What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Biosynthesis

Veteran
It does sound very interesting and sounds right up your alley. It amazes me how much produce urban farmers can turn out in such small spaces. You better post a pic of your tomatoes they are really spectacular and I like how you have the bottoms so nice and tidy like our precious smoke is done. It's Friday night!:woohoo:

captain planet

Veteran
Late night bio! Early sat here :) this is my 3:30am wake and cruise ic till I get another 3 hrs in .... You asked for it
picture.php

picture.php

That's my squash Lol
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
One other thing...
do you suggest I get seeds, starts or just plant an old spud with eyes on it?
Is that what you do and if so, some guidance perhaps?
I read some things about that not working too well because of stuff they treat them with. *shrugs*
I plan on asking at the garden center and I know they'll try to sell me something. Maybe someone will catch this before that and save me a few bucks because the ones in the pantry will work. :tiphat:

Either way you are going to end up with baddass potatoes. If the eyes have sprouted then they should turn out potatoes faster. Someone told me a few years back to cut my potatoes into pieces before planting them. Bullshit, just to spite him I planted whole spuds. The whole spuds soul purpose is to send out more tuber shoots, so I could give a crap weather it rots or not as its done it's job of simply making more potatoes. Trust me, either buy the potatoes or plant the ones you got in the pantry. End product is still potatoes. Im leaning to the idea that there isnt any difference between 'seed' potato and a bag o' taters from the store. Perhaps there is a potato guru out of Idaho who can teach us proper potato edicate. :tiphat:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i had bought a bag of seed potatoes and forgot about them and they were all rooted out and getting squishy but the took right off as soon as i put them in the ground...

Hazy Eye

So after a $40 trip to the garden center I ended up with a nice little stash of goodies.
A Yukon Gold & a Kennepec spuds, planted in coco and already full of spuds. I made their holes deep and filled w/ peet, compost, dirt at about 40/40/20. They should go off.

Also grabbed the peat, couple dozen corn starts, orange & white peppers starts, huge pumpkin start and a nice lemon cucumber start that I'm gonna run up the fence.

Last but not least, the blu-burry bush got replanted into a 75/25 mix of the peat and should show big changes soon. I also added a couple handfuls of compost in here.

Everybody's stuff looks great!
I would imagine it's the same most places folks....
if you are off to a late start, a trip to the local garden center can put you back weeks ahead of where you are.
After losing over 50 well rooted start of various plants, 3-6" tall already....well, I feel the pain. We got put behind early on but these new plants make me feel like I'm right back in there! I'll never catch Bio....but I want to try and do the best I can with what I've got to work with.

Everybody s stuff looks outstanding.
Keep it green folks.
Enjoy Your weekend.

:plant grow:

CoMedUsr

Yum Blueberries~!

Yum Blueberries~!

Okay here's two photos of my raised mound on the south side of the yard.

Consists of: red, yellow & spring onion, garlic, shallots & 2 rows of swiss chard.

I made this mound with the french intensive method and it's too heavy in manure! The chard is salty. Is there anything I can do??! F@$K me..The manure was aged 3-5 years; alpacka, sheep and some horse.

Learning via experience I guess. I even drenched all the manure in buckets of water before putting in 8 inches or so (double dug down).

Love to hear your two cents peoples~

Edit: I'm gonna add about a half lb. of Euro earthworms tomorrow. Good idea! I have btwn 2-3 lbs of euros right now. I also just got access to my neighbors ditch pump and can water this bed much more will should make a difference.

Least the onions will be not salty, ha!

Attachments

• raisedmoundmidJune1.jpg
    raisedmoundmidJune1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • raisedmoundmidJune2.jpg
    raisedmoundmidJune2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 18
  • BI_plantingguidePLOTfinal.jpg
    BI_plantingguidePLOTfinal.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Darien_final_design_222.jpg
    Darien_final_design_222.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
well thanks for the new perspective, I have had good luck with kennebec and yukon gold just by planting slices of potato directly in the soil. but for the first time ever, tried beans from seedlings since soil was too wet for direct sow at the time. seems they are doing great even though it is again too wet to plant or even weed and have rivers flowing through my garden! I will try the potatoes in coco next year for sure, thanks for a great idea!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
OB-
Yes if you guys get sick of looking at my garden there's some on this road I could take pictures of that are 4 times the size of mine. Although impressive gardens, I am way ahead of the competition. Anticipating seeing some fine gardens this summer on IC. We have some top notch growers in the cannabis community.

Stunky-
LOU KANG,............. Twaaahhh

self

picture.php

Here is my potato patch, in the back is a hugulcuture mound. The hugulcuture is basically a shallow trench, filled with logs and brush and forest debrisand mounded to a height of four to six feet, then the mound is buried with earth and/or sod, and planted. The rotting network of brush and logs retains moisture and structure. I planted those in the hugulcuture mound earlier than the ones in the garden bed, but they are already bigger than my potatoes are in August! Might have to try it with cannabis next season. I planted the top with sunflowers peas and beans, but they are just coming up. In the garden bed are cabbage and onions too, but they are smallish in comparison with the potatoes!
Have a good one!
:tree:
Self

Biosynthesis

Veteran
LAST YEARS GARDEN

LAST YEARS GARDEN

HERE IS ANOTHER PICTURE FROM LAST YEARS GARDEN.

Can you explain what's happening here other than the corn...thanks!

Jose' just got done smoking a spliff of Durban Poison and is very happy in the picture and feels liberated.

On the left in front of the corn is Blue lake and Roman pole beans. Just in front of that is some Wando peas, fallowed by a row of Scalopini summer squash. Just in front of them is a row of bush beans(dragons tongue). In front of that a row of onions that got engulfed and therefore did not produce last year. A giant row of mixed potatoes (russet, red, yukon gold). Closest to the camera is several rows of beets. Also a row of turnips on the other side of taters that got engulfed like the onions but produced well. The sea of green on the right is all squash. They didnt all fit into the picture but there is Acorn, crookneck, zuchini (green and yellow), pumpkin, watermelon and Banana squash.

Self-
nice country potato patch. I recently discovered what hugelculture is and think it is a great idea, although I havent employed one yet.

Hazy-
Score! Great trip to the nursery. I actually started my first row of corn indoors this year to get an early start. The potatoes look like perfect eggs embedded in the coco. Often wondered why people bothered to grow potatoes when they could be purchased so cheap in the grocery. Then I ate a few directly from the ground. Never get store bought again. Even the ones that have been stored since last fall are far better than any store bought. Enjoy!

The garden has just hit it's stride and is growing remarkably well now. Bought a jug of 5-1-1 Alaska fish emulsion and fed yesterday. I am not much on liquid feeding and last year the garden got just 2 feedings of Alaska. Firm believer in just amending the soil. Made some Stinging Nettle tea I made 3 weeks back. This is something I havent tried before but thought I would give it a try. It smells like Grandmas farts, so it must be good for plants right?

Alaska 5-1-1 is OMRI listed and I paid $15.97 at BI-Mart. A jug is more than enough for the season. Do not buy the Alaska 0-10-10 morebloom. Read on the back in fine print. Contains Arsenic and heavy metals and is not OMRI listed.
After buying the Alaska I am under 50$ invested in the garden. Selling my extra produce will put me even or a little better after electricity to pump the water.
Harvested the first green zuchiini the day before yesterday. Have me a row of corn already tassleing. Kandy Korn, an early hybrid I grew last year as well. The ears are sweet and good but not remarkable. Its main attribute is speed. After it is harvested in July, The plan is to lay in another row to see if It is possible to get a double harvest in my climate.:tiphat:

Have a great grow season all. Thank you for sharing.