What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US !

M

moose eater

To genetically engineer something means to genetically modify something or change the DNA. Have a look.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering

Thanks. I'm familiar with the concept of GE.

What I was driving at is that in the loosest of definitions, some include merely engaging in selective breeding for preferred traits.

Thus I was specifically thinking about what the company in question considers the definition of GE to be.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So are me and my friends just the luckiest people in the world? To go decades smoking grams every day and never encounter any symptoms or condition like this CHS/scromiting. I've never even heard anyone mention it like an urban legend or something. If it is real it must be insanely rare.
Where do you live? You'll find it's significantly more common in areas where cannabis has been legalized. Places where growers are meeting up and sharing genetics and bugs. Wait till legalization has been around in your state for a while. Unless this issue is taken care of, you'll definitely see it. :tiphat:

I can smoke grams all day, every day and not have a problem. As long as there isn't any azadirachtin on the cannabis.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I would think it is from outdoor bud, sprayed with pesticides. It could also be from concentrates, or eating. I have OD'd from both. When I first started concentrates, 2 large hits, and I was screwed up. Had to go to bed 10 minutes later, and was unpleasantly high. I have built up tolerance and can do a dozen now.

I also made a batch of cookies from sugar trim, which I thought would be weak. Ate one cookie, and was zig zag walking when it kicked in, went to bed and tripped for hours.

Can see how building up tolerance, and doing very large amounts of strong product could be bad.

I try to take a break once in awhile, and only have about 1/4th of a cookie, a couple of times a month, and take a week off of doing concentrates frequently.

CaptainDankness

I know what the cause is?

If THC is an anti-emenetic. Then what's THCV?

I'll wait...

Yeah, that is interesting THC gives you the munchies while THCV suppresses appetite. Sounds like they do counter act almost like an organic speed ball. Lol, says THCV gives you an up high.

Might just be what made Sativa and indica so different I always figured the cannabinoids where somewhat different I was more thinking indica had more CBD and Sativa had hardly any CBD but clearly I don't know everything.

angelgoob

I've experienced low appetite and stuff.

The cannabis itself? was questionable.

But, again the same week I had anxiety, is the same weeks I would feel strange.

THCV?

I had a different strain each week for a year. Some weeks went better than others.

S

sourpuss

I agree it must be poisons sprayed on. Or accumulated thru the soil. Then processed for concentrate. Then made into edibles. Gross. Stay away from anything concentrate or edible unless you know where it came from and who made it.

Id wager a majority of edibles r made from low end outdoor thats was covered in pm and spray sold in the dispensary near you

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
If it is truly a "soil accumulation" issue, then those of us that reclaim (aka recycle) our grow medium should take heed. Maybe an occasional "heavy metal" test might be in order. Assuming "sum of the parts are greater than than the whole" and we don't know everything about cannabis...and for those of us who are also "connoisseurs" of the noble weed, quality is paramount over quantity.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
If it is truly a "soil accumulation" issue, then those of us that reclaim (aka recycle) our grow medium should take heed. Maybe an occasional "heavy metal" test might be in order. Assuming "sum of the parts are greater than than the whole" and we don't know everything about cannabis...and for those of us who are also "connoisseurs" of the noble weed, quality is paramount over quantity.

I have mostly recycled soil for years. No pukes or screams. People all over the world have grown patches in the same location. No screaming pukes.

Maybe research and find a location that has grown the same variety for years and just recently started using systemics. Maybe they start puking and screaming and we would have a clear answer.

DocTim420

I have mostly recycled soil for years. No pukes or screams. People all over the world have grown patches in the same location. No screaming pukes.

Maybe research and find a location that has grown the same variety for years and just recently started using systemics. Maybe they start puking and screaming and we would have a clear answer.

Oh I agree, but if we don't know....then one has to start somewhere. I am not aware that my product has any issues either (since I would have certainly heard about it)--but, then again: We don't know, "what we don't know".

Since we don't know--how much we "don't know"...then it is hard to quantify the exact amount of information we "don't know" about cannabis.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Oh I agree, but if we don't know....then one has to start somewhere. I am not aware that my product has any issues either (since I would have certainly heard about it)--but, then again: We don't know, "what we don't know".

Since we don't know--how much we "don't know"...then it is hard to quantify the exact amount of information we "don't know" about cannabis.

Cannabis has been used for 1000s of years if not tens of thousands. We know alot. As far as growing techniques little has changed. Billions of people have consumed cannabis in every imaginable way. That qualifies as testing and knowing. So if you want to track down the source of the problem it would make the most sense to start with what has changed. To begin with huge legal grows in the US are new. Most of popular pesticides and fungicides are products I had never heard of until a few years ago. There are some new nutrients, most just more refined versions of what was already there. But a few are listed as for ornamental use only (such as bushload). There is some new lighting technologly, maybe responsible but I highly doubt it.
Potent cannabis is nothing new. Maybe to some people. But in my experience a weed induced panic attack involves rapid heartbeat, shakes, sweats and fear, no puking or screaming. Most of those I have been around involve excess caffeine also. As for whiting out it frequently improper hydration or not eating all day then smoking alot.

Too me all the evidence suggest something added. Most likely fungicide or pesticide. Look up myclobutinal and extracts for a scary read and that is just 1 common product.

DocTim420

I respectfully disagree...

Corn has been used for 1000s of years if not tens of thousands, and more is known about corn than cannabis. Why? Because Corn is not a Schedule I Drug (criminalized) and research has/was/is restricted to just a few. I submit that for every "study" or "research paper" conducted on "cannabis" there are probably 100 papers on Corn. Yep, I bet it is closer to the 100:1 ratio, than it is 1:1.

Again, we don't know what we "don't know". Said differently, can you quantify what you don't know? I can't and I am an old fucker (that tries to learn something new each day).

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I respectfully disagree...

Corn has been used for 1000s of years if not tens of thousands, and more is known about corn than cannabis. Why? Because Corn is not a Schedule I Drug (criminalized) and research has/was/is restricted to just a few. I submit that for every "study" or "research paper" conducted on "cannabis" there are probably 100 papers on Corn. Yep, I bet it is closer to the 100:1 ratio, than it is 1:1.

Again, we don't know what we "don't know". Said differently, can you quantify what you don't know? I can't and I am an old fucker (that tries to learn something new each day).

If you had to guess what has changed about cannabis that might cause this problem?

Maybe someone should extract the oils from some organic corn and some commercial pesticide corn. Have a big dab session and see who scromets first?
Yum, corn dabs.

The amount of papers written on a subject has no coorelation with the amount of research done. In fact over and over again scientists are caught lying about results with some agenda in mind, usually money.

Will your herb test 100% free of pesticide and fungicide?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I am generally an anarchist. People causing no harm should not worry about the rule of law. But if I ever was in a position to write a law it would be to stop the poisoning of people. I would attack hard drugs such as heroin, the food industry for making it next to impossible for uneducated people to eat healthy and anyone selling contaminated weed. They would all need new jobs.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I am generally an anarchist. People causing no harm should not worry about the rule of law. But if I ever was in a position to write a law it would be to stop the poisoning of people. I would attack hard drugs such as heroin, the food industry for making it next to impossible for uneducated people to eat healthy and anyone selling contaminated weed. They would all need new jobs.
Prohibition doesn't work. Education is your cure. :tiphat:

CaptainDankness

I would legalize all drugs opium dens where not that bad heroin and now fentanyl and even worse are where the real danger comes from out of the Plant Of Joy it's been in western society since Alexander the Great.

Pesticides and herbicides I'm against and the only thing that makes GMO's relevant.

The upcoming legalization here in Canada could serve as a good experiment for all of this. We will have several large players, who are in the process of picking up smaller companies to increase production space to meet expected demand come summer 2018. Some have already been caught red handed using banned pesticides in the medical arm of their business.(with barely any punishment). So it could provide a good test to see whether Canadian emergency rooms fill up with folks scromiting with legal access to Cannabis that will most likely be produced on a large scale. Although testing will possibly be part of the process. Although it isn't just big grows that spray, and it would be naive of us to assume that just because someone says they are a "craft" grower doesn't mean they don't see dollar signs on occasion too.

soil margin

Veteran
I can smoke grams all day, every day and not have a problem. As long as there isn't any azadirachtin on the cannabis.

See I've heard people say similar things but if that's true then it really means there isn't anything risky with cannabis. Cannabis doesn't cause scromiting/CHS, it's azadirachtin that's causing it so we should be careful to clarify that clean organic weed is never causing these symptoms.

DocTim420

...The amount of papers written on a subject has no coorelation with the amount of research done. In fact over and over again scientists are caught lying about results with some agenda in mind, usually money.

Will your herb test 100% free of pesticide and fungicide?

Two points:

1. Having one's "peers" review your research is exactly how scientists are caught lying--especially those with a political agenda. A good example of what you described would be Climate Change Scientist; so many times Climate Change Scientists tweak the facts so "science" supports their "politics"--even bypassing established "peer review" protocols.

2. And yes there is a difference between "being published" and "peer reviewed research". The former is what money (private agenda) will buy you and the later is what science will buy you (gotta pay the dues if you wanna sing the blues). Experiments in "peer reviewed papers" should be replicable with similar results obtained by the examiner under similar conditions. If not, someone is bullshitting.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying we know "all" on matters that are extensively researched...quite the contrary. What I am saying the more we study something, the more we realize there are things, systems, reactions that we don't fully understand.

I think Albert Einstein was on to something when he said: The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

Corn is still extensively studied this day...why? Because maybe there are things we don't know. If it took the equivalent of 100 King James Version of the Bible to hold what is known about corn--I doubt that we will ever know "it all". Why? Because future technology will always outwit you...lol.

And yes, my herb has and will always test "cide" free. When I do use cides, the only cides I use have an active ingredient half-life that is measured in hours or a few days...never weeks, months or years. I smoke what I grow and I am very picky about what I smoke, fair enuf?

Now as to "bro-science" or "stoner logic", I submit that particular "knowledge base" probably doubles every year (imo, most of it is worthless). Another example of--the more we study something, the more "we don't know".

But hey, it is all good. Not every grower is like you or I...nor should they be.

stim

it is correct to assume that we have changed nothing substantial in cannabis growing. UV from the sun is the largest factor in thc production. bugs also increase thc it is a stress response.

Latest posts

Latest posts