What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rust colored spots on leaves followed by yellowing and dying. lack of mg?

J dubb

Hey guys looking for some help here. I will do the best I can do describe the situation I am having at the moment, any input much appreciated.

I have a trainwreck x og kush cross I have planted outside in 25 gal pots with foxfarm ocean forest soil. They just entered third week of flowering. Feeding once a week and watering with the hose water (7.1 ph, 100ppm) every other day. Nutrients I have been using are floranova bloom, foxfarm open sesame and bud candy applied once a week at 1500 ppm with a ph of 6.5. I recently noticed rust colored spots on newer leaves accompanied by yellowing and dying of older leaves. Newer leaves with rust spots are really brittle. I have 8 of these plants and only a few of them are showing these symptoms. Once I noticed this problem last week I consulted the grow bible and it seems to be from a lack of magnesium.. so last time I fed them I added cal/mag at 8ml per gallon along with the rest of the nutrients.

It seems the plants having this problem have a bit of shade during the day and maybe dont need as much water as the rest, so I am wondering if the soil is too wet and is locking out mg? Other than this the plants look really healthy and are not stunted compared to the others. It is hard for me to tell if the problem is getting worse or staying about the same as I am in the garden every 10 minutes staring at them haha. Just wondering if my conclusion of lack of mg is correct or if I am having a different issue here, thanks everyone.

statusquo

If only some of the plants are showing it and they are all from clone, I would assume it's a bacterial problem or some kind of infection. If you are feeding all the plants the same and only some exhibit symptoms, shouldn't be a deficiency.

J dubb

These are some big plants.. 3-4 feet tall but all are tied down so about 8 feet around. Here are some better pictures of leaves on the vine.. Thanks for the input guys.

avanovich

check out the threads on fungus gnats and root aphids. after thinking mine had mg deficiency for a few months I have actually realised it is down to an infestation of the fungus gnats which stop the roots from accessing enough nutes. theres loads of info on this forum about them

I

In~Plain~Site

Get the pH squared first. I like to start as close to nuetral (6.0) as possible.

Not familar with FFOF, but is there any Dolo Lime in the mix?

Sometimes multiple issues can throw us a bit, start with the simplest to fix :)

GL :yes:

J dubb

ph of 7.0 is neutral...
Yup, I will be checking the ph of the soil today.

Again it's only a few of the tw x og plants that are showing these signs. My purple diesel, bubba and og strains are doing just fine.

Thanks for the input it is much appreciated.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Feeding once a week and watering with the hose water (7.1 ph, 100ppm) every other day.

If only some of the plants are showing it and they are all from clone, I would assume it's a bacterial problem or some kind of infection. If you are feeding all the plants the same and only some exhibit symptoms, shouldn't be a deficiency.

Try a white, camping hose. They don't grow bacteria like the green, garden variety.

J dubb

With a .5 scale TDS meter, it's 3.0 EC. With a .7 scale, it's just over 2. Knowing your conversion will give you the EC because TDS (ppm) varies between scales.

I have a hanna 9813 I believe it is the .7 scale. I'm going to recalibrate the meter today and check the soil ph.

praisehim.

Veteran
I've had the same thing. Its a LOCKOUT. drop your ph to 6.0, and feed only the basics (progrow/calmag) and then as it starts to recover start adding more. But keep that ph between 6.0-6.3.
and my friend works at a hydro shop, the ph pens always get returned. just use the drops by gh, theyre much more of a guarantee.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I have a hanna 9813 I believe it is the .7 scale. I'm going to recalibrate the meter today and check the soil ph.

I think I read a .7 meter uses 1500 calibration solution. .5 uses 1382. 1500 on my meter would be 3 EC, prolly enough to burn plants up. In your case, not so much.