What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Wendull C.

Veteran
Commercial growers probably only see $$ and not the quality.

Hence the pesticides to produce more plants mentality.

I hope they all get shut down.

How many commercial growers do you know? I know a couple, they have the best practices I have seen and produce a top quality clean product. These guys have their shit wired tight and have no need to spray anything. Most haven't seen a mite in years. They didn't ascend to their positions by producing products that collectives don't want, and yes they are tested.

I am amazed at the " let's shut em down" or " let's make a law" mentality.

Are you from a med or rec state corky?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Exactly! And in this instance--the guilty were "licensed". So, it proves my point--there is zero correlation of "honorable pesticide use" and whether or not the grower is "licensed" or is part of the "black market" (both groups have good and bad characters).

Hence why I stated that decent growers are few and far between (regardless of legal status) and why testing is good.

As opposed to other posters who don't want testing or who blindly trust black market to provide them with clean product.

:tiphat:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
It's not blindly trusting the black market. I bought cannabis on the black market for decades before there was such a thing as testing for pesticides.

They didn't fuck me over then, so why would they now, when pesticide use is more easily detected? See?

Z

z-ro

bombadil isn't troll of the month, he's troll of the year, at the very least....

Id love to see him run a commercial operation in Oregon, with millions of his own money invested, and not get powdery mildew.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Maybe bombadil is like me, and doesn't want million dollar ops growing his pot.

Quantaray

You have to ask if you trust all the growers to behave ethically and not use harmful pesticides and fungicides in their products.

There are definitely those who are in it just for the money. So, some regulation is necessary. Having to ramp up the testing process is going to cause some pain in the process. The state and local authorities are usually underfunded and understaffed, and not always motivated by speed, but by the fear of losing their jobs.

In Oregon I would guess that no one who wants weed will go without. The grey/black market will never go away. Also, if I lived in a place that would allow it, I'd grow my own. I only need 5-6 square feet, a decent 200-250 w LED and about 4 small plants per year to grow the few ounces I smoke per year.

frostqueen

Weird, I asked you a simple question, and you type some sort of manifesto...

After reading it, it is not clear if you trust the black market, that has no regulation whatsoever, over produce that has to pass a minimun level of quality control...it is not clear whether or not you think growing your own also frees you from the real dangers of getting pestice ridden herb from the black market, which was the intent of my initial question.

A 'manifesto' that 6 people, including myself, thought was pretty well said, and helpful...

Just sayin'.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would you rather buy an oz from legal market knowing that oz is clean, or from the black market, not knowing anything about it?

From the grower... If the option is there.
Just because a product is tested for cleanliness by mandate, it doesn't mean it's safe. The alphabet groups put in place to protect consumers don't do much more than protect their fat paychecks at the expense of consumers.

This ponzi-legalization scheme is exactly all it is...
It's nothing more than a power grab by the controllers.

Some folks are getting exactly what they ask for though...
Unfortunately.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
bombadil isn't troll of the month, he's troll of the year, at the very least....

Id love to see him run a commercial operation in Oregon, with millions of his own money invested, and not get powdery mildew.

or maybe he can only conceive the issue in binary terms. It might be a game or it might be an intellectual limit that happens when he is emotional invested. It happens with many of people here myself included at times.

If he IS trolling at what point do you ignore him and if he is emotional invested and thus intellectually disengaged in this instance why irritate the situation more?

I think that he feels genuine about his stance and has too much ego to take a few steps back and look at it objectively. Nonetheless I am not here to take his inventory or judge him, I understand the dynamic it creates but in the end it is the person with emotional intelligence (yes it is a thing) that will keep this from perpetuating.

Don't let his point of view bring dismay. It is one of the perceptions we must come to recognize and understand. The end result however is undeniable and the delusion created by limited perspectives can be frustrating.

With all that said most rational people have will understand and observe that legal as it presented leaves as much monetary motivation for producers to compromise integrity as there is motivation to maintain it.

The black market before legality made pot in my region less valuable than most any other drug when you look at it from a risk/reward ratio. People looking for stacks worked other stuff primarily. People who dealt weed were more likely to have a passion for the weed themselves. Of course this didn't apply to every single person, but to a fair majority, they where in it for the weed.

Most people had regular jobs, grew or dealt as a means to an end but it did not define them or was no their primary source of income. Even those for whom it was had mantras like "keep it green", I only consume what nature produces (flowers and mushrooms), and other balance maintaining baselines for behavior that you don't find in most drug cultures.

The black and white scenario that old tom sees the world in is not how it works. He won't acknowledge the aspects of conversation that aren't framed in black in white but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

NFN the only way to guarantee the integrity of what you put into your body when ti comes to food and weeds is to manage the process yourself. Nothing else is a guarantee it is a promise and when there is money in the equation promises quickly loose their attractiveness to producers and bank accounts matter more.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran

If you are gonna invest millions to grow cannabis in a place like OR, you better make sure you know what you are doing... if you don't know you'll need one heck of a controlled environment, including very good intake filters, you have basically made a rookie mistake, an expensive one too.

OR is not well known for its ideal climate to grow herb in. So if someone is gonna invest millions to grow outdoors, he better have a state of the art green house to do it. And if indoor, same applies, state of the art controlled environments.

The times for hobbists is gone, you can no longer get away with spraying poison on cannabis.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, boys.

When was the last time you saw a serious agricultural enterprise on the wrong environment for any given crop?

Do I hear crickets?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Man, some of you are so funny...I'm one of the few in the thread discussing the subject matter, while some of you are still trying to make this about me, I guess you don't really understand what trolling really means, nothing a mirror can't fix though.

:joint:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just for the record people in southern Oregon are absolutely killing it outdoors ... Pono comes to mind ... you should see his grow... monster plants .. all organic all pristine. Only thing i see compares to Ponos outdoor beast might be Mendo420's Cali grow. Best to not go on about something you know so little about.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Just for the record people in southern Oregon are absolutely killing it outdoors ... Pono comes to mind ... you should see his grow... monster plants .. all organic all pristine. Only thing i see compares to Ponos outdoor beast might be Mendo420's Cali grow. Best to not go on about something you know so little about.

You can grow acclimatized specific varieties successfully almost everywhere. Heck, look at the guys from Hybrids from Hell. But if all you can grow in your latitude are very specific varieties, are you really in the best latitude and micro-climate to grow the best herb in?

Where are people growing bananas? Anywhere it can grow (many places) or the best places it grows (specific latitudes and climates) ?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its the same old thing with you Bomb you want to change your stance when a real answer is given. Yes serious agricultural enterprise right in southern Oregon and Norcal. Pot has been proven to grow quite well here if you havent noticed.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Its the same old thing with you Bomb you want to change your stance when a real answer is given. Yes serious agricultural enterprise right in southern Oregon and Norcal. Pot has been proven to grow quite well here if you havent noticed.

Time will tell Babbabud. We'll see in a few years how OR or North CA herb will fare next to outdoor grown at better latitudes and climates, lets not get started on the many great varieties you can't even finish growing up there.

People are investing in CA and OR and CO because of the laws, not because their ideal climates to grow...you are old school enough to know that north cal became growers' area because it was far away, not because of its ideal climate to grow herb.

But I don't know what I'm talking about I guess, it is not like I've compared, right? I've never left my neighborhood and don't know the world if huge...

:chin:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I can't imagine a state that cannabis grows ok in allowing importation of cannabis from other states. Alaska might but Ca., Co., Or...... not so sure.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I can't imagine a state that cannabis grows ok in allowing importation of cannabis from other states. Alaska might but Ca., Co., Or...... not so sure.

But that gives "them" an incentive to legalize on a federal level, so they can sell it across state lines and tax the you know what out of it, federal AND state. :biggrin:

But none of it will mean shit to me. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts