What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poppy seeds...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for info.

Is it all poppies that have opposite flower cycle to cannabis?

If I wanted to make Papaver hybrids could I pollinate P. somniferum with any other Papaver?

I can't say, really, whether all poppies flower the same.
My poppies have been opening flowers over the last week (diminishing light cycle). I didn't expect that at all.

St. Phatty

I tried to plant them during the summer but just found out what happened when you subject poppy seedlings to summer heat.

Killed a lot of seedlings. They basically disappear, there is only a wisp left when they succumb to the heat. Then the wisp is gone and you're like, "they disappeared !!"

Finally got some traction around early September. Temps dropped about 15 degrees and finally a few batches of seeds got through the fragile early seedling period.

Once they're 2 or 3 inches high, they LIKE the bright sun.

Since the days are getting shorter fast, I'm wondering how much light energy they will have to help them with their later growth stages, when they have a stalk and try to make a flower.

The best I could do is find a grow area that gets sun when the sun is 10 degrees West of South, 190 degrees East of North for the sailors that can read an azimuth chart.

And when the sun is close to setting, it has to be above 16 degrees in the sky to make it to the garden area.

attachment.php

So October 9 I got about 200 minutes of sun.

140 minutes on November 9.

100 minutes on December 9.

It definitely works better to plant them in early spring, but it is sure interesting to plant them during the summer.

Attachments

• afternoon hours3_.jpg
    afternoon hours3_.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 19