What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/Perlite top drip run to waste House and Garden Van De Zwaan nutrients

pico

Veteran
Time for some fun. I have never done a top drip run to waste before.

4 x 600w lights
Super Sun 2 reflectors
2x 3x6 tables
56 tabby clones in 7" square pots
coco/perlite mix
house and garden coco A + B nutrients with all HG additives

For a step by step on how I make my dripper manifold, go here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62654

Just planted in pots yesterday and immediately go in to flowering. This is part of a larger flowering room so I can't veg at all in these pots.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another excellent grow show from pico!

whaddaya expect?

i didn't spot the anti-siphon on your line. is it closer to the pump itself?

Thanks for sharing, your grows show your caring.

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
Damn pico... another bed eh?.... right on. you've got some killer grows going, cant wait for them all to start forming :wave:

G

Looks like a great set i hope do the same but with 2 600w's and half the space but might have to wait a roudn or two first.
Not Familiar with tabby? anyway looks like a good show i will stick around.
Best of luck !

pico

Veteran
humble 1 - I actually don't have an anti siphon on there right now. I missed a few parts while in town shopping. I also came up with 1 less grommet than needed :) I am going to install that anti siphon on both though.

umphrey- well a little different then my bed grows. These are in pots and they are setup for automatic watering. The beds I just handwater with a hose every few days. The beds are looking good though.

neil- Thanks man. I like the 600w lights. The tabby is a nice plant. I heard it could be related to trainwreck or something. It flowers fast, smells great and from what I hear smokes well.

It doesn't show in the picture, but everything is aircooled. I just turned my CO2 burner back on and hopefully I can handle the heat. Humidity is more of a problem for me now so I will probably be getting the Santa Fe dehumidifier. These home depot dehumidifier units don't cut the mustard.

AbaZabba

heya pico, :wave:

looks like another good show to sit and smoke a bowl to :lurk:

the tabby looks like a perfect SOG plant, fast and vigorous is never a bad thing. Time to smoke a bowl and go watch the festivities, good luck on the grow, as if you need it.

pico

Veteran
Thanks AbaZabba- I need all the luck I can get. I swear I barely pull things off over here. :)

G

very nice looking setup pico, what size pots are you using? Are those the botanicaire ones? I have to switch from hand watering to a drip system, would sure make life alot easier. What kind of dripper are you using? I have been pricing parts out for a little syem but i'm not sure what gph I need on the emitters.

G

Pico nice info on the gromets. Do you think they may be able to handle a little pressure? For instance if you have a valve downstream of the gromet throtling flow?

As for this grow, i cant wait. I'm sure it will be top notch as always.

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
Not gonna miss this show! Still not done reading through your previous grows yet, now that I've found them!

You kick some serious ass, pico! Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

By the way, did you paint the inside of that 3x6 tray? Was it painted for the E/F project?

pico

Veteran
You know it is funny. Every time I buy those 3x6 trays they are a different color. Somtimes all black, somtimes all white, sometimes they are oreos.

I have another show starting tomorrow :) 4000w ebb flow with coco pots and coco/perlite. Lots and lots of coco recently.

Hey Pico, nice looking grow. I want to make one of these as soon as I get a chance, either that or a similar ebb & flow setup.

Just had a few questions that I'm a little unsure about. Sorry if these questions are stupid. You said you don't even put drippers on the end, you just stick the tubing right in the coco.

Is a drip system the same as ebb & flow, where the drippers come on for certain intervals so many times a day?

You doing drain to waste right, wheres it draining to?

What kind of problems is that one less grommet causing? Did you need to plug up the drilled hole?

Whats a anti siphon?

Perhaps someone else can chime in and clear a few of these things up, as I'm sure you have enough on your plate already (Geez, Perpetual Grow Shows)

Later,

-CT

pico

Veteran
Yes, the drippers come on for just enough to have a tiny bit of runoff. I will be watering every 3 hours during lights on and once during lights off or something.

Drain to waste, yes. Currently it is draining in to a 70 gallon reservoir under the tables. I want to track how much runoff I am getting for the first week so that is why the reservoir. After i get runoff tracked and my watering cycle down, the tables will be hooked up to a drain hose that drains it outside.

The manifold doesn't work properly without that grommet. Right now I have to hold my thumb over the hole while watering. I have more grommets coming tomorrow.

I just got my anti siphon connections yesterday. They make sure that when you turn off the pump that water doesn't continue to flow through the manifold and drippers. If the water level where you are pumping from is higher than the drippers then it will siphon.

I originally was setting up to do an ebb and flow with all these plants. But after setting all that up and testing it out I didn't like it. The holes in the square plastic pots didn't allow enough water to seep up in the coco. So I changed it over to a top drip. I am now setting up a coco ebb flow the right way, with coco pots.

Thanks for clearing those things up for me. So if you were to have your feeding rez lower than the table then there would be no need for anti siphon huh, alright good to know.
So why are you tracking the runoff? Is it to get an idea on how often and how much you need to feed?
I saw another thread of yours where you were running a ebb & flow in pots full of hydrotron I believe, did you have the same problems with the holes in the plastic pots not allowing enough water in?

Sweet grow man, I have been really enjoying your threads.

Later

-CT

pico

Veteran
Yeah I don't think you would need the anti siphon if the res was under your table.

I am tracking runoff because this is my first time doing run to waste and I just want to get an idea of how much I need to water to get some runoff but not too much. These house and garden nutrients are a lot more expensive then the GH nutes I use on a lot of other stuff.

With the hydroton there was no problem with the water getting in the pot. The coco mix is just too thick. It would still have worked OK, but I decided top drip would be better. Using a coco pot works better because water can get in from all around the pot instead of just holes around the bottom. Plus the coco pot doesn't allow the loose coco to fall out of the pot and clog up your pump.

cannigrow

HEy man I just read through a bunch of your threads, they are all so crazy. You do a real nice job and I like the curiosity factor, staying open to new things. I like the top drip tutorial so much I might have to try something similar in the future. I've got some coco laying around.

Do you think the top drip works out better than the beds? I've never seen a coco bed before. Definitely stayed up on BigPapa and PEtfish's shit at AN. They kill it in the beds.

Speaking of AN, I just got some conny. I've been playing around with some different nutes. Haven't used the floranova, but is sounds really good from your descriptions.

You're holding it down nice here. Tagged.

Cannigrow- So much luck with your grow, whatever you decide to go with. Although, I do suggest going with the ebb & flow and starting out small. Such advice has been given to me in the same situation and you need to value and appreciate it. Take it for what it is. ADVICE from experienced growers.

Trust me, they know what the hell they are taking about. They can offer more experience (experience is 10 if not 100 times more valuable than knowledge) plus knowledge on the subject than anyone.

Best of luck though Cannigrow, be very successful in whatever you hope to accomplish. Especially growing.

Later

-CT

Last edited:
Pico, I'm not going to lie. I'm a little intimidated by your gorw. :smile:

Props to the dog though. Raise the roof.

I'm just going to pre-apologize for my drunkenness now. I APOLOGIZE DAMNIT.

-CT

Last edited: