What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RECENT interesting findings

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed oil: Analytical and phytochemical characterization of unsaponifiable fraction
Sergio Montserrat-de la Paz, Fabiola Marín-Aguilar, M.
Dolores Garcia Gimenez, and Maria Angeles Fernandez-Arche
J. Agric. Food Chem., J• DOI: 10.1021/jf404278q • Publication Date (Web): 15 Jan 2014

Non-drug varieties of Cannabis sativa L., collectively namely as “hemp”, have been an interesting source of food, fiber and medicine for thousands of years. The ever-increasing demand for vegetables oils has made it essential to characterize additional vegetable oil through innovative uses of its components. The lipid profile showed that linoleic (55%), α-linolenic (16%) and oleic (11%) were the most abundance fatty acids. A yield (1.84-1.92%) of unsaponifiable matter was obtained and the most interesting compounds were: β-sitosterol (1905.00 ± 59.27 mg/ Kg oil), campesterol (505.69 ± 32.04 mg / Kg oil), phytol (167.59 ± 1.81 mg/ Kg oil), cycloartenol (90.55 ± 3.44 mg/ Kg oil) and γ-tocopherol (73.38 ± 2.86 mg/ 100 g oil). This study is an interesting contribution for Cannabis sativa L. consideration as a source of bioactive compounds contributing to research novel applications for hemp seed oil in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic food, and other non-food industries.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Decarboxylation Study of Acidic Cannabinoids: A Novel Approach Using Ultra-High-Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography/Photodiode Array-Mass Spectrometry
Mei Wang, Yan-Hong Wang, Bharathi Avula, Mohamed M. Radwan, Amira S. Wanas, John van Antwerp, Jon F. Parcher, Mahmoud A. ElSohly, and Ikhlas A. Khan
Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research
Volume 1.1, 2016 Pg 262-271
DOI: 10.1089/can.2016.0020
Introduction:
Decarboxylation is an important step for efficient production of the major active components in cannabis, for example, D9 -tetrahydrocannabinol (D9-THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabigerol (CBG). These cannabinoids do not occur in significant concentrations in cannabis but can be formed by decarboxylation of their corresponding acids, the predominant cannabinoids in the plant. Study of the kinetics of decarboxylation is of importance for phytocannabinoid isolation and dosage formulation for medical use. Efficient analytical methods are essential for simultaneous detection of both neutral and acidic cannabinoids.
Methods:
C. sativa extracts were used for the studies. Decarboxylation conditions were examined at 80C, 95C, 110C, 130C, and 145C for different times up to 60 min in a vacuum oven. An ultra-high performance supercritical fluid chromatography/photodiode array-mass spectrometry (UHPSFC/PDA-MS) method was used for the analysis of acidic and neutral cannabinoids before and after decarboxylation.
Results:
Decarboxylation at different temperatures displayed an exponential relationship between concentration and time indicating a first-order or pseudo-first-order reaction. The rate constants for D9-tetrahydrocannabinolicacid-A (THCA-A) were twice those of the cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) and cannabigerolic acid (CBGA). Decarboxylation
of THCA-A was forthright with no side reactions or by-products. Decarboxylation of CBDA and CBGA was not as straightforward due to the unexplained loss of reactants or products.
Conclusion:
The reported UHPSFC/PDA-MS method provided consistent and sensitive analysis of phytocannabinoids and their decarboxylation products and degradants. The rate of change of acidic cannabinoid concentrations over time allowed for determination of rate constants. Variations of rate constants with temperature yielded values for reaction energy.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Or use the article title or DOI to get any science article at:

sci-hub.cc

That is why I stopped posting article links that can get old and stop working, everything changes, and links on the WWW will change for sure. Even sci-hub.cc has changed addresses, but you can still find copies of almost all science journal articles at sci-hub.cc
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sequence heterogeneity of cannabidiolic- and tetrahydrocannabinolicacid-synthase in Cannabis sativa L. and its relationship with chemical phenotype
Doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2015.03.006
Chiara Onofri, Etienne P.M. de Meijer, Giuseppe Mandolino

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Cannabidiol Claims and Misconceptions
Doi: 10.1016/j.tips.2016.12.004
Trends in Pharmacological Sciences
Ethan B. Russo

Once a widely ignored phytocannabinoid, cannabidiol now attracts great therapeutic interest, especially in epilepsy and cancer. As with many rising trends, various myths and misconceptions have accompanied this heightened public interest and intrigue. This forum article examines and attempts to clarify some areas of contention.

Glad to see the claim that some CBD gets converted to THC in the human gut, is put to sleep. I always doubted it happened in humans. This shows no THC in the blood of subjects that took oral pure CBD for 6 weeks. They did find the CBD.
-SamS

Last edited:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
great post sam

lets hope that the truth about cannabis really comes out rather than lies to control and twist the public like the last 75 years

DNA assisted markers

DNA assisted markers

If I read what I thought I read, I had the EXACT same Idea, just days ago, and that really excites me, minus the they got to it first part, so you get the benefits of Genetics and mapping the genome without the taboo of the GMO, and you get to diversify the species also while Naturally (engineering) Open Pollinating your crosses, yes? Love this, now I gotta go make a baby after I subscribe, anything else you got, send it my way if you get time hahaha, mainly the DNA markers ones, sadly all I read was a quote without a link, maybe I'll find it still

Oh and Thank You for this share, this is what the world should do with information

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The main cannabinoids content in hashish samples seized in Israel and Czech Republic
Lumír O. Hanuš, Rina Levy, Dafna De La Vega, Limor Katz, Michael Roman & Pavel Tomíček
Israel Journal of Plant Sciences
Volume 63, 2016 - Issue 3
Pages 182-190
Received 03 Jan 2016
Accepted 07 Apr 2016
Published online: 08 Jun 2016
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07929978.2016.1177983

Cannabis, both herbal and resin, has been the most popular illicit drug in Israel in recent years. Until 2005, the main sources of cannabis resin (known also as hashish) to the Israeli drug market were Lebanon and India. Hashish from these sources can be distinguished by its external appearance. The aim of this study was to determine if there is any difference in the quality of the hashish from each source. For this purpose, we quantified the main cannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD), Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), and cannabinol (CBN) of hashish from different police seizures of known origins, Lebanon, India and Morocco, that had been submitted to the Analytical Chemistry Laboratory of the Division of Identification and Forensic Science at the Israeli National Police Headquarters and subsequently to the Hebrew University for quantitative analysis. The results, based on many different seizures, showed that the average CBD content of hashish from Lebanon varied from 5.69% to 12.79% (an average 8.98 ± 0.59%), THC of hashish from Lebanon varied from 0.93% to 4.20% (an average of 2.38 ± 0.27 %), CBD of hashish from Morocco varied from 1.52% to 5.14% (an average of 3.72 ± 0.19%), THC of hashish from Morocco varied from 5.08% to 13.41% (an average of 9.21 ± 0.40%), CBD of hashish from India varied from 0.78% to 13.13% (an average of 4.59 ± 1.07%), and THC of hashish from India varied from 0.53% to 16.45% (an average of 6.35 ± 1.50%), At the same time, several other cannabinoids present in the samples in lower amounts were identified (cannabidivarol, CBDV; cannabicitran; Δ9-tetrahydrocannabivarol, Δ9-THCV; cannabivarol, CBV; cannabicyclol, CBL; cannabichromene, CBC; cannabielsoin, CBE; Δ8-THC; and cannabigerol, CBG). The samples, predominantly from Lebanon, Morocco, and India, were evaluated for chemical phenotype (drug type and fiber type) to determine the geographical origin of these samples.

Indian hashish, seized by Czech Republic authorities, was analyzed qualitatively for many cannabinoids and terpenes. In this sample three new cannabinoids were identified: cannabiorcochromene, cis-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabivarol, and cannabinerol.

Any strain that has not been formally described as a cultivar, for example, the so called Sour diesel, or Granddaddy Purple, should be named as follows: Cannabis strain Sour diesel, or strain Granddaddy Purple, with their popularized name without single quotation marks, having in mind that their names have no taxonomical validity.

the so called cannabis strain 'Stink Panties' deserves quotation marks and you'll know why having smelled her once.:biggrin:

View Image

I believe that too much of a mixup is involved between recognized elite clonal cultivars and non-clonal cultivars, and so I'd personally prefer something that specifies the difference, perhaps along the lines Cannabis cv. Super Silver Haze and for clonal cultivars, Cannabis clonal cv. Chemdog 4.

PDX Dopesmoker

The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research
National Academies of Sciences, book 440 pages free download
https://www.nap.edu/catalog/24625/the-health-effects-of-cannabis-and-cannabinoids-the-current-state

Looking through that I found out that cannabis may be a performance enhancing drug for athletics
hGKRVzM.jpg

I've read somewhere else that some terpenes are known to produce bronchodilation and came to the conclusion that one of the benefits of smoking tasty weed is that you have a bunch of bronchodilators applied to your lungs just as you've filled them up with weed smoke, making you more efficient at absorbing the THC. Never felt like it made my respiration easier though.

G

Gr33nSanta

In my experience, one can smoke a lot of weed and get really fit. I feel weed has diminished the negative side effects of smoking tobacco for me over the years. Still working on cutting it out completely, CBD rich plants are helping. Tobacco is an anti-psychotic and can help cut through the anxiety that high THC cultivars can cause.

I am the fittest stoner I know, but its not like I hang out with stoners. What I have found over the years is I can smoke all I want as long as I exercise daily or almost.

If I puff tuff and don't exercise I go downhill really quick. I used to work a very physically demanding job paid piece rate. Some of the fittest guys on the job were stoners and absolutely fit enough to be called athletes.

Ollie

Veteran
In my experience, one can smoke a lot of weed and get really fit. I feel weed has diminished the negative side effects of smoking tobacco for me over the years. Still working on cutting it out completely, CBD rich plants are helping. Tobacco is an anti-psychotic and can help cut through the anxiety that high THC cultivars can cause.

I am the fittest stoner I know, but its not like I hang out with stoners. What I have found over the years is I can smoke all I want as long as I exercise daily or almost.

If I puff tuff and don't exercise I go downhill really quick. I used to work a very physically demanding job paid piece rate. Some of the fittest guys on the job were stoners and absolutely fit enough to be called athletes.
Dear Gr33Santa,

Do You have any sources confirming that nicotine helps alleviate any potential unwanted anxiety effects an individual may have, induced by d9-tetrahydrocannabinol?

I think that You have misinterpreted the actual modulations(effects) going on, due to being "used/addicted" to nicotine.

Check out these:

Role of the cannabinoid system in the effects induced by nicotine on anxiety-like behaviour in mice.
PMID: 16416159 DOI: 10.1007/s00213-005-0251-9

Transdermal nicotine alters some of mariuanas effects in male and female volunteers.
PMID: 16002030 DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.01.008

Behavioural and biochemical evidence for interactions between d9-tetrahydrocannabinol and nicotine
DOI: 10.1038/sj.bjp.0704479

Big up

G

Gr33nSanta

you are probably right, I believe Ive read stuff like that before but its mostly the way I feel about it I guess. I mean nicotine is an anti psychotic I think I ve read or seen something about how schizophrenic people can do better in our society if they smoke cigarettes.

Not that I am schizophrenic lol but Ive been a stoner forever and I am really in tuned to the way I react with everything. What I can say is that everytime I try to quit tobacco altogether I get so high from smoking pure weed, almost too high. But now Ive got more tools in my arsenal, Ive started dabbing rosin, and because I grow a wide range of varieties from indica sativa hybrid to high CBD varieties ... anyway its been almost 2 months now I only smoke a little bit of tobacco every day and I am getting use to getting high without the tobacco again and it is nice. I still think tobacco can help with anxiety and that is why a lot of stoner/tobacco users tend to light up a cigarette after a joint.

Where as for me Ive never really smoked cigarettes only for a year but Ive been mixing tobacco with my weed ever since I ''stopped''.

Ollie

Veteran
I think You might have mixed it up between actual being anti-psychotic and the bio assay feeling one gets(or can get) by/of consuming nicotine. To my knowledge and understanding, nicotine actually potentiate the anxiety, because the "delusional" anti anxiety effects it produces, potentiates the actual anxiety, while not consuming it.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
used to smoke 4 packs a day, 1982; great pain in my chest. That was the last tobacco I used. don't care about its' benefits, there are none. Fit is for the fit to remain fit, age will take care of the degradation of fit. Few will remain 'fit' through the last quarter of ones life.. not easy to do. I used to 'lift' for 2 hours, then play racquet ball for 2-3 hours, 3-4 times a week.. but that was 30 years ago. now, I'm now only "FIT to be tied" occasionally..
kickout.gif

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Genomic and Chemical Diversity in Cannabis
Ryan C. Lynch, Daniela Vergara, Silas Tittes, Kristin White, C. J. Schwartz, Matthew J. Gibbs, Travis C. Ruthenburg, Kymron deCesare, Donald P. Land, Nolan C. Kane
Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences
Pages 1-15 Published online: 22 Feb 2017
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2016.1265363

Plants of the Cannabis genus are the only prolific producers of phytocannabinoids, compounds that strongly interact with the evolutionarily ancient endocannabinoid receptors shared by most bilaterian taxa. For millennia, the plant has been cultivated not only for these compounds, but also for food, rope, paper, and clothing. Today, specialized varieties yielding high-quality textile fibers, nutritional seed oil, or high cannabinoid content are cultivated across the globe. However, the genetic identities and histories of these diverse populations remain largely obscured. We analyzed the nuclear genomic diversity among 340 Cannabis varieties, including fiber and seed oil hemp, high cannabinoid drug-types, and feral populations. These analyses demonstrate the existence of at least three major groups of diversity with European hemp varieties more closely related to narrow leaflet drug-types (NLDTs) than to broad leaflet drug-types (BLDTs). The BLDT group appears to encompass less diversity than the NLDT, which reflects the larger geographic range of NLDTs, and suggests a more recent origin of domestication of the BLDTs. As well as being genetically distinct, hemp, NLDT, and BLDT genetic groups produce unique cannabinoid and terpenoid content profiles. This combined analysis of population genomic and trait variation informs our understanding of the potential uses of different genetic variants for medicine and agriculture, providing valuable insights and tools for a rapidly emerging valuable industry.

Medicinal Uses of Marijuana and Cannabinoids
Franjo Grotenhermen , Dr. med. & Kirsten Müller-Vahl
Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences
Pages 1-27 Published online: 17 Feb 2017
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2016.1265360

In the past two decades, there has been increasing interest in the therapeutic potential of cannabis and single cannabinoids, mainly cannabidiol (CBD) and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC and cannabis products rich in THC exert their effects mainly through the activation of cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2). Since 1975, 140 controlled clinical trials using different cannabinoids or whole-plant preparations for the treatment of a large number of disorders and symptoms have been conducted. Results have led to the approval of cannabis-based medicines [dronabinol, nabilone, and the cannabis extract nabiximols (Sativex®, THC:CBD = 1:1)] as well as cannabis flowers in several countries. Controlled clinical studies provide substantial evidence for the use of cannabinoid receptor agonists in cancer chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting, appetite loss and cachexia in cancer and HIV patients, neuropathic and chronic pain, and in spasticity in multiple sclerosis. In addition, there is also some evidence suggesting a therapeutic potential of cannabis-based medicines in other indications including Tourette syndrome, spinal cord injury, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and glaucoma. In several other indications, small uncontrolled and single-case studies reporting beneficial effects are available, for example in posttraumatic stress disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and migraine. The most common side effects of THC and cannabis-based medicines rich in THC are sedation and dizziness (in more than 10% of patients), psychological effects, and dry mouth. Tolerance to these side effects nearly always develops within a short time. Withdrawal symptoms are hardly ever a problem in the therapeutic setting. In recent years there is an increasing interest in the medical use of CBD, which exerts no intoxicating side effects and is usually well-tolerated. Preliminary data suggest promising effects in the treatment of anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, dystonia, and some forms of epilepsy. This review gives an overview on clinical studies which have been published over the past 40 years.

Dog Star

Veteran
Tobacco cant be anti-psychotic but is rather a psychotic cause will play
with your neurotransmitters and send you in depression mode very easy..
depleting your serotonine and in same time raise levels of adrenaline,noradrenaline
and other stressfull neurotransmitters..,tobacco is nasty thing for smoke..

what he does is that nicotine binds on hemoglobine and then hemoglobine cant transfer
enough of oxygen making you lower lung capacity,dizy... its a really toxic plant,
best to avoid to have better quality of life.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The Analytical Chemistry of Cannabis
Quality Assessment, Assurance, and Regulation of Medicinal Marijuana and Cannabinoid Preparations
Brian F. Thomas, Mahmoud A. ElSohly
Emerging Issues in Analytical Chemistry 2016
ISBN 978-0-12-804646-3