What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

igrowone

Veteran
Antarctic sea ice settles on record low extent, again
February 27, 2023
On February 21, Antarctic sea ice likely reached its annual minimum extent of 1.79 million square kilometers (691,000 square miles). This the lowest sea ice extent in the 1979 to 2023 sea ice record, setting a record low for the second straight year.

Please note that this is a preliminary announcement. Changing winds or late-season melt could still reduce the Antarctic ice extent. NSIDC scientists will release a full analysis of the Antarctic and Arctic February conditions in early March.

Attachments

• 2023-02-21_asina_S_iqr_timeseries-350x280.png
    2023-02-21_asina_S_iqr_timeseries-350x280.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 39

Three Berries

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/02...-and-antarctic-animals-were-thriving-in-2022/

In the Polar Wildlife Report 2022, published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) on International Polar Bear Day, zoologist Dr. Susan Crockford explains that ice-dependent species in the Arctic and Antarctic show no sign of impending population crashes due to lack of sea ice.

Crockford’s report reveals that there were no reports in 2022 that would suggest that polar wildlife is suffering as a result of reduced sea-ice extent: no starving polar bears or walrus, no beach-cast dead seals, no marked declines in great whale numbers, no drowned penguin chicks.

While a few Antarctic penguin species and the Antarctic minke whale appear to have suffered a recent decline in abundance, these were unrelated to sea-ice cover in the Southern Ocean. Similarly, in the Arctic, a recent 27% decline in polar bear numbers in Western Hudson Bay was found to be unrelated to sea-ice conditions over the last five years.

Three Berries

Southeast Australia wildfires are being reported in the news ... sort of.

Lots of small fires, not a big deal, just a sign of ... Normalcy ?
Microbes and termites destroy much more wood yearly than fire.

St. Phatty

Microbes and termites destroy much more wood yearly than fire.

I wouldn't call that "destroy". I would call it recycling.

I have parts of my backyard that are 10 feet deep of rotting tree.

The area with termite activity, which is more in the crevices where there is more water, have FANTASTIC soil.

Three Berries

I wouldn't call that "destroy". I would call it recycling.

I have parts of my backyard that are 10 feet deep of rotting tree.

The area with termite activity, which is more in the crevices where there is more water, have FANTASTIC soil.
The end result is the same. I ran out of rock for rip rap so have been using the dead ash tree branches and logs I have laying around to lay on the bank. Then cover them in all the dead branches and leaves I have.to pick up daily It turns into a giant stick pile. That in turn gives places for little birds and mice. So then the cats have a hay day . And it stops the erosion.

igrowone

Veteran
and the sun is rising in the north, you know, the arctic circle
that means the arctic ice must be near maximum
In my humble estimation the max has been reached, much below normal
not a record low max, but pretty close, the official rank should be posted in a few days

Attachments

• N_iqr_timeseries.png
    N_iqr_timeseries.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
Arctic sea ice maximum at fifth lowest on satellite record
March 15, 2023
Arctic sea ice has likely reached its maximum extent for the year, at 14.62 million square kilometers (5.64 million square miles) on March 6. The 2023 maximum is the fifth lowest in the 45-year satellite record. NSIDC scientists will present a detailed analysis of the 2022 to 2023 winter sea ice conditions in the regular monthly post in early April.

St. Phatty

Read The Report From Iron Mountain written in the 1950's, it details how CO2 will be blamed for global warming so a new world wide tax can be brought in to fund world wide government.

It's definitely being used as a Make Work program.

But this Make Work program is not open to the general public. PARASITES Only !

GenghisKush

Read The Report From Iron Mountain written in the 1950's, it details how CO2 will be blamed for global warming so a new world wide tax can be brought in to fund world wide government.
Frosty, I'm going to paraphrase a quotation from your signature: My freedom to live on a planet that can support human life doesn't end where your fear of a world-wide government begins.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Frosty, I'm going to paraphrase a quotation from your signature: My freedom to live on a planet that can support human life doesn't end where your fear of a world-wide government begins.
CO2 is essential for human life, all plants live on it, the more there is the better, reducing CO2 will kill plants meaning no food or oxygen meaning no human life, you should know this as adding CO2 to a grow increases the amount of cannabis you get from it.

GenghisKush

Sticking with the example of growing weed.

> CO2 ... the more there is the better

That simply isn't true. It isn't true for humans (sure we exhale CO2, but a human organism does not require CO2 itself to survive -- we do require the byproducts of CO2 as input to photosynthesis, but not CO2 directly. astronauts don't bring CO2 with them to orbit). It isn't true for plants, either. If you put a plant into a 100% (ie 1,000,000 ppm) CO2 environment, it would die. Its roots would not be able to absorb the mineral nutrients needed to keep it alive. As you well know, roots need oxygen.

Or, as the old saying goes: The dose makes the poison.

> reducing CO2 will kill plants meaning no food or oxygen meaning no human life

That simply isn't true either. Atmospheric CO2 concentration has been less than 300 ppm for all of human history until 1950. Today CO2 concentration is 424.1 ppm. A year ago it was 420.9 ppm.

Attachments

• co2-graph-083122_scaled_scrunched.jpg
    co2-graph-083122_scaled_scrunched.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Sticking with the example of growing weed.

> CO2 ... the more there is the better

That simply isn't true. It isn't true for humans (sure we exhale CO2, but a human organism does not require CO2 itself to survive -- we do require the byproducts of CO2 as input to photosynthesis, but not CO2 directly. astronauts don't bring CO2 with them to orbit). It isn't true for plants, either. If you put a plant into a 100% (ie 1,000,000 ppm) CO2 environment, it would die. Its roots would not be able to absorb the mineral nutrients needed to keep it alive. As you well know, roots need oxygen.

Or, as the old saying goes: The dose makes the poison.

> reducing CO2 will kill plants meaning no food or oxygen meaning no human life

That simply isn't true either. Atmospheric CO2 concentration has been less than 300 ppm for all of human history until 1950. Today CO2 concentration is 424.1 ppm. A year ago it was 420.9 ppm.
Reductio ad absurdem.

GenghisKush

Reductio ad absurdum.
Exactly.
It is shockingly easy to motivate people by fear. It is shockingly easy to convince people to ignore their own capacity for reason, their own experience, and take up a cause to forestall some vague-but-terrible doom. This fear that drives you here of a one-world government is, I think, a boogeyman. It is a fantasy meant to capture your attention and imagination and keep you from thinking thoughts that would be inconvenient for certain oil industry executives and shareholders.
You know from your own experience this fact: plants need Oxygen -- without it roots don't function. For some reason you have been convinced otherwise. You are willing to claim that more CO2 is better for all things, even though that claim is in conflict with your own lived experience.
I'm here to say you ought to trust your own capacity for reason. You can examine critically the things that you are saying here, and confront those things with evidence and critical thought, with reason. That is where understanding comes from.

> Three Berries: How much CO2 is too much?
350 ppm. That is my opinion.

Latest posts

Latest posts