What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issue with heat

looped

Hi,
newbie here, I'm facing a problem related to the hot in here which is getting high these days.
I have a couple of plants, one is unknown ( got it by some weed and luckily she's a female), planted it at the beginning of April in a vase, I'm having it in a kind of greenhouse on the roof. This greenhouse isn't completely closed but it's like that
2vqm.jpg

The green parts are in real white sheets while the top is polycarbonate.
Size is: 200 cm height, 180 cm width and 280 cm depth.
That's been quite cool in April and May where the weather was not optimal
for the past years average but now the temperature raised a lot.
Today should be 36 C° which means a higher temperature inside of the
greenhouse.
Since I'm a newbie but i guess she would not really enjoy such temperature but I don't have many options..that's the best place I can keep it in, or some
other but at the shadow.
So I need your experience here to let everything goes well!
Can I just put a fan inside? (I did that)
How can I notice when she's going to suffer because of the temperature? I really need to raise down it I guess.
The other plant is an automatic, auto skunk mass (opinion on that?)
Since it has less than 3 weeks now and it's not a beast :) like the other one I'm leaving it in the greenhouse only during the night. But yesterday it was really hot and during the evening I noticed a couple of leaves have dry top and at the borders I can notice some lighter spots. What to do with that? Can I put it at the shadow too? Maybe during the hottest hours (11am - 2pm) ?
Could I take this remedy for the other plant too?
I hope you can clear my doubts!

Hazeo

Veteran
Hey looped!

Quite some questions, let work them down...

As it seems you are growing quite close to me (at least i am assuming), but i am "doing" mainly outdoors guerillia style; anyways.
But nonetheless i am experienced a bit with greenhouses as well, sooo....

Okay, of course you can put a fan inside.
-Concerning that i need to know if the "real white sheets" (btw. what´s that exactly???; doesn´t sound so translucent...) close up succinctly. What i am mean is, is there a gap between them? -On your drawing it seems like the vertical black beam closes the greenhouse on the top^^

I would recommend to have a gap underneath the roof in order to ensure a airexchange/-flow. If you have that kind of gap in between yet (in order to get the chimney-effect) and its still too hot, i would definitely put a fan inside.
Of course you should use a normal extractor fan (when it gets SO hot in that greenhouse buy at least a 500m²/h fan), NOT a cheap homeuse-table fan!!! If you have some additional money left buy a "step-down-transformator" (or even better a climacontroller) as well, so you can regulate the extraction-volume down at night.

Thinking about it, i would say you should definitely build in a fan. If there are gaps under the roof now, close them all; and build in the fan directly under the roof (where the biggest heat stucks). But don´t install it in the front, where the sunny side of your greenhouse is (on your drawing it seems like that it has a wall in the back; right?); do it in the back where the wall is. So you can suck out the higher moisture that will occur on the more shady backwards side of the GH.

Generally plants can take quite some heat, imho sativas quite more than indicas. Especially outdoorplants get along with that.
But when exposed to big heat it is definitely important to support the plants with plenty of water and fresh air! Keep that in mind.
When it is so hot at your GH and you dont have huuuuge pots, i would advice to autowatering; or you could flood the GH floor several times a day (if really needed).

But two plants on your quite big space is not much! try to get some others that u can put there as well...

An advice concerning your autoflower plant: try to avoid every kind of stress. this plant will finish in a fixed time; stress like less water, wounds, takeing cuttings, repotting, etc. will
definitely throw them back in their growing-potential that they could have reached in their default growing time.

You can notice that your plants suffer from temperatures when they start to fold up their leaves lengthways as well it can occur that the leave fringes point up.
As well the leaves can curl upwards and get dry at the edges.

Concerning putting them outside at the hottest point of the day i would just advise you to install a sunshade in that way, that it spends its shadow exactly to the GH at hottest daytime...

Concerning spot issues on your plants we need some good photos to help you.
"some lighter spots" could be anything...

good luck!
Hazeo

looped

Hey Hazeo!
Thank you for your reply, I'm going to explain it better:

Hey looped!

-Concerning that i need to know if the "real white sheets" (btw. what´s that exactly???; doesn´t sound so translucent...) close up succinctly. What i am mean is, is there a gap between them? -On your drawing it seems like the vertical black beam closes the greenhouse on the top^^

Oh yes, I made a mistake in the drawing, there's a gap on top of it on the front panel, lets say around 5 cm. Material is like this one:

IMAG0336.jpg

It's kind of translucent from the inside so it can reflects well the light, plus the
other walls are white.
The gap is only there though, on the top front but on the other sides is closed.
Temperature now when it's 1.35pm is around 34 C° and I'm using a normal fan :\
Thinking about it, i would say you should definitely build in a fan. If there are gaps under the roof now, close them all; and build in the fan directly under the roof (where the biggest heat stucks). But don´t install it in the front, where the sunny side of your greenhouse is (on your drawing it seems like that it has a wall in the back; right?);
Yes, walls are both on the left and right and back and the top is made of polycarbonate.
Generally plants can take quite some heat, imho sativas quite more than indicas. Especially outdoorplants get along with that.
But when exposed to big heat it is definitely important to support the plants with plenty of water and fresh air! Keep that in mind.
Thank you for these advices, yes I'm giving plenty of water especially these
days, luckily in a few days the weather should be fresher so it will be ok.
To show you how it looks like..I've planted it the 7th April and now it looks
like that:
img_550.jpg

When it is so hot at your GH and you dont have huuuuge pots, i would advice to autowatering; or you could flood the GH floor several times a day (if really needed).
But two plants on your quite big space is not much! try to get some others that u can put there as well...
How do you mean flood? Giving water from the top? Or maybe put some water pots inside..sorry I didn't get it. Well I just have that two :)
An advice concerning your autoflower plant: try to avoid every kind of stress. this plant will finish in a fixed time; stress like less water, wounds, takeing cuttings, repotting, etc. will
definitely throw them back in their growing-potential that they could have reached in their default growing time.
thanks..understood
You can notice that your plants suffer from temperatures when they start to fold up their leaves lengthways as well it can occur that the leave fringes point up.
As well the leaves can curl upwards and get dry at the edges.
Exactly what happened with the AF one..I see leaves pointing up and folding a bit and dried at the edges.
Concerning putting them outside at the hottest point of the day i would just advise you to install a sunshade in that way, that it spends its shadow exactly to the GH at hottest daytime...
Nice idea :)
Concerning spot issues on your plants we need some good photos to help you.
"some lighter spots" could be anything...
Oh you replied previously, that's the heat stress..
that's the AF one
img_265.jpg

Cheers!

looped

Ah I forgot to add..I don't know what kind of plant is the bigger one. I got some seed from weed..do you have idea?

Hazeo

Veteran
The gap is only there though, on the top front but on the other sides is closed.
Temperature now when it's 1.35pm is around 34 C° and I'm using a normal fan :\
with this fan it will be hard to work efficiently. or you can try to build it into a tube that u can put throw the upper part of your white sheeds (thought about it again: when there is a wall in the back, the only way to lead the air out on that side would be through the roof; and that is shit, especially when it gets rainy). -with that u would get maximum power of your cheap fan (but better buy a new one; you will do further grows for sure, so its an investment thats worth)

Thank you for these advices, yes I'm giving plenty of water especially these
days, luckily in a few days the weather should be fresher so it will be ok.
Of course you dont have to water too much ;)
But the soil-temperature is very important!

To show you how it looks like..I've planted it the 7th April and now it looks
like that:
View Image
lookin very good so far.
-it seems the leaves are getting little bright on the lower plant of the plant. It seems they start to need some more N at the moment.
How do you mean flood? Giving water from the top? Or maybe put some water pots inside..sorry I didn't get it.
u could put a plastic on the floor or a garland-case; something like that. than your plants can suck the water from the floor throught he pot...

that's the AF one
View Image
looking good as well :D

greets
Hazeo

looped

with this fan it will be hard to work efficiently. or you can try to build it into a tube that u can put throw the upper part of your white sheeds (thought about it again: when there is a wall in the back, the only way to lead the air out on that side would be through the roof; and that is shit, especially when it gets rainy). -with that u would get maximum power of your cheap fan (but better buy a new one; you will do further grows for sure, so its an investment thats worth)
I might punch a hole in the polycarbonate on the roof..that would be probably as you say the best way to let the air flows. I'd have to create a sort of window because it needs to stay well closed when it rains.
Of course you dont have to water too much ;)
But the soil-temperature is very important!
Yes for that reason I've put (you cannot see it in the picture) so sheets around the vase to avoid making it too hot.

lookin very good so far.
-it seems the leaves are getting little bright on the lower plant of the plant. It seems they start to need some more N at the moment.
Oh I see. I was giving some beef blood but actually I didn't give that much. Today or tomorrow I might receive the biobuzz bio grow, can I give that one?
And when should I start giving the blossom stuff? I've read it's good to give
at the beginning of August. Actually I don't know if this plant is a sativa or indica..as I know the sative takes longer
u could put a plastic on the floor or a garland-case; something like that. than your plants can suck the water from the floor throught he pot...
Oh I understand..ok thank you again ;)

Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts