What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix?

Deezl

Yeah my friends recommend GreenGro activated biochar. $130 per 5 gallon bucket.
The stuff I used was $20 for the same amount, so for me it was $60 vs $390.
I used a bunch of pretty expensive amendments but I had all of that stuff sitting around. If I had two weeks to spare I could have skipped most of those though.

For a smaller batch or if you have the money getting it pre-activated makes a lot of sense.

Maple_Flail

Yeah my friends recommend GreenGro activated biochar. $130 per 5 gallon bucket.
The stuff I used was $20 for the same amount, so for me it was $60 vs $390.
I used a bunch of pretty expensive amendments but I had all of that stuff sitting around. If I had two weeks to spare I could have skipped most of those though.

For a smaller batch or if you have the money getting it pre-activated makes a lot of sense.

ya, Small personal medical grow. Not the most economical for sure.

but it doesn't seem unreasonable given how far it would go.

I'd love to do it myself, but for sake of simplicity along with neighbours and whatnot pre activated seems right for me.

scratching they DIY itch is great and all house and home and garden are slightly more important.

will look in to that Cheers

Deezl

You can spend your do-it-yourself-and-make-a-mess energy on making tea or soaking your own nutrient blends. :)
Those just use a 5 gallon bucket and some airstones.

This biochar madness has everything in my house/life covered in black char funk. My yard has a pile of tubs and buckets that look like I was mixing ink or laying blacktop or something.

Maple_Flail

You can spend your do-it-yourself-and-make-a-mess energy on making tea or soaking your own nutrient blends. :)
Those just use a 5 gallon bucket and some airstones.

This biochar madness has everything in my house/life covered in black char funk. My yard has a pile of tubs and buckets that look like I was mixing ink or laying blacktop or something.

THAT is exactly what i'd like to avoid :tiphat:

ya teas will take that itch away for sure

h.h.

Veteran
Fermentations won't stink out the neighbors. Lacto smells like yogurt. ACT smells earthy. Neither is strong smelling.
I made a mess using char, but you don't have to.