What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

scegy

i hope i haven't hurt u in any way as that wasn't my intention, it's all indica with me man:)

can someone explain the meaning of Juzu(the bracelet)? kind off a reminder during the prayers? i've searched the net a little but if someone has a personal explanation i'd be happy to read

! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo !

Hitman

Thanks, Sceg, No you haven't. I'm just struggling right now. Too much Sativa and not enough Indica is what I really think I'm going through. I feel exhausted.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

In the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, we hold juzu beads in our hands while reciting Gongyo and chanting Daimoku. There are 108 beads in the main body, signifying the 108 Earthly DesiresThe 4 smaller beads in the main body represent the 4 Great Bodhisattvas of the Earth….Jogyo, Muhengyo, Jyogyo, and Anryugyo. The 2 large beads at each end of the main body, are the “parent” beads. The “mother” bead, representing “mystic” is on the side with 3 dangles, and is placed over the middle finger of the right hand. The “father” bead, representing “law” is on the side with 2 dangles, and is placed on the middle finger of the left hand. We cross the beads in the middle, which shows our oneness with THE LAW. Also, we cross the beads so our benefits do not fall through our hands and lives. By placing the beads on our hands this way, we are accepting the reality that Buddhahood exists within our lives. When we press our hands together while we hold our juzu beads, our 10 fingers represent the 10 Worlds which fuse together simultaneously in the life of a Buddha, our lives. Our life is now one with the Mystic Law! The one small bead that sits below the “father” bead,represents Absolute Truth. Prior to Nichiren Buddhism, there were only 2 dangles on each end of juzu beads. The third dangle, consisting of 10 beads and a "Kosen-Rufu" bead, on the side of the “mother” was added, actually tied on, to signify Nichiren Buddhism and distinguish it from other sects of Buddhism. On the remaining 4 dangles, there is a differently shaped bead part way down each string. This bead is called the “jar” bead and holds the benefits of our practice. The 5 larger beads at the bottom of each dangle are the“Kosen-Rufu” beads, and represent our desire to spread Nichiren Buddhism, Kosen-Rufu, throughout the World.
(this info came from http://myohobeads.com/buddhism/the-history-of-juzu-beads/)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think enough has been said about scegy’s decision to make clear how we feel about it. As I already said, I feel personally responsible for not having talked about the subject earlier, but at the time I didn’t want to acknowledge such an option, which is really not an option, but rather a mistake that I tried protecting people from making. If one were to go back into the thread, you’ll see how many times I alluded to this, without clearly just coming out and acknowledging that “You could do it this way, but don’t.”

That was my mistake. I failed to protect scegy, by trying to avoid a controversial subject. And I sincerely apologize.

And I also think it best to express how amused a Nichiren Shoshu priest or lay believer would be to hear folks referring to anything but an SGI bestowed Gohonzon as counterfeit or fake. That is exactly what they say about the Nichikan Shonin Gohonzon the SGI now confers as part of it’s activities to accomplish kosen-rufu. Never once in my response to scegy did I refer to his Gohonzon as fake or counterfeit.

I objectively conveyed my personal sentiments based on pondering this issue for the sake of my own faith. Frankly I came to these conclusions myself. They are in no way influenced by the SGI. As I said, scegy has obligated himself to that piece of paper and should understand that. This isn’t something that anyone should do in my opinion in that IT IS ALREADY HARD ENOUGH TO FIGHT THE DEVIL OF THE SIXTH HEAVEN FOR THE PERIOD OF “THE REST OF YOUR LIFE”.

Why would any intelligent individual want to make it harder? It doesn’t’ make you more pure to make it harder. There is NOTHING one gives up as far individuality is concerned by being an SGI member. There is nothing you give up! Period!!!

Look at me! I’m the living example of that. I don’t write about it for security reasons, but if one were to think that I am not VERY involved in my local SGI activities, they would be mistaken.

When our Buddha Nature is truly activated, and our disposition and wisdom are not an act or attempt to show how smart we are—when we strive to live with genuine compassion—people will always become attracted. It’s the Law of the Universe. It is nothing more than this truth at work in how people view and are attracted to Daisaku Ikeda.

Scegy now knows how we feel. Everyone has expressed gut-felt personal perspectives. Let’s leave scegy’s decision alone and let scegy do what scegy will ultimately do. As many times as I thought he was going to, he has never let me down. I trust him to do the right thing.

He isn’t the only one reading this thread that had this question. I know that.

I bow in obeisance to you all!

Thomas

Last edited:

scegy

babba thank you for the explanation, i'll have to dive into that in my head after i'm done with the Gohonzon issues:)

thomas, all i can say is woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
thank you for being there with me, i respect you for that :wave:

Hitman

Thank you,T. That is just what I was looking for. Check out that link from above, everyone.

Bubba, Thanks for the explanation of the beads. Real nice.

Let's grow together, Sceg!

Have a great day everybody.

scegy

ok guys things are moving on

as i did my gongyo and i started daimoku after i felt like a whore looking at my printed gohonzon, i tried to continue but i felt even more of a jerk so i stopped and put the printed gohonzon away. As i chanted without the Gohonzon things were definetly more difficult, i had the will to chant for 30 mins then i stopped, usually when i chanted to gohonzon these days i went for an hour at least(still wanting more, like hunger towards women or weed), every time. i can feel the emptyness, and yes guys, this is what i wanted to feel, that's why i had the power to do the next step....

next i summuned my powers and i called my sgi mentor and explained a little why have i isolated myself from them for so much time. Suprisingly his first reaction was a little stunned when i called him but in the next second he was the same as i've met him the first time. calm, modest, and kind
i told him about the gohonzon and i'm meeting them on wendnesday after the classes. Looking forward seeing them again and hearing how their stories evolved.

Always prey the good thoughts that wonder in your head, thought to myself

I love you Beings of the Universe!

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

"If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth and death you have endured since time without beginning and to attain without fail unsurpassed enlightenment in this lifetime, you must perceive the mystic truth that is originally inherent in all living beings. This truth is Myoho-renge-kyo. Chanting Myoho-renge-kyo will therefore enable you to grasp the mystic truth innate in all life."
Reference:

WND Page 3
Page 3 On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime
Written to Toki Jonin in 1255 from Kamakura

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. Living Buddhism, Jan-Feb 2008. Page 47.

Buddhism is a teaching conveyed through the mentor-disciple relationsihip. The oneness, or shared commitment, of mentor and disciple forms the essence of Buddhist practice. If we forget the mentor-disciple relationship, we cannot attain Buddhahood. Nor can we achieve eternal happiness or realize kosen-rufu. It is through the bond of mentor and disciple that the Law is transmitted. Buddhism is the Law of life; and the Law of life cannot be transmitted through words or concepts alone.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know we all love our Bud! Trusting that I may make this request with no questions asked, I hope everyone will join me in chanting extra Daimoku for the next seven or eight days and thinking of how much we love our friends Babbabud and MrsB while we do it.

Chanting Growers sticking together, one for all and all for one, we've got your back, unity. Shake the Universe! NEW YEARS WAS A WEEK AGO!!!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congratulations scegy on what I hope you come to perceive as genuine wisdom and the right thing to do. No one could have expected you to do that! Wow! I hope the meet goes well!

In the meantime, I again ask that you treat the print with respect. The whole point I was trying to make in the first place was the sense that since it is just a download it is meaningless. It's the image of the Gohonzon. Nothing could be further from the truth!

When you say you have put it away, you worry me a little bit. It shouldn't be moved around too much! I thought you had enshrined it somehow. Please don't do anything to it based on the comments made here! I'm sure I've been clear on that Brother, but it's too important to you for me not to make that point again.

Much love and deep respect,

T

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Chanting Growers Group = "Good Friends" (Zenchishiki)

Chanting Growers Group = "Good Friends" (Zenchishiki)

Ananda, one of Shakyamuni Buddha's closest disciples, once asked him: "It seems to me that by having good friends and advancing together with them, one has already halfway attained the Buddha way. Is this way of thinking correct?"

Shakyamuni replied, "Ananda, this way of thinking is not correct. Having good friends and advancing together with them is not half the Buddhist way but all the Buddhist way."

This may seem surprising, as Buddhism is often viewed as a solitary discipline in which other people might be seen as more of a hindrance than a help. However, to polish and improve our lives ultimately means to develop the quality of our interpersonal relationships--a far more challenging task than any solitary discipline. Our practice of Buddhism only finds meaning within the context of these relationships.

From another perspective, given that Buddhist practice of polishing and aiming to improve our lives from within is a constant challenge and a difficult process, it is only natural that we need support from others also dedicated to walking a correct path in life, trying also to create value in their lives.

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda has written, "Having good friends is like being equipped with a powerful auxiliary engine. When we encounter a steep hill or an obstacle, we can encourage each other and find the strength to keep pressing forward." And as Nichiren (1222--1282) wrote: "Even a feeble person will not stumble if those supporting him are strong, but a person of considerable strength, when alone, may lose his footing on an uneven path..."

In Nichiren Buddhism, good friends are known as zenchishiki or good influences, while akuchishiki refers to bad influences. People affect each other in subtle and complex ways, and it is important to develop the ability to discern the nature of that influence. According to Buddhism, "bad" friends are those who encourage our weaknesses. In Nichiren's words: "Evil friends are those who, speaking sweetly, deceiving, flattering and making skillful use of words, win the hearts of the ignorant and destroy their goodness of mind."

Even when intentions are good, the degree of our positive influence on each other will vary. Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, founder of the Soka Gakkai, used the following illustration. Say you have a friend who needs a certain amount of money. Giving your friend the money they need is an act of small good, while helping them find a job is an act of medium good. However, if your friend is really suffering because of a basic tendency toward laziness, then constantly helping him or her out may only perpetuate negative habits. In this case, true friendship is helping that person change the lazy nature that is the deep cause of their suffering.

A truly good friend is someone with the compassion and courage to tell us even those things we would prefer not to hear, which we must confront if we are to develop and grow in our lives.

Ultimately, however, whether people are good or evil influences in our lives is up to us. In Buddhist terms, the best kind of zenchishiki is one who leads us to strengthen our own faith and practice in order to thoroughly transform our karma. To quote Nichiren again, "the best way to attain Buddhahood is to encounter a zenchishiki, or good friend." Further, Nichiren comments that Devadatta, the cousin of Shakyamuni who tried to kill him and divide the Buddhist order, was "the foremost good friend to Thus Come One Shakyamuni. In this age as well, it is not one's allies, but one's powerful enemies who assist one's progress."

This expresses a key concept in Buddhism. Due to the immense transformative powers of Buddhist practice, even "bad" friends can have a good influence if we make our relationships with them into opportunities to examine, reform and strengthen our lives. The ideal is ultimately to develop the kind of all-encompassing compassion expressed by Nichiren when he wrote that his first desire was to lead to enlightenment the sovereign who had persecuted him, repeatedly exiling and even attempting to behead him.

scegy

hello

thomas no worries i'm treating the prints with respect, i've just stopped chanting to it, it's layed infront of me as it was before, just so that i can't see it, it's still enshrined in a cardbox

why shouldn't the gohonzon be moved?
i have no idea where i'm gonna put the new Gohonzon, gonna have to make some space in my living room and make a butsudan
can i decorate the edges of it with some kind off painted plants?i'd love that

socal thanks for pointing that out, i've been always into group talking as it always brings good out of the conv.
:)

Hitman

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Hi Scegy,
I'm so happy for you and your seeking mind- so proud of you. I know what Thomas means- I can relate to respecting it because it is a copy of the Gohonzon. I hope that I didn't accidently encourage you to destroy it. I'm so happy for the charge you are taking of your life. You amaze me the way you roll. You're like the tide. We all are like tides because we come in and then go back out. The great thing is that we are resilient. Rubber band people, we bounce back to form no matter how we are stretched like Stretch Arm Strong.

The term good friend is awesome-It covers all the bases. SoCal, the story of Devadatta trying to kill Shakyamuni being his utmost good friend, that makes me want to cry. Good Friends enable you to chant way more than you normally would because they are so bad, in one sense of the word, they strengthen our faith. That is true enlightenment, it is so Christ-like. It's the turning of the other cheek, take the coat off of my back, there is no fight back- eye for an eye though.

Gosho Sensh p. 1396-7
"Though the Devil King was once our ruler, he now respects and fears us. If he does us any harm, when the Buddhas of the Lotus Sutra and in the ten directions perceive this, his own lot will be made worse. Therefore he makes us offerings out of fear. This is why he strives at any cost to prevent any living being dwelling in the six paths from embracing the Lotus Sutra and attaining enlightenment.

Great Evil and Great Good
"Great events do not have small omens. When great evil occurs, great good will follow. Since the worst slander already prevails throughout the land, the supreme Law will spread without fail. I will write again."
-Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Volume 5

...th 25th day of the 8th month, 1277
Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon
"I am entrusting you with the Gohonzon for the protection of your young child. This Gononzon is the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all scriptures. It is like the sun and the moon in the heavens, a mighty ruler on earth, the heart of a human being, the pillar of a house and the wish granting jewel among treasure."

" When one embraces this mandala, all Buddhas and gods will gather around him, accompanying him like a shadow, and protect him day and night, as warriors guard their king, as parents love their children, as fish rely on water, as birds depend on trees, as trees and plants crave rain, you should trust it with all your heart."

With my deep respect,
Nichiren

I can hear the drums-a-beatin'!
This Hits for all of you! :bashhead:

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam MYOHO Renge Kyo

Nam MYOHO Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie said:
I know we all love our Bud! Trusting that I may make this request with no questions asked, I hope everyone will join me in chanting extra Daimoku for the next seven or eight days and thinking of how much we love our friends Babbabud and MrsB while we do it.

Chanting Growers sticking together, one for all and all for one, we've got your back, unity. Shake the Universe! NEW YEARS WAS A WEEK AGO!!!

Thanks so much !!!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts