What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THAILAND LEGALIZES MEDICAL MARIJUANA, KRATOM

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

Visions of 6 HUGE - GI-NORMOUS - Thai plants -

- growing down by the Ma-Ping River - ahhh - but they were saying that you could only do that indoors? - Jeez - you would need to run air-con 24/7 most all of the time -

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The cooperate cannabis industry players like Canopy are loosing millions a day now Australia's industry is tied to Canadian partners and like Canada are trying to monopolize the industry.
Thailand has the right approach now 6 plants per home is IMO limited but its a great start.

The interesting part to Thailand going legal is Cambodia Vietnam and Malaysia will follow.Then we have the high court challenge happening in India.

Mexico has plants in the ground that will go legal soon to it will be a domino affect.
The cooperate cannabis industry is what has slowed reforms and there prity much screwed now so the only viable way forward is a local cottage industry.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
An interesting research project, there's different angles to it. If someone was an studying anthropology at a university and needed a project. Or someone was fluent in Thai and knew the country. Or someone who worked for Phylos or was studying cannabis DNA. Or just an old fashioned strain hunter..going to Thailand with a camera or even just a tape recorder. And tracking down the people who made the traditional Thai Sticks.

Interview them, how long it had been their cultural practice, how they grew the plants, how they bred them, all the stories and culture that we're losing as these people age and die.

Thai Sticks have been gone, probably since around 1980? Replaced by Chocolate Thai which has also faded away. The Thai Sticks weren't necessarily destroyed by prohibition but by the enormous export demand for high quality cannabis in the West. The hours that were spent trimming and tying together the buds with string. A friend who dealt pounds of Thai in the 70's does a similar thing with sage bundles. Finds the awesome high desert sage in the Shasta area and southern Oregon. Sells them to head shops occasionally.

When the demand and $ was too great the mass produced product became the Chocolate Thai which was great stuff but not as good as the Sticks. Then the DEA spent big $ eradicating the Chocolate Thai so you have the mass produced type stuff you see in the article I linked to. It looks like nice stuff, especially for SE Asia but I doubt it's the old Thai strains. Looks like modern hybrid ganja.
what was this chocolate thai ??

in australia we never saw any of that , well not in my neighborhood anyhow,
there was a little bit of the compressed stuff that is still available in thailand today after the thai sticks disappeared ,

we had the sticks up until the the 80s ,

then there was some golden thai aka golden buddha ,.
not on sticks , which was actually better than the thai sticks we got , the last bit of that i had was in 1985 ,

but i dont recall any chocolate thai at all ...

dillycid

On September 2, Maejo University researchers planted 12,000 new marijuana seedlings in northern Thailand’s Chiang Mai, while government officials looked on. The seedlings were provided by the government’s Department of Medical Service, according to the Asia Times.

I lived in eastern Washington State 1976-1979 and every year Tons of Thai Stick were off loaded in remote coves of Northern Cal and the Oregon coast. The old school herb was always import and in my opinion the only way to bring that back is by old school ways...smuggling. IT HAS TO GROW THERE! Thailand is gearing up to be the foremost producer of high CBD cannabis in what they see to be a global market. Soon these seeds will be in the hands of villagers who can grow 6 plants each and sell them back to the government. If it's not to late, it will be soon to find those genetics. I highly recommend a book called "Thai Stick: Surfers, Scammers and the Untold Story of the Marijuana Trade." by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
However, in light of the new medical cannabis law, the project has now expanded breeding objectives to also include high-thc varieties.
This is not the first time that Maejo University has actively pursued cannabis research. The late Associate Professor Arkom Kanjanaprachote, nicknamed in Thai academic and agriculture circles as the “Father of Hemp”, had previously collaborated with the Royal Project Foundation and the Highland Research and Development Institute in the development of new industrial hemp strains

In their initial trials, they’ll use some Thai strains as parent lines. However, since their main objective is oil, not fiber, they plan to screen, breed and select from many new accessions, including from local landraces as well as imported germplasm. https://www.apsaseed.org/news/canna...p-thai-cannabis-corporation-maejo-university/

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I think the Americans call what we called Buddha or Buddha sticks choc Thai.

History of Marijuana Use and Anti-Marijuana Laws in Thailand[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
By Eric Blair
[/FONT]
From late 1960s through 1988, one of the world’s most successful drug cartels operated out of Bangkok, shipping hundreds of tons of “Thai stick” globally (see footnote<sup>10</sup> for explanation of Thai stick). The Drug Enforcement Administration’s Intelligence Division in a 2001 report, revealed that Thailand was Southeast Asia’s major cultivator of cannabis and producer of marijuana in the 1970s and 1980s. At that time, Thai stick was listed as one of the most common forms of marijuana found in Thailand.

http://thailawforum.com/history-of-marijuana-cannabis-thailand-2.html

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think the Americans call what we called Buddha or Buddha sticks choc Thai.

History of Marijuana Use and Anti-Marijuana Laws in Thailand[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
By Eric Blair
[/FONT]
From late 1960s through 1988, one of the world’s most successful drug cartels operated out of Bangkok, shipping hundreds of tons of “Thai stick” globally (see footnote<sup>10</sup> for explanation of Thai stick). The Drug Enforcement Administration’s Intelligence Division in a 2001 report, revealed that Thailand was Southeast Asia’s major cultivator of cannabis and producer of marijuana in the 1970s and 1980s. At that time, Thai stick was listed as one of the most common forms of marijuana found in Thailand.

https://thailawforum.com/history-of-marijuana-cannabis-thailand-2.html
yep i always thought that too ,

but after reading what old rev said im not so sure if we were thinking the same ,

just gonna wait for him to comment on whether it was sticked up like the original stick , or compressed , or what form it came in ,

im thinking it much have been the stuff we know goes brown as it dries hempy ,
but im only guessing really ..

romanoweed

Yesterday by coexidense i read the same as yesum told: the legalized only Cannabis with under 0.2 Percent thc. They named the Article Legalisation of Cannabis and hemp. Wich could make one think they leglized Thc-rich weed aswell. But thats the spelling, the clear Definition appears to be Legalisation of hemp, and Cannabis under 0.2 Percent thc. Dont know if that is the whole thign wich changed since they didnt call it legalized for medical consumtion, probaby there happend more, but this puts definitvely another light on the Thing having read it myselve.