What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hippies water cooled over-haul. (iceboxes)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Antifreeze raises the boiling point of water, and lowers the freezing point. It does not enhance heat transfer, but Redline Water wetter does.

thisnthat

Saaweeet!! I was considering getting Ice Boxes. Im cooling 6 - 8in cool tubes with 1000's, its only good when outside temps are 50 degrees or less.

rty007

I am sorry for digging it up, but either i am not that much of a reader as i always thought i was, or it does not say, what are those cooling blocks called? and since they seem to fit in just perfectly, i would be thrilled to know the name. please? :)

M

milehighmedical

I could not handle all that. I've had plenty of computers that I water cooled so I'm not new to the concept. But with something like a grow room it's better to Keep It Simple. Why create more things that can go wrong. Water and electricity just don't mix... and the more you can separate the two, the better. But I guess that's why I'm still growing in the dark ages of soil, haha.

rty007

and the more you can separate the two, the better. But I guess that's why I'm still growing in the dark ages of soil
not really.. i mean take cigars for example, there are those that are hand-rolled and those that are machine-rolled, as it is with growing you grow in soil most likely full organic way, not hydro with its lets face it... unless you use fish craped water that your little "mr. nemo" craped into, you have no freaking idea what is in those "organic" nuts. Look at those cigars, the hand rolled once are better, they are each touched by a man or a woman who leaves a piece of her in it, just as it seams that those who grow in hydro setups go first and far the most for yeild, not that i am not interested in that ;) but it sure as hell is the least concern. So i think my point and all that BS rumbling is to say that it doesn't mean it is worse, retarded or whatever, it is just different that's all.
my 2 coppers ;)

C

coconaut

DIGITALHIPPY - that's a fantastic system you've got. Those 8" Iceboxes that are attached to your lights, do they generated a lot of condensation and drip water?

D

dongle69

Much simpler with one of these instead of all those ice boxes:
http://www.progressive-growth.com/proddetail.php?prod=heatexlb
heatexchanger-l.gif

M

Mr-B

Hi Digital :wave:

Bro, your a stud! Your setup is so pro it makes mine look stupid.
I'm sure you have years of practice at this and know how to make it all work in harmony. That's the real key to using this type of system.
Don't be suprised if I hit you up with a bunch of questions.
Thanks for posting your grow show.

B

D

deepforest

i read a hydro innovations sponsored article in some grow mag recently and it struck me as odd that they reccomend you buy all their shit: heat exchangers, water chillers, etc. etc. and run it all as a recirculating system to water cool your room. personally, if i couldnt run drain to waste i wouldnt bother running water cooled anything because for the price of a water chiller and all those heat exchangers you could just buy 1 water cooled air conditioner or a nice split system or a nice kwikkool ducted unit.

ps. dongle those 3fan heat exchangers are the bomb as far as their price goes and how many lights they can cool provided you have a constant source of cold running water you can drain to waste plus they use like 5 amps, but ive heard from a few people that they are pretty much impossible to run in a closed system even with a huge res (swimming pool?) so you end up needing to buy a chiller anyways to keep the res cool. but they are the best in winter when you have really cold water cause your basically air conditioning your room for 5 amps or so and they can cool 8 lights .

D

dongle69

ps. dongle those 3fan heat exchangers are the bomb as far as their price goes and how many lights they can cool
They come in many different sizes, for numerous lighting configurations.
The 3 fan versions can usually handle 7-10 lights.
ive heard from a few people that they are pretty much impossible to run in a closed system even with a huge res (swimming pool?) so you end up needing to buy a chiller anyways to keep the res cool.
Depends on the temp in your area.
They are meant to run with a chiller/reservoir or with a fresh cold water source.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
i read a hydro innovations sponsored article in some grow mag recently and it struck me as odd that they reccomend you buy all their shit: heat exchangers, water chillers, etc. etc. and run it all as a recirculating system to water cool your room. personally, if i couldnt run drain to waste i wouldnt bother running water cooled anything because for the price of a water chiller and all those heat exchangers you could just buy 1 water cooled air conditioner or a nice split system or a nice kwikkool ducted unit.

ps. dongle those 3fan heat exchangers are the bomb as far as their price goes and how many lights they can cool provided you have a constant source of cold running water you can drain to waste plus they use like 5 amps, but ive heard from a few people that they are pretty much impossible to run in a closed system even with a huge res (swimming pool?) so you end up needing to buy a chiller anyways to keep the res cool. but they are the best in winter when you have really cold water cause your basically air conditioning your room for 5 amps or so and they can cool 8 lights .

cooling water is more efficiant then colling air.

using your watercooled a/c your going to use 2x the electricity as my water-cooled heat exchangers.

my power bill is already 200$/month cheaper, while still running 8800.... and my temps are in a better range.

that heat exchanger is for a fridge(walk in_ for maybe a mcdonalds, and will consume an amazing amount of power.

my system is electricaly efficant.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Very Cool Digitalhippie. I copied the info. Every time a see a build it yourself whatever it is, I am always inpressed. Now if only there was a build it yourself trimming machine like the Trimpro.lol
great job buddy and for under 2k

O

organizedcrime

thats an air conditioner, that doesnt belong in my thread!!!!
no a/c's allowed!!!!!!
not efficiant!!!!!!!!!!!

use less power, not more!!!

no its not. its a heat exchanger. exactly what you have on your lights, but bigger. they draw only the power to run the fans. a 3 fan is 5-6 amps and does 8-10 bare lights 1kw easy.

fireman

How big of a chiller would i have to run on 4000w. Do you think i could get away with a 1/2hp chiller hooked to 2 8in iceboxes?

It would be about double the price of buying an ac but on the other hand it would be half the wattage more or less. I am contemplating picking these up for the upcoming summer when i run CO2 on my 4000 since I have to close it up!!

Peace,
Fireman:joint:

thats an air conditioner, that doesnt belong in my thread!!!!
no a/c's allowed!!!!!!
not efficiant!!!!!!!!!!!

use less power, not more!!!

Its a radiator with fans in front of it AKA heat exchanger. I've ran one for a few years, run to waste and it works great.
IMO cooling the garden with a chiller cooled closed loop system is quite a bit more expensive of a start up cost than split AC. Too expensive for a cheap bastard like myself, lol.