What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OMG!! New Dope Plant Doesn't Get People Stoned!!

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
OMG!! New Dope Plant Doesn't Get People Stoned!!
According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.
"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant - it's all the same - but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.
"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.
According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.
Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.
Despite the innovation, it is unlikely to have any impact on Israeli law, which outlaws the use of marijuana as illegal except for medical purposes.
According to figures published earlier this year by Sheba Medical Centre and the Israel Cancer Association, medical marijuana has been approved for use by about 6,000 Israelis suffering from various illnesses.

This had to happen I suppose, us Stoners obviously get too much fun out of our weed, so lets take the Stone and the Munchies out of the HIGH!! They are saying that they have kept the CBD properties intact in the plant just the THC is removed.
What do you all think about that???? :chin:
Will the Governments of the World start spreading this new type of No Stone Marijuana because they have taken the HIGH away??
I find News Reports like this fracking scarey :yoinks:

Links to stories:-
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8476087
http://www.smh.com.au/world/kiss-hi...nvent-stonefree-marijuana-20120531-1zju0.html
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/05/killjoy-scientists-have-bred-the-fun-out-of-medical-marijuana/
And many more are in the News Section of our favourite search engine Google :bigeye:

SourPurp

Israeli Scientists Invent "Cannabis Without the High"

Israeli Scientists Invent "Cannabis Without the High"

Buncha idiots...hope pollen from these plants isn't 'purposefully' spread out into the wild...From Bangkok Post:"Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol."It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species."Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.Despite the innovation, it is unlikely to have any impact on Israeli law, which outlaws the use of marijuana as illegal except for medical purposes.According to figures published earlier this year by Sheba Medical Centre and the Israel Cancer Association, medical marijuana has been approved for use by about 6,000 Israelis suffering from various illnesses.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.

"Suffer"?

This should really prove beneficial to medical users who need to maintain their weight due to nausea and loss of appetite. (snark warning for the impaired)

S

SeaMaiden

First, I'm calling BS on Israeli scientists being the first to invent low-THC high-CBD strains. Others have been working on this, for years, and have come out first.

Second, I happen to see it as a real boon to the entire MMJ movement. There are a LOT of people who don't care for the feeling of getting high. There is a huge amount of stigma associated with the movement for a variety of reasons, so let me give those of you who think this is just awful something more to think about, some scenarios where a zero-THC strain would be ideal.

First consideration: medical patients, in the first place. Think about it, a lot of us are accused of becoming medical *only* so we can get high. This seriously detracts from the real benefits many, many people experience, irrespective of the high that's induced by THC. A low-to-zero THC variety will nullify those arguments against allowing MMJ in all states and around the world.

Second consideration: medical patient who's employed by an employer who uses drug testing. Drug testing for cannabis is only for THC. Guess what happens if you're smoking a zero-THC variety. That's right, no detectable levels of THC, medical patient gets to stay employed.

Third, it very well may turn out that the high-CBD (and CBN?) varieties offer better medical value to the patient.

Fourth, it could possibly allow more room for recreational use of high-THC varieties, thus forever separating and closing down the debates over whether or not a user is medical or recreational.

If these high-CBD varieties are really that good at reducing pain (not to mention other effects, remember, the Israelis are at the forefront of cannabis research), then I want to try them out. I love getting high, but getting rid of the constant pain is BETTER.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
pretty sure their are weak strains all over as specially in the desert I remember getting a bag o ganja , and it came with a collinder to seperate all the bs stick seeds and sand.... they prob just brought some of that shit to work,,,
TS

SourPurp

"doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes..." Sorry but if I'm not getting stoned, that's NOT HELPING. lol What the fuck. And like someone else said, smoking weed and not getting stoned is called 'regs', 'downtown browns', 'Border buds', etc, ad nauseum...not a new invention. I can't stand hearing this same argument over and that getting 'high' is somehoe medically undesirable. Tell me, if your using herb to treat your depression (your mind is low), and you smoke some killa medical mj get HIGH and your feeling better, isn't that the whole fucking point? And now some scientist comes along and says we're gonna re-engineer that shit cause we don't like you getting high? fuck that.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First, I'm calling BS on Israeli scientists being the first to invent low-THC high-CBD strains. Others have been working on this, for years, and have come out first.

Second, I happen to see it as a real boon to the entire MMJ movement. There are a LOT of people who don't care for the feeling of getting high. There is a huge amount of stigma associated with the movement for a variety of reasons, so let me give those of you who think this is just awful something more to think about, some scenarios where a zero-THC strain would be ideal.

First consideration: medical patients, in the first place. Think about it, a lot of us are accused of becoming medical *only* so we can get high. This seriously detracts from the real benefits many, many people experience, irrespective of the high that's induced by THC. A low-to-zero THC variety will nullify those arguments against allowing MMJ in all states and around the world.

Second consideration: medical patient who's employed by an employer who uses drug testing. Drug testing for cannabis is only for THC. Guess what happens if you're smoking a zero-THC variety. That's right, no detectable levels of THC, medical patient gets to stay employed.

Third, it very well may turn out that the high-CBD (and CBN?) varieties offer better medical value to the patient.

Fourth, it could possibly allow more room for recreational use of high-THC varieties, thus forever separating and closing down the debates over whether or not a user is medical or recreational.

If these high-CBD varieties are really that good at reducing pain (not to mention other effects, remember, the Israelis are at the forefront of cannabis research), then I want to try them out. I love getting high, but getting rid of the constant pain is BETTER.

Great post, SeaMaiden. As a chronic pain/opiate patient, I have come to prize the combination of sobriety and being pain free. I have nothing whatsoever against getting high - I've been doing it for decades. However, I enjoy it when it is my choice, not when it is the inevitable result of simply trying to feel better.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont know if this is the same company but I own 1,000 shares of CBIS see below.

=========================================================

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., May 30, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Cannabis Science, Inc.

(OTCBB: CBIS) a pioneering U.S. biotech company developing pharmaceutical cannabis (marijuana) products, is excited to announce that it has created the "Cannabis Science Research Foundation". The Cannabis Science Research Foundation is a new source of hope for a world where numerous critical medical conditions affect millions of people in the United States alone, and do not have satisfactory treatment options. This Foundation will be unique in that it is dedicated to bring new findings about the endocannabinoid system and how phytocannabinoids can modulate it's activity with the aim of facilitating the translational work necessary for widespread medical implementation.

The Foundation will be funded internally and externally through donations, and fundraising charity events, such as charity black tie events, fundraising dinner events, concerts, movie showings, documentaries, etc.

The company realizes that in order to bring cannabis-based medications and remedies to the mainstream market, extensive research is necessary. The Foundation will target numerous critical ailments Cannabis Science has identified by working with patients in medical cannabis states. Our patient oriented research helps us in determining appropriate treatments and guides Cannabis Science's development of new products for each of the Company's targeted national and international distribution markets. Of course, all of your efforts move the Company closer to entering the FDA to perform federally approved clinical studies so that medical claims can be justified.

The initial focus of the Foundation will begin with cancer treatment. The Company has already reported the apparent success with self-medicated cancer patients using its formulations on basal and squamous cell carcinomas (please see the website at

and click on "Breaking News"). These findings have spearheaded more cancer research necessary for understanding the influence cannabis can have on the illness. Additional research will be supplemented by the Foundation.

All the funds raised in the Foundation will provide the financial strength to support research efforts, including new developments that will be announced soon.

In addition to research, advocacy and education are fundamental parts of the Foundation's mission. The current conventional medical industry lacks a holistic understanding about the endocannabinoid system and the benefits cannabis has for those who are ill. Through education, the Foundation hopes to change the mainstream view of cannabis and create a standard for developing safe, effective medications that will be the model for what cannabis medicine can be. The foundation's board of directors, currently being assembled, will bring together experience and knowledge in the relevant scientific, financial, regulatory and political fields of medical cannabis. The Cannabis Science Research Foundation hopes that you will follow and contribute to our development by coming on board and donating to this exciting and much needed cause.

About Cannabis Science, Inc.

Cannabis Science, Inc. is at the forefront of pharmaceutical grade medical marijuana research and development. The second formulations will address the needs of patients choosing to use concentrated cannabis extracts to treat their ailments. Eventually, all Americans will have access to a safe and effective FDA approved medicine regardless of which state they live in. To maintain that marijuana is a dangerous, addictive drug with no medical value is scientifically absurd. Cannabis medicines, with no effective lethal dose, are far safer than aspirin, acetaminophen, and most other OTC drugs that kill thousands of Americans every year.

SoCoMMJ

I would grow this strain without question. We have numerous patients that this would benefit from this combination of low THC high CBD.

S

SeaMaiden

"doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes..." Sorry but if I'm not getting stoned, that's NOT HELPING. lol What the fuck. And like someone else said, smoking weed and not getting stoned is called 'regs', 'downtown browns', 'Border buds', etc, ad nauseum...not a new invention. I can't stand hearing this same argument over and that getting 'high' is somehoe medically undesirable. Tell me, if your using herb to treat your depression (your mind is low), and you smoke some killa medical mj get HIGH and your feeling better, isn't that the whole fucking point? And now some scientist comes along and says we're gonna re-engineer that shit cause we don't like you getting high? fuck that.
So you can't stand the fact that some people don't like the feeling of being high? I personally detest the feeling of being drunk, so I don't drink. I occasionally have *maybe* 2-3oz of wine, which affects me quite a lot.

It's great that for you the whole point is to get high, feel that buzz. But what about other people, all the thousands of people who do not utilize cannabis specifically due to the high and the stigma created around it? Are you able to move outside the realm of your own experiences and, perhaps, consider things from a different perspective?

Yes, it's not new, we agree on that. But these scientists aren't just making it low-to-no THC, they're also increasing CBDs (I'll assume they're also working on other cannabinoids, terpenes, flavanoids, plant secondary metabolites in their whole as they're worthy of examination), which is what I'm asserting there have already been breeders working on, and I wouldn't begin to compare the careful crafting they're practicing with what you're talking about. And they're doing it without all the nifty lab gear or ability to grow at a scale equivalent to, and using methods similar to any other agricultural crop.

This is the other part of the picture I think you're missing here. WE need more research, and so here's someone doing the kind of research Uncle Sam *doesn't* want done, and it's pissing you off. The only part about it that bothers me is the idea that my ability and right to grow my own, whatever type(s) I prefer, may be removed from me and given to pharmaceutical companies. Yet at the same time once pharmaceutical companies get in on it, it suddenly becomes that much more acceptable to the general, non-partaking public.

Is that really such a bad thing?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

he didn't invent anything imho

most of the modern medical movement are working with the same gene pools gotten from the same commercial or mainstream sources

there are weeds out there for every ailment and don't let science fool you otherwise

many of those high cbd are tropical long running and dont appeal to commercial markets

Snoopster

Veteran
Buncha idiots...hope pollen from these plants isn't 'purposefully' spread out into the wild...

Your concern is unfounded. releasing pollen of this plant in the wild will do what, make ditchweed have better CBDs?

They are far from idiots. They have had many great breakthroughs studying cannabis. We could do the same if not for our shit government.

Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.

That doesn't make sense. I thought CBD was responsible for the munchies. "Suffer" that is dumb. I suffer from a bad gut, weed helps.

Researchers at the growing center, located in the northern Galilee region, reduced the amount of THC in the plant and increased the presence of CBD, another chemical that previous research has shown could be effective against diabetes and various psychological disorders, and possibly prevent the spread of cancer.

This is great. I know of a dispensary that has developed their own low THC, high CBD strain.

I would definitely use it if it helped with my gut and did not get me high. Or perhaps mix it with strong weed for people not accustomed to real weed.

I do not understand any of the hate for studying cannabis and improving the lives of ill people with a plant.

he didn't invent anything imho

most of the modern medical movement are working with the same gene pools gotten from the same commercial or mainstream sources

there are weeds out there for every ailment and don't let science fool you otherwise

many of those high cbd are tropical long running and dont appeal to commercial markets

Well,in fairness, a reworking of existing elements would technically be considered an 'invention'...but I get the gist.

The question I'd like answered is why aren't we scouring the rain forests,or what's left, for an actual new substance that could possibly cure cancer,or baldness (by default)...I have neither,but would seem just as worthwhile a pursuit.

I fucking HATE propaganda

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha! I've seen plenty of 'nope' over the years. Looks like dope. smells like dope, burns like dope but NOPE!!! there ain't no stone.......

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
good for israel i guess :biglaugh:

the illegitimate cancer that it is,,

BTW all cancers of the body have been cured and they are sat in a vault in the rockerfeller center, but since the same people perpetuate the causes of those mechanisms going awry they aren't exactly going to allow the masses in on it..

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
ok, first of all, Tikun Olam is not made up of scientists, that alone reveals how stupid the journalists that wrote the article really are.

what's this company Tikun Olam? they simply are some old heads that had the necessary networking to get the first permission to grow medical cannabis for patients in Israel.

the guy who founded it used to organize raves before that; so, no, not a scientist, nor do they have hired scientists doing any obscure lab-work "inventing" plants, please.

fucking journalists, pure scum.

Latest posts

Latest posts