What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil preparation

Packer420

So I will be preparing my soil later today and realized I have been giving them molasses with sulphur as the guy told me his molasses contained some sulphur in it!!!

So can I still use the same soil ( potting mix with perlite only) that had been fed with sulphured molasses the past few months?

I will be mixing this base with a recipe then add ACT with the correct Unsulphured molasses now then cook for say 1 - 2 weeks?

Thanks much in advance masters!

Packer420

And how do you guys moisten your soil for cooking?

Would you spray with ACT or just water lightly with ACT until moist? which seems easier for noobs..

Thanks again and again!

T

Teddybrae

So I 'm wondering what's so bad about sulphured molasses? Plants need sulphur too. Never heard of this potential trouble.

But Mate ... sounds like a poor soil mix ... actually doesn't sound like soil. y'know, dirt soil with all sorts of good stuff in it ... ?

Mengsk

Compost always helps from your own yard or in bulk before the season. Any kind of coco coir, compost or worm castings available at the nursery/grow supply store can be topdressed or lightly mixed in. Different bat or seabird guano, crushed lava rock or pumice or perlite, compost or potting mix, alfalfa pellets, mineral or rock powders azomite greensand lime gypsum and so on, depending on your native soil you might mix 1/4-1/3 of each by volume mineral (sand/clay), organic matter (compost/worm castings), and air (expanded clay/pumice/perlite) with as much fertilizer as recommended on the package. I'm not sure how much to use or how long it needs to cook without burning the plants. Organic fertilizer has quite a selection now I am trying "vegan mix" OMRI this year. You may find items that overlap or have all in one dry mix too.

Mengsk

I would definitely try maple syrup over molasses although I will probably stick to just a tablespoon or so in a 5 gal batch of ACT that will be diluted to 50 gal and/or watered in thoroughly.

Packer420

Thanks for the share. I would then continue reusing this soil and use this unsulphured i just got and ser any diffference.

I read that those sulphur is beneficial to plants an humans? But might kill the good bacteria created.