What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Bubba Kush (fem Cross) info, grow-along and test grows.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Great work, had ta go ahead and hit the button on the last pack up, finna sprout these for my outdo organic run....

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great work, had ta go ahead and hit the button on the last pack up, finna sprout these for my outdo organic run....

Sounds like a good plan.

I had no idea about these seeds, wasnt watching for them at all but camping for another drop I saw them newly listed and only 3 packs of it left so I grabbed one. Hoping to find a nice Bubba leaner. :tiphat:

Should be fun to test out something from Verdant.

In the meantime I am currently searching for and lurking any VGS LVPKxBK grows I can find

Sounds like a good plan.

I had no idea about these seeds, wasnt watching for them at all but camping for another drop I saw them newly listed and only 3 packs of it left so I grabbed one. Hoping to find a nice Bubba leaner. :tiphat:

Should be fun to test out something from Verdant.

In the meantime I am currently searching for and lurking any VGS LVPKxBK grows I can find

Check out my album i finished 2 of VG strains they were all fire.... Dr. Konbie did the smoke test on both also.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GL with the seeds, i would say bubba was dominant in the cross but there are some lovely hints of the PK coming through. some of the sweet berryish terpenes are there in some.

i'll be sending a new batch of these in to the bay in a week or two, ready for when clarence gets back

if anyone else has feedback them it would be great to hear!

VG

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a pack germinating Verdent Green. One seed didn't survive the germination, the seed couldn't tolerate the potting mix which was @ 6.5 pH and 1.2 E.C and it caked. The others are looking sweet, I will get a picture tonight and upload it. I also have a thread that I will update weekly. I have 7 spots now and am very busy with no time to waste on shit and twats, So updates are going to take time out my schedule, all my spots are all growing big things, and these PK x BK aren't going to be big. I can tell that from the germination, there is no heterosis and there is inbreeding depression from crossing to identical siblings which has caused weakness and slowness to the seed line and it is not one I would select to grow out myself commercially out of choice now. The parents to this strain are excellent and from what I have seen of the PK it is a much better clone than Bubba, it had resistance to multiple vectors and has a bigger yield, tighter internodes more nodes per inch and more resin per gram of bud and was more vigarous in growth and outcrossed better than the Bubba. I didn't keep Bubba after some proper breeding trials as it failed the main tests.

I expect some fire in these seeds and will do them justice, the cross better do itself justice by throwing up a plant better than either parent or the cross is a dud VG.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one dave, i hope you find some fire in there!

I would agree that this is never going to be as vigorous or high yielding as a commercial hybrid, and i dont think it is necessarily a fair thing to measure it up against. From the grows i have done i would say it is a little more vigorous than both of its parents but certainly not a large amount of hybrid vigour compared to a proper F1 or multi-hybrid.
As for the clones i would disagree with you. The bubba had much tighter internodes for me - in fact i would say the PK could be a bubba hybrid itself.

what ive found with most of these types of plant is that you can get a good yield out of them in flower if you have the time to veg them up for longer, but obviously the extra time and space needs to be planned for i advance. If you run them at the same veg time as your commercial cuts then the yield will definitely suffer.

looking forward to the grow

VG

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purple Kush was found by the kushman so its not a hybrid of Bubba, you can speak to him about this. I not associate the bubba cutting with vigour or and outstanding qualities when comparable to the PK.

As for commercial viability the cross is going to be less vigarous than PK as that is as vigorous of a plant as I have it just needs crowing better VG. A mate of mine tries telling me BK is better than PK but his samples are crap and he ain't that good a grower yet and the samples are non comparable. It all falling on deaf ears VG as I sorted the cuttings out anyhow! (I can't smoke his weed)

I hope they show up a keeper mate or its a waste of a tent and a cycle for me innit!

I just filled up 45 lights of PK needless to say that I have tested them all for commercial viability VG and I did not disfigured them in a screen to try get more from them. It was not a controlled test by any means.

"Your clone lines could be suffering latent disorders from bad cultural practice and constant attack from Powder mildew and mites and thrips ext. Mine have not had that same problem I guarantee that they can reduce the turgidity and vigour."

"Also which clone puts out the nanners because that is the shittiest female trait known to cannabis." - It makes a strain totally and utterly non viable for further advancement of breeding and makes the commercial viability low and risky.

http://www.kindreviews.com/tag/kyle-kushmans-las-vegas-purple-kush/

Speak to Kyle because many sources report differing lineage such as an excellent cross between a Hindu Kush and Northern Lights. The link above, is not from the kushman himself either.

I have the genome map of PK, mapped like the Chemdog or Skunk VA cutting has been and PK it is a hybrid. There are many combinations of genes involved in the phenotype from both parental lines. I would like to find the genome map of Bubba to show you in black and white that it is not a sibling.

My education tells me that to throw nanners something is either dominant or Homogenous for being shit.

This is something that can end up in siblings with heterozygous loci, without superb breeding capabilities or mapping of the trait or poly-generic trait and with out the other present it would be hard to make a copy of it without.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi again Dave. Not heard the story from Kushman, afaik there is more than one PK. I still suspect from it's traits and smell/taste that it is a bubba cross, i may be wrong about that though - its just my opinion.

i agree with your mate, imo bubba is nicer than PK, and i can assure you MY samples are excellent ;)
ive got over 1GPW with both cuts, they just need vegging up big like i say. i wouldnt argue that either is a commercial producer though, more like headstash. i guess its a matter of opinion.
Never seen nanners on either cuts in my grows, also never seen powdery mildew on any plant i have grown ever. i have to train my plants to a screen because my grow space is not very tall... but i do ok with them :)

i think you're a good grower dave, but i think you are drawing conclusions about the cross and it's good/bad attributes a little prematurely - how about reserving judgement till after the grow and smoke test. you seemed to like the look of the cross when i grew it out - thats why i asked if you wanted to do a test grow for me.

i hope you find a keeper too, i think that you will be lucky to find a plant that betters both of it's parents in just 4 seeds, but here's hoping - you should find some good, tasty and very resinous plants if mine were anything to go by

cheers

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
perhaps both bubba and PK share a common parent / ancestor.

i think we can be pretty sure from the similarity of all the bubba S1s that it is an inbred line and not a cross though.

nice to discuss with you dave, lets keep it friendly though yes :)

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not trying to be horrible it is just part and parcel with who I have become discovering.

I would suggest that bubba was a stable plant in the main part, I want the genome so I could know for real if they were the same plant but grown under different environmental stresses over the course of getting to the UK. Perhaps it is not that they are the same but it might be that they shared the same bloodlines in ancestry or that PK is a hybrid from Bubba. Nothing is conclusive like DNA. The GCA or SCA is not the same is it as you suggest!

Do you smoke test Ital? Your weed will be pukka VG I can see it is, your a bad ass organic gymnast!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
edit - typo

if you are suggesting the Bubba and PK are the same clone then im certain they are not. The PK cut i have has a floral/berry sweet small alongside a bubba-ish funk. I swapped a few Pm's with the guy who bought it over from the states a few years back, and he was certain it was the Las Vegas cut (not the garbeville) from my description and his description.
the final internode stretch on the PK just before it tops out is much bigger than on the bubba (although the bubba is capable of a reasonable sized intenode itself...just not like the PK.
I think there is a danger of losing some great cuts when it is commercial growers who are doing the evaluation. When i picked up on the bubba cut over here a few years back it was being dropped right left and centre by the cash croppers and i can understand why... but there are obviously loads of peeps out there who are happy to sacrifice some yield for quality because the S1s have been massively popular.

thanks for the kind words dave, for whatever reason the plants seem to behave very well for me and i do get a lot of compliments for my grows and weed. My best smoking buddy toured the world smoking weed for a large part of his life, he spent a couple of years in afghanistan even, and it is very gratifying when he says that my weed is 'as good as it gets'

VG

Last edited:

greenpinky

Here is mine! Got 2 all together and I'm happy cuz they are different phenos... V.G. is the man! I'm expecting fire, cuz every V.G. bean to pop is straight dank...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they're looking nice and healthy gp! thanks for posting those.

let us know how you get on with them.

VG

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
edit - typo

if you are suggesting the Bubba and PK are the same clone then im certain they are not. The PK cut i have has a floral/berry sweet small alongside a bubba-ish funk. I swapped a few Pm's with the guy who bought it over from the states a few years back, and he was certain it was the Las Vegas cut (not the garbeville) from my description and his description.
the final internode stretch on the PK just before it tops out is much bigger than on the bubba (although the bubba is capable of a reasonable sized intenode itself...just not like the PK.
I think there is a danger of losing some great cuts when it is commercial growers who are doing the evaluation. When i picked up on the bubba cut over here a few years back it was being dropped right left and centre by the cash croppers and i can understand why... but there are obviously loads of peeps out there who are happy to sacrifice some yield for quality because the S1s have been massively popular.

thanks for the kind words dave, for whatever reason the plants seem to behave very well for me and i do get a lot of compliments for my grows and weed. My best smoking buddy toured the world smoking weed for a large part of his life, he spent a couple of years in afghanistan even, and it is very gratifying when he says that my weed is 'as good as it gets'

VG

The nodes on PK don't stretch under 'perfect conditions' from my experience, Give them some more Lumens VG, what area you on about? Etiolation?? You got any pictures of the phenomena you describe? Who you been talking to? Are you feeding plants Kelp? My PK colas are like 8" without gaps, the alternate nodes are always touching and the tops are bigger and have the ability to "Frost out" Unlike Bubba which is hermaphrodite !!!!! PK also out yields BK by an ounce a plant nearly from my experience with no training if the centre is exposed. BK can't do that!!!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey dave, perhaps the bubba performs better under my modest lighting rig :) either way though i personally much prefer the smoke from the bubba, its really a 'holy grail' smoke for me, defo in my top 3. PK is very nice too though
not sure why you think bubba is a hermi lol. ive never seen my cut herm for me or anyone else, no reports of intersex traits from the S1s, and even with colloidal silver it is very very slow to produce male flowers and pollen.

cant remember who i spoke to about the PK but he was convincing and said that it was him that first bought it over from the states. it was pretty conclusive that it was the LV cut, he knew them both inimately and the garbeville didnt sound anything like what i have.

VG

The nodes on PK don't stretch under 'perfect conditions' from my experience, Give them some more Lumens VG, what area you on about? Etiolation?? You got any pictures of the phenomena you describe? Who you been talking to? Are you feeding plants Kelp? My PK colas are like 8" without gaps, the alternate nodes are always touching and the tops are bigger and have the ability to "Frost out" Unlike Bubba which is hermaphrodite !!!!! PK also out yields BK by an ounce a plant nearly from my experience with no training if the centre is exposed. BK can't do that!!!!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pre-98 can toss a nanner on the rare occasion...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'd consider that a good round of her and I never even tried to see if that nanner was sterile or not. I've had her much more stressed than the above photos and didn't get any nanners then...

However, I do know she is capable of such...

dank.Frank