What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dinafem Strawberry Amnesia wilting

Talizora

Afternoon guys

I started a Dinafem strawberry amnesia in coco coir and she was growing very well with extremely light feeding.She is only about 7 days old.
Plant was growing well when 2 days ago i went to check up on my plants and this little girl just randomly wilted one me. I thought it was too much moisture but im feeding my seedlings the exact same amount and they're managing just fine and look great.

The thing to note is how the stem above the cotyledons is wilted but the main stem where the cotyledons are attached looks nice and healthy. To be safe a friend recommended i transplant her out of the coco and into some basic seedling potting soil which is what i've done. I stuck in a plastic screwdriver to get her a place
to rest. Does anyone have any idea?

I though this was damping off but the main stem is nice and sturdy so im unsure what the cause may be.

thanks

Coco Coir when she was healthy

This is her now.

Talizora

I thought so also, but supposedly you can't over water plants in coco coir?

Regardless she's still the same in potting soil at the moment. No yellowing.

Letting the medium dry out for a few days to see if she responds

Talizora

I replanted her, lets hope she bounces back.

I did very gently wash the soil then applied a little bit of hydrogen peroxide

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
too wet

too wet

When those seeds pop, and I see green, then I let the soil dry out in between watering's. That will stimulate roots to grow in search of water. By the looks of your tap root on that plant, the soil was kept too wet. In organic soil, I let 7 to 10 days pass in between watering s. I'm talking the first few weeks of growth in the cool season. You can pick up your watering schedule after the roots develop more.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Afternoon guys

I started a Dinafem strawberry amnesia in coco coir and she was growing very well with extremely light feeding.She is only about 7 days old.
Plant was growing well when 2 days ago i went to check up on my plants and this little girl just randomly wilted one me. I thought it was too much moisture but im feeding my seedlings the exact same amount and they're managing just fine and look great.

The thing to note is how the stem above the cotyledons is wilted but the main stem where the cotyledons are attached looks nice and healthy. To be safe a friend recommended i transplant her out of the coco and into some basic seedling potting soil which is what i've done. I stuck in a plastic screwdriver to get her a place
to rest. Does anyone have any idea?

I though this was damping off but the main stem is nice and sturdy so im unsure what the cause may be.

thanks

Coco Coir when she was healthy
[URL=https://preview.ibb.co/jWfHwL/IMG-20181011-WA0011.jpg]View Image[/URL]

This is her now.

[URL=https://preview.ibb.co/kWrPbL/IMG-20181017-164002.jpg]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://preview.ibb.co/duzMO0/IMG-20181017-164019.jpg]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://preview.ibb.co/jbtFi0/IMG-20181017-164224.jpg]View Image[/URL]
When wilting like that happens suddenly, it is almost always damping off fungus, which means there is too much humidity, and even lack air movement.

What small plants like that need, is to build a strong root system and stem - that's P/K. And letting the soil dry out short of wilting.

Also, what was the watering schedule under coco?

People often say don't treat coco like soil, however I let it dry out regularly, and it leads to fantastic root growth.

Latest posts

Latest posts