What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

electric help

I need some help on what to tell the contractor what I want, specifically for the power needs to run 4 1k lights along with a/c, fans, etc.

I want it done right the first time and have no clue about electrical work, I dont want the contractor skimping on my needs nor overdoing it as well.

This will be a new build from the ground up separate from the house in a garage.

Thanks for any advice

S

sparkjumper

First you have to be very specific about exactly what you want and where you want it.Short of having an electrician that grows himself I wouldnt know what to say the loads are for.Thats why if you have specific directions and he sees you are not breaking code or being a dumbass,he's not liable to even bring up what the loads will be.The only reason and electrician would be interested in the loads would be so he would know what size wire to run among other things.If you come to him saying I want this mounted here using this sized wire on this sized breaker,that sort of thing.We can probably help you here if we know exactly what your situation is and what you want to accomplish.

I want everything, a new meter from the power company on to breaker box and whatever else I need.

I dont plan to run 220 unless its recommended by one of you pros

I am a legal patient/caregiver abiding by all state law so I have nothing to hide but the contractor is a friend of the family so I have no worries.

240 volts (220 oldskool) is a must for 4, 1K lights. On 115 volts, 4 1K's would pull 37-38 amps just by themselves. Running them 240v cuts that by almost half, allowing a 50 amp subpanel to be totally safe but have plenty of reserve amperage for A/C, fans, pumps, etc. Your power needs will grow in time for sure.

Tell the electrician (only if he asks) that you are setting up 2 small electric 240 volt, 12 amp ceramics kilns to fire pottery and you want a quad of 240v receptacles on a 30 amp breaker and a quad (or 2) of 115v receptacles on a separate 20 amp breaker.

So what you need is a 50 amp or even a 60 amp subpanel off of your main panel and think about where you want everything to be and have him fish the walls and put it where you want it.

Don't tell anyone who isn't living in your home anything even if you are legal. Loose lips sink ships.

stagehand

dtfsux

yes you want 240. It doesnt save money on the bill, it just makes things easier to wire and more practical.

I agree with stagehand. You need to plan the grow, what system,, pumps, fans, etc, and know where everything will go. Then tell the contractor what you want, and where.

On the kiln, check to see if they have different plugs. That would suck if he installed a dryer type outlet. Not a biggie but sucks if you dont know how to change the outlet

PharmaCan

Veteran
It sounds like you are talking about a complete service upgrade. (New main panel.) Is this correct?

240 volts is just two 120v lines. You've already got it, whether you want it or not, so you might as well use it.

I'd have the electrician wire a 60 amp sub-panel to the garage and go from there. It's more than you need for now, but there's nothing wrong with a little over-sizing.

PC