the corner

Floridian

Veteran
I've been using PBP for about eight years,the first five years or so I used fox farm nutes.If there is a negative in using PBP its that it is more expensive to use than FF,not so much because of the price as in the amount you use or can use.I have found it nearly impossible to cause a negative reaction using PBP as opposed to fox farm.Especially grow big you really had to be careful using that stuff I remember.I have not really used any other products except of maybe a few weeks or so of some other brands but I was never impressed,especially price wise.

Fiddynut

let me know how you like the pure blend pro, fiddy
im especially interested in the bloom but if i get it i would buy the set
how long hvae you been using it floridian?
what others hvae you used in the past?
i usually stick with fox farm stuff but i would like to try something different

we used to have a state trooper who lived close by
he was actually pretty cool and liked football so we got along
i dont know what his position was on weed but that wasnt part of our relationship
i generally keep teh smoking stuff to myself and try not to advertise i even like weed
even people ive known for a long time are suprised when the see me smoke weed
i dont tell anyone about growing it myself
its always "...something i got from a friend"

st aptricks was pretty fun
went to a friends house and had a bunch of corned beef
he was draging ass so we dident eat until like 10p, so i was out kind of late
it was super foggy too last night so i ended up staying up even later, getting high on the back porch just enoying the fog

hope all you guys are having a great weekend!
spring should be right around the corner
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
I'll let you know on the pure blend pro for sure. I was thinking and I'm not sure if I need the veg or not. It seems like I'm going to have to transplant every 10-14 days to keep the plants happy and all that new soil seems to be enough to keep them going just fine. Especially if I add worm castings to the soil like I did this time. My bottle of grow big never seems to get used.
Pop_rocks do you use the big bloom with the tiger bloom? I haven't been but I'm thinking about incorporating some into the routine. It's suppose to add flavor to the finished product. The bottle I got about 10 months ago when I started growing should still be ok. I'll check it for an experation date.
The cop who lived across the street seemed pretty cool and was a biker. Still had to be very carful. Things are very old fashioned around here and they love to make an example of people. It's said that we are like the south of the north here. Almost as conservative as the Deep South of the country.
I need to do a better job of keeping my growing to myself. Too many people know already. A few of the people I use to sell to have figured it out, all of whom I work with and are cool but they still shouldn't know. I think I'm going to tell them I keep killing my plants and gave up on growing. A couple other friends at work are about to start growing and I'm helping them to get the right equipment and set up. One of them got in on my last seed order. I want to be helpful and spread knowledge but don't want to take too many risks.
I'm glad you enjoined st pats day. I completely slept and didn't make any of the pickled brisket and cabbage. I'll have to make up for that over the next couple weeks with plenty. I have a great recipe for making corned beef from scratch. If anyone is interested I can post it. It takes a few days and uses common ingredients. Let me know.
I'm so jealous you got to sit on your porch last evening. I can't wait for it to get nice enough for that here. Won't be long though.
I hope your weekend is off to a great start and all is well...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Good morning Rodehazrd.
After rereading my comments on the pHing of my RO water I think I was not making sense. I didn't remember having to use that much pH up before. After going back and looking at my daily log from a couple grows ago and last grow I realize I was using less nutes and therefore didn't need as much pH up to compensate. The spring water at 8+ pH was resistant to moving down below 6 with the light doses I was using.
You are right that the buffering with all that mineral content should make it resist change in either direction. I may have also said something to the effect of "it's easer to bring pH down than up" and this is incorrect. I think I was confused because when I needed to lower pH it would take very little pH down but when I need to raise it it takes more pH up. This is because pH down is more powerful than pH up (at least the brands that I use) and not because the water resists change in one direction more than another.
Now that my water and all the nutes I use have a low pH I won't be needing pH down anymore unless I start using a nute that raises pH. I believe silica additives can raise pH and some suggest using it as pH up for example.
Sorry to be confusing, sometimes I just start typing and don't make much sense. Not trying to spread misinformation either.
I hope you are well and your weekend is off to a good start...Fiddy.
Thanks for the clarification Fiddy like I said I'm still getting a handle on ph and ta. My mind is often a three ring circus of random factoids and it feels great to occasionally get the horses going the same direction. If only in brief flashes.
Big Bloom is ff micronutrients product I think it is needed till flush. I'm using fish hydro exclusively this round and wonder About the micronutrients.
Rodehazrd:dance013:

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
hows it going guys?

today was the first real ride on the mountain bike for me in who knows how long
at first i was going on the sheer stoke of being out again and tripping on how much things have changed
that only lasted for about the first 5 miles and the rest of the ride was a pure sufferfest
on the last big hill i completely ran out of leg and that was it for me
i thought i was keeping in ok shape but now i see how far i let myself go
hoping we can get another ride in this week but they say its supposed to rain so we prob wont be back on the trails until next weekend

ive never used big bloom but i will use tiger bloom on occasion
i also have the open sesame/beastie bloom/ cha'ching trio of ferts i used to use when i would run hydro,that i have used in soil
they are really concentrated so i use them at about half strength and only feed every other watering

i havent been using them on this run but might add some into the next watering
i also have this dr earth stuff i use as a general fertilizer
other than that i will use molasses after the first couple weeks of flower

dude, i am totally interested in your corned beef recipe
my friend let me take some slabs of beef home and i was going to use it to make some corned beef hash for breakfast, but the "kitchen monsters" got to it before i had a chance
/of course they left most of the cabbage and carrots alone

thats totally cool of you helping out your friends get their gear set up
im totally wiht you on wanting to help out and share the knowledge
i also just like talking about pot

Fiddynut

Thanks for the clarification Fiddy like I said I'm still getting a handle on ph and ta. My mind is often a three ring circus of random factoids and it feels great to occasionally get the horses going the same direction. If only in brief flashes.
Big Bloom is ff micronutrients product I think it is needed till flush. I'm using fish hydro exclusively this round and wonder About the micronutrients.
Rodehazrd:dance013:
Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
I'm with you on random facts spinning my head around. I have bits and pieces of knowledge floating around from the thousands of threads I've read here the past year do so. Bits and pieces from threads I stumbled across months ago that don't always click right away. Sometimes I don't even remember what I was searching for when I come across something that stays with me. Months later a bell rings and I'm able to put things together.
I think the last time I used Big Bloom I misused it on young plants and they had a bad reaction (and may have had rootbound plants at the time) so I've not been using it since then. It does have lots of micros in it and I should probably start feeding with it or switch to something else with micros. I just went to the hydro store and got a couple things to try. More about that in today's update.
I hope your weekend was good and you are well...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

hows it going guys?

today was the first real ride on the mountain bike for me in who knows how long
at first i was going on the sheer stoke of being out again and tripping on how much things have changed
that only lasted for about the first 5 miles and the rest of the ride was a pure sufferfest
on the last big hill i completely ran out of leg and that was it for me
i thought i was keeping in ok shape but now i see how far i let myself go
hoping we can get another ride in this week but they say its supposed to rain so we prob wont be back on the trails until next weekend

ive never used big bloom but i will use tiger bloom on occasion
i also have the open sesame/beastie bloom/ cha'ching trio of ferts i used to use when i would run hydro,that i have used in soil
they are really concentrated so i use them at about half strength and only feed every other watering

i havent been using them on this run but might add some into the next watering
i also have this dr earth stuff i use as a general fertilizer
other than that i will use molasses after the first couple weeks of flower

dude, i am totally interested in your corned beef recipe
my friend let me take some slabs of beef home and i was going to use it to make some corned beef hash for breakfast, but the "kitchen monsters" got to it before i had a chance
/of course they left most of the cabbage and carrots alone

thats totally cool of you helping out your friends get their gear set up
im totally wiht you on wanting to help out and share the knowledge
i also just like talking about pot
Great to hear you got out for a ride. I'm sure once you start riding regularly again your legs will come right back to you. My legs are going to need a few months to get me back to respectable though. As soon as I'm done with this reply and an update I'm going to get the tires pumped up and take a bike ride around the neighborhood. I gotta start somewhere and it's finally starting to warm up around here. It's going to be way too muddy to off road for a while here, the foot of snow we got last week melted over the last couple days and it's sloppy everywhere.
Do you use the molasses for the Mg or to feed the soil? I was using it with the organic earth juice and budswel on my first grow. I may have over done it once and kind of stopped using it. I think the fox farm kelp nutes that I use after transplanting has molasses in it.
Sorry to hear you missed out on leftover corned beef. You have to watch out for those "kitchen monsters" hahaha. Early bird gets the worm hahaa.I still haven't made any this season. I will post home corned beef recipe tonight after my bicycle ride.
Good people like you have given me the info I needed to get growing and I am glad to share it with others. Now that I know how easy it is to grow autos I'm recommending to my friends that start with an auto grow first. They will be using t5's for the whole grow so it's best they don't try to grow taller plants. If I can help them get off to a good start they may get better lights and stuff as their skill improves.
Like you, I enjoy talking about pot. Most of my coworkers smoke so it's always being discussed all day at work. Even the ones wha don't are tolerant or supportive of cannabis.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.
The LW's are looking good and happy. They came out of the tent a couple times this weekend. I've been keeping a close eye on them and so far they look great. I trimmed up a couple more lower branches on #1&2. 3 is less branchy so I left here alone for now. I may cut one more round of lowers off next weekend. Saturday will be day 21 of 12/12 so they should be about done stretching by then.

They were thirsty this morning so they got water only. It took less than a ml of pH up to get 3 gallons to upper 6's. They will be due for nutes and cal/mag next watering. I have only been giving tiger bloom nutes since flipping.

I went to the grow shop today and picked up some PBP bloom soil formula. At first I grabbed the hydro bottle and then I realized they had a soil formula too. The N-P-K is different in the hydro/soil bottles but both are for bloom. Since it's a one part formula it should have the micros I've been missing out on by only using the tiger bloom. It does say to add cal/mag if using RO water. I haven't experimented with nutes much and I'm looking forward to learning some things about them.

@floridian thanks for the recommendation on the PBP. The more I read about it the better stuff I keep hearing. Looking forward to trying it.

So it's finally looking like the jungle in the tent. The girls have really bushed out and it's getting tight. I have over a foot of headroom above my light so it looks like they will end up at a perfect hight. I got a bunch more bamboo steaks in case they need support in the future.
Here is a couple shots of them in their tent.

Here is a shot of each of the #1-3 plants that were trimmed up a little more this weekend.

The #4LW plant has been growing very slowly. New growth looks good but she just isn't getting much bigger. I have her up on a couple 4" bricks to give her a shot at the light. Keeping an extra close eye on her. I'm not seeing any balls on her but she has had the most stress to deal with so gotta keep looking. She may just end up small and not yielding much but maybe it will be dank so have to give her a chance.

I will be putting the HPS bulb in tonight. It's been a while since I've seen the orange glow down there. I hope the girls are happy with the more intense light. I will be moving the light up a few inches right away to give them something to grow into.

That's it for today's update. Thanks for having a look at my grow. I hope everyone had a great weekend and are in good spirits...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Home corned beef brisket.

I got this recipe from the cook book "the new best recipe". It's one of my fave cookbooks. They do a good job testing recipes and giving some cooking science background. I've made it a few times and it turns out great, without any of the artificial preservatives found in the store bought pickled briskets.
1/4 cup table salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked
3/4 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 point or flat cut beef brisket (4-6 pounds)

Mix salt and seasonings.
Spear the brisket 30 times with a fork or meat skewer.
Rub each side evenly with salt and spice mix.
Put into a 2 gallon ziplock and int the refrigerator on a baking sheet in case it leaks out of bag.
Take a couple large cans of tomatoes or beans or whatever and place on top of brisket.
Flip it over and put cans back on top every day for 5-7 days.
Rinse off the brisket before cooking however you like to cook it.
I like to braise my corned beef in beer when I cook them. You could also coat with coriander and black pepper and smoke it and have pastrami.

Since no curing salt is used the beef will not be pink like the ones you get at the store. It will however taste much better.
Since me cure salt is used I'd recommend cooking it right at the 5-7 day when it's done. It would probably keep an extra couple days in the fridge but I plan on making it the day it's done.

I have another recipe that does use curing salt and a wet brine method. Most people don't have pink (cure) salt in their kitchens. The cure salt gives it the pink color and preserves it a little longer.

I really like the results from the recipe I listed. If you like corned beef it will be a treat for you. You shouldn't have to worry about leftovers for long because it will be gone quickly.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
fiddy, that is just the recipe i am looking for
im not a fan of the pink salt method
i will def be trying this soon!
thanks much,brother!

yeah i think im going to just start and ride where ever i can until i can consistently hit the back trails
it was so fun just riding, you know how it is
that feeling of the air and being outside, almost like you are just gliding along on the wheels...
plus it makes mrs chicky happy when i do things with her

those plants are looking lush bro
i would totally take off another couple nodes, but thats just me
i use the molasses mostly for the sugars
the plants seem to love it, esp in flower
i mix a big glop into my water (plain or wiht ferts') and use it up to the last week of flower
it seems to make the buds fatter and i think it makes them taste sweeter as well
/i treat mg deficiency differently

that is awsome that you are spreading the gospel and helping out
most of the people i work with are really cool, but corporate types
there is this one guy at work who i share weed with but dont tell him i grow
/one day he gave me a sack of weed and we have been exchanging smoke ever since
besides,most of them are the types who would buy their weed, not grow it themselves
us growers are a special type

Fiddynut

You grow nice plants Fiddy.
Good afternoon Floridian.
Thank you for your complement. All my years of smoking pot I never knew how beautiful these plants were before I started growing. Now I like looking at them and caring for them almost as much as smoking them if not more so. I've stumbled across some threads with very experienced growers and you can really tell when people are getting the most out of them. I have a lot to learn before I'm there but I'll keep trying until I get it right.

Fiddynut

fiddy, that is just the recipe i am looking for
im not a fan of the pink salt method
i will def be trying this soon!
thanks much,brother!

yeah i think im going to just start and ride where ever i can until i can consistently hit the back trails
it was so fun just riding, you know how it is
that feeling of the air and being outside, almost like you are just gliding along on the wheels...
plus it makes mrs chicky happy when i do things with her

those plants are looking lush bro
i would totally take off another couple nodes, but thats just me
i use the molasses mostly for the sugars
the plants seem to love it, esp in flower
i mix a big glop into my water (plain or wiht ferts') and use it up to the last week of flower
it seems to make the buds fatter and i think it makes them taste sweeter as well
/i treat mg deficiency differently

that is awsome that you are spreading the gospel and helping out
most of the people i work with are really cool, but corporate types
there is this one guy at work who i share weed with but dont tell him i grow
/one day he gave me a sack of weed and we have been exchanging smoke ever since
besides,most of them are the types who would buy their weed, not grow it themselves
us growers are a special type
That corned beef will not disappoint. It is great. Possibly even better smoked as pastrami.
Let me know how it goes.

I rode a few miles on the mountain bike yesterday and it felt great. Just far enough to make my legs feel like rubber when I got off. If I can keep up regular rides I should be trail ready in a couple months.

Glad you are getting some riding in. That's great that it is something you can do with your woman. Women love togetherness and as we've talked about a few times around here, happy wife happy life. My wife has shown some interest in bike riding so maybe it will be something we can share together.

I'm happy about how the plants are looking but nervous because I'm right about at the time when things have gone downhill for me in the past. I have a lot of bud sights just starting and that is when I've had the hermies. I keep looking for them and trying to keep stress at a minimum. My temps and RH have been great and I think my environment is good. They may be a little hungry so I'm going to start feeding more. The PBP is suppose to be very forgiving and hard to burn plants with. Most of what I'm reading says to give plenty (at least 15ml/gallon) every time you water. I'll start giving some molasses too. I have a horticultural molasses and will start sparingly and work my way up with it.

I work for a small business and it's like the opposite of corporate around here. Many of the people I work with are too lazy or not in a good position to grow due to living arrangements. I'm glad to help the couple of them who want to try it though. We will see if any of them actually get their shit together and get set up. They have been talking about it but so far it's just talk.

I hope your week is off to a good start and you are well...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Hey guys
I'm loving my run of fish hydro only. I gave 4 oz per Gallon with some bushdoctor microbe at switch and 2oz per gallon at two weeks to both the 818 and 707.headbands. Both thrived. It grew a white hair on the surface of the soil till it dried some. Nothing else but humic acid in the watering. I've used 32 oz @$15 for the full cycle of flower. The tiger bloom bottle lasts a lot longer but this stuff seems safer I fried the 707 with the TB last time and I don't need the micronutrients bottle.
Picture day soon, cool temps starting to bring on some color so I'm hoping for that yellow and purple look with the frosty bulbs they make.
Pop looks like more rain for you in the news
Those legs may have to wait.
Rodehazrd

Floridian

Veteran
Fiddy keep the plants happy and don't sweat it,personally I think that probably 90% of plants that go hermie are genetic herms,environmental herms happen but IMO not nearly as often and you really have to do some funky light maneuvers to make it occur.I've never bought into the rest of the environment causing hermies,only light variation although I could be mistaken.I remember some stuff on OG where people were tring to create hermies from genetically stable strains and it wasn't so easy.I believe the cats name doing the experimenting was Smokinrav

Rodehazrd

@Fiddy
I too share your desire to help where I can BUT there are three basic rules I use other then family
No Show
No Tell
No Sell
This forums let's us share with each other but locally if they haven't seen it they have less to talk about if they only suspect.
Just saying I worry
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd

Fiddy keep the plants happy and don't sweat it,personally I think that probably 90% of plants that go hermie are genetic herms,environmental herms happen but IMO not nearly as often and you really have to do some funky light maneuvers to make it occur.I've never bought into the rest of the environment causing hermies,only light variation although I could be mistaken.I remember some stuff on OG where people were tring to create hermies from genetically stable strains and it wasn't so easy.I believe the cats name doing the experimenting was Smokinrav

I agree I have had some but do t think there's that common. Only In some strains. Had one In my first 818 runs .and in some ak47 but I haven't since tossing those phenotypes . I had a lot of time to pull between emergence and opening of the flower too.
Rodehazrd