What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Withdrawal

Easy7

Veteran
Generally, I wouldn't expect much love from the world. Sometimes the inspiration that cannabis can bring, make's it seem the world should have love. It's in reality a cold, brainwashed, propagandized delusional world. Punished from someone Else's cold firm grip on the world.

guineapig

Veteran
Cannabis is completely different from all that other prescription pills because it is fat-soluble. It stores itself in fat cells, and then when you stop smoking, it is slowly released over the course of 2 to 4 weeks (sooner if the daily cannabis dose is very low, or if the metabolism is very high), and I don't know if this has been "proven" (double blind study?) or not, but I think it is this very slow rate of release by the fat cells which prevents any physical "withdrawal symptoms" but you might experience very vivid dreams as your body releases the molecules from the fat cells, and re-adjusts to the normal level of endo-cannabinoids which were always there anyway.

If the headaches came about after you stopped vaping, it could it be that there were impurities in the concentrate, you might want to switch to CO2-extracted products, and also make sure that the cannabis was extremely well-cared-for and not given an overdose of chemical nutrients and not flushed properly.

Vaping is relatively new, so the data has yet to be compiled, all that being said, I would just drink a lot of water, don't eat fast food, and don't drink alcohol as your body re-adjusts to its baseline levels of endo-cannabinoids.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

EvergreenState

I would be surprised if the op was not sincere. Everybody IS different and their metabolism is different. I've read many similar stories coming from people on sites that help people with withdrawal symtoms. There are many such stories and many people do have a difficult time when they stop using marijuana. This is not at all an unusual story.
I've never used nearly as much a day as you so I can't relate to that. I've always tried to be a moderate user .5 a gram to a gram a day with several days a week where I don't use at all so I don't build up a tolerance. I've had to stop using for a few weeks due to work requirements and I had some sleep and mood problems for a couple of weeks. I also miss it very much because I love it.
Best wishes to the OP and I hope you can get back to a point of moderate use and are able to enjoy it once again. Good luck.

different

I have been using cannabis on and off...I really can't believe this is cannabis withdrawal.

What you are experiencing is very real and actually pretty common.
Crazy how people will try to minimize your reality based on their anecdotal experiences.
Not sure why they have to jump to extremes and compare to opiates.
Pretty pointless.

Common withdrawal symptoms:
Problems Sleeping
Anxiety
Weakness
Sweating
Restlessness
Dysphoria, a feeling of general unease or dissatisfaction
Craving for resumed cannabis use
Nausea
Stomach pain

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5414724/

Sometimes can take a couple months to feel "normal" again.
Hang on, drink and eat well. Work up a sweat daily.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Crazy how people will try to minimize your reality based on their anecdotal experiences.
Pretty pointless.

Problems Sleeping
Anxiety
Weakness
Sweating
Restlessness
Nausea
Stomach pain

i have got to say i had a school friend that was exactly the same as OP described...he wouldn't need much...just a couple of days toking then when he stopped he copped it...if he kept smoking he was fine

M

moose eater

There's some pretty harsh words in here for someone sharing their personal experiences.

Glad you're out and doing OK, 'hawk.

I had a former friend in the Yukon Territory 40 years ago who couldn't smoke pot/hash, as when he did, he had what he described as anxiety, and "1,000 racing thoughts in the time it took (him) to take a single step walking down the side-walk." Sounded like living Hell to me.

He was sincere, though his experience reminded me of much heavier drug experiences I'd had, and nothing matching my lengthy cannabis and hash history. None the less, I respected his issues, and stopped offering him a puff.

The 1999 Golden Anniversary Merck Manual cited a (approximately) 10% addiction rate in cannabis users, per their research/review of studies, though, admittedly, long gone are the days of differentiating between physical addiction and psychological addiction; there's BIG money in drug treatment and 'recovery,' much of which (though not all) I regard as snake oil and placebo outcomes related to 'mind over matter' results. Psychologically out-sourcing our own power and ability for our successes.

I'll add that the Merck Manual, in its time, when we were faced repeatedly with Government and others' hype and bullshit in our legalization efforts, was one of the more kind and fair-minded sources among the mainstream publications for us.

That outa' the way, it's been my understanding that for some/many chronic users of psycho-active canna products, sleep disruption (often lasting about 2 weeks or so) and some amount of irritability, can be outcomes during abstaining after an extended time using.

I suffer routine dyssomnia, so I wouldn't know. I'm up several times each night no matter what. Probably for the last 40-50 years or more.

OP, I hope your discomforts wane in the coming time ahead.

Some people die from peanut butter, nuts, and milk, too. But those items haven't typically been politicized and used to destroy persons' families and lives the way the Drug War has used cannabis, so when someone types, "Peanut butter nearly killed me," they don't get jumped all over and accused of dishonesty.

A little diplomacy, understanding and patience might save our species and planet..... Or not.

Easy7

Veteran
I have gone years without smoking cannabis or any other form. I think it's easy to get used to an easier life of being stoned. Having more fun, feeling more comfortable.

I understand the rage with the trend out there of sober nazis. There are people that think sobriety is for everyone and all that. Yet they tend to think loading up at he pharmacy is ok and somehow mainstream drugs are 'different'.

Fact is a ton of things are 'addictive'. We get addicted to people, things, way of life. We are attachment creatures.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Only thing I have ever possibly experienced from quitting cannabis many times for jobs is not getting sleep. I've done it many times after heavy smoking for years on end daily. Weird post. Sounds like 'symptoms' no big deal though.

JohnnyJingle

I have been using cannabis on and off most of my adult life but have had decade long breaks. I got back into it around August last year and it started with weekly vapes and got to the stage where I was smoking 2-3 times daily up until last week.

That's the most I have ever had in my life. Months of 3-4 days daily vaping. I've had very mild irritability and cravings when I stopped for the one or two days that I was for work reasons.

I decided to stop because I was finding that I was having to vape ever larger amounts to get the effects I was after. Last week I had whole buds on 3 occasions in one day.

Anyway today is day 4 of withdrawal and my symptoms were at a peak this morning. They start mainly yesterday with headache of a tension type that migrated round the head and was mainly above and around the eyes. I have had 2 nights of insomnia and last night barely slept 3 hours.

I woke with the ongoing headache in temples and forehead and a feeling of numbness and tingling in feet to the point I was fearing I had some other sort of disease but I am medically very well.

The headache feels like a hangover and doesn't respond to caffeine or tylenol really. I'm not sensitive to light.

I really can't believe this is cannabis withdrawal. I'm loathe at this point to have a bowl because I really want to clear it out of my system but I know that would definitely help work out whether it's withdrawal.

I'm drinking water and consuming calories and feel things are clearing now but the last 2 days have been terrible. Slight nauseous feelings at food and complete lack on any enjoyment of life and ordinary things.

I'm probably going to take this through another 2-3 days and from there on go back to microdosing like I was when I started in August last year. I'm surprised at the physical withdrawal I appear to be having. I thought maybe it's a viral pre-syndrome but it's pretty static and aside from the headache and mood being down there's not much more.

i can confirm what you are going through. had the same stuff only worse and went on for a long time. i couldn't sleep for about two weeks. had about 15 hours of sleep in those two weeks and it took many months till i could sleep more than 1,5 hours at a time.
it was hell. anxiety attacks, weight loss, pain etc.
strangely i never had the problem before, smoked for years and quit without problems, then one day...bammmm !!!

stopped for a few years after that and now smoke again, don't have any problems anymore can stop and nothing much happens besides irritability and a few days of depressed mood.

i can only give you the advise that you should not stop at once but taper off slowly if possible like with medication like anti depressants. slowly decrease amount

JohnnyJingle

and what also is important is to change the drugs you are using to minimize the risk of getting addicted to one substance.
if you have to increase the amount of a substance to get the same effect it is time to stop that substance for a while.
drugs can be fun if you know how to use them

M

moose eater

It's fairly common for our metabolisms to be changing over the course of our lives.

Persons may have allergies as infants, then none for years, then auto-immune disorders act up again later on, for any number of reasons, known and unknown.

i can confirm what you are going through. had the same stuff only worse and went on for a long time. i couldn't sleep for about two weeks. had about 15 hours of sleep in those two weeks and it took many months till i could sleep more than 1,5 hours at a time.
it was hell. anxiety attacks, weight loss, pain etc.
strangely i never had the problem before, smoked for years and quit without problems, then one day...bammmm !!!

stopped for a few years after that and now smoke again, don't have any problems anymore can stop and nothing much happens besides irritability and a few days of depressed mood.

i can only give you the advise that you should not stop at once but taper off slowly if possible like with medication like anti depressants. slowly decrease amount

GoatCheese

Veteran
I have been using cannabis on and off most of my adult life but have had decade long breaks. I got back into it around August last year and it started with weekly vapes and got to the stage where I was smoking 2-3 times daily up until last week.

That's the most I have ever had in my life. Months of 3-4 days daily vaping. I've had very mild irritability and cravings when I stopped for the one or two days that I was for work reasons.

I decided to stop because I was finding that I was having to vape ever larger amounts to get the effects I was after. Last week I had whole buds on 3 occasions in one day.

Anyway today is day 4 of withdrawal and my symptoms were at a peak this morning. They start mainly yesterday with headache of a tension type that migrated round the head and was mainly above and around the eyes. I have had 2 nights of insomnia and last night barely slept 3 hours.

I woke with the ongoing headache in temples and forehead and a feeling of numbness and tingling in feet to the point I was fearing I had some other sort of disease but I am medically very well.

The headache feels like a hangover and doesn't respond to caffeine or tylenol really. I'm not sensitive to light.

I really can't believe this is cannabis withdrawal. I'm loathe at this point to have a bowl because I really want to clear it out of my system but I know that would definitely help work out whether it's withdrawal.

I'm drinking water and consuming calories and feel things are clearing now but the last 2 days have been terrible. Slight nauseous feelings at food and complete lack on any enjoyment of life and ordinary things.

I'm probably going to take this through another 2-3 days and from there on go back to microdosing like I was when I started in August last year. I'm surprised at the physical withdrawal I appear to be having. I thought maybe it's a viral pre-syndrome but it's pretty static and aside from the headache and mood being down there's not much more.
First..
The nausea you were feeling, i think, comes from the insomnia. I have suffered from bad sleeping disorder for over a decade, and i get hang-over like nausea from even one or two bad nights. Longest time i have had bad nausea from lousy sleep is 4 months! So i doubt the nausea is caused by cannabis, but the insomnia.

People are different, cause usually when i have jars full of weed, on days off i start smoking before i get my morning coffee and i stop when i pass out in the evening ..prolly around 5 grams per day habit.
..but if i have to stop smoking weed, i can "drop it like a bad habbit". No problem
Sure, i might feel like i want to smoke those days when i have to take a little break, but i don't get head aches, nausea, sweats or anything like that. And i have so shitty outlook on life that i don't feel any change on that either. LOL
-
-
How to go around rising cannabis tolerance is to have many/few different strains around, because a large part of tolerance build-up is strain specific. Sure your over all tolerance rises when you smoke daily, but you can go around this quite abit by smoking different strains.

Some strains have faster tolerance build-up than others. For me Satori and especially Apollo 11 have been the fastest tolerance builders. CBD Critical Cure one of the slowest.
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
Oh..
Sleep deprivation also cause muscle tension and aches in the head and joints/muscles (mainly) because of this.
Sleep deprivation will eventually mess with your metabolism so much that you get exhausted super easily, break sweat really easy, you can even get strange rashes etc. Very nice indeed.

Sure cannabis or lack of using can cause insomnia, but this can largely be a psychological thing = You feel abit strange going to sleep clear headed and if this goes on for few days, then you might stress about sleeping so much that you have difficulties of falling asleep because of this.

For some people cannabis can cause withdrawal symptoms, i dunno, but some of these things can be actually caused "indirectly" and not directly caused by cannabis = it's your own psyche that plays tricks on you, not the chemistry of cannabis, if you know what i'm trying to say.

A big part of treatment for sleeping disorders, at least where live, focuses on mental exercises and "mindfulness ", which is so popular nowadays. Sure, for some people a large part of sleeping disorder is mental, but it can also be genetic study papers say. Fairly many people in my family suffer from this, some more than others.

Like i said, i have been suffering from poor sleep for over a decade, and i suffer from these things (nausea, muscle tension, head aches etc.) regardless if i'm using cannabis or not. Some cannabis strains just help me sleep abit better, but it hasn't been a proper CURE.

EasyGoing

I have heard of a few people having withdrawals from cannabis.......... Rare, but does happen.

I say get an edible, and eat a super small amount daily until you get ahead of your withdraws. Good luck.

justcallmenugs

I agree with everything you said trout,but smoking 3 times a day isn't shit.he's either very malnourished or a hypochondriac.I used to smoke a quarter a day and never seen anyone "withdraw" from weed.my 60 year old diabetic uncle smokes about 10 joints a day literally and he was a respirtory thearapist.

I still smoke this much a day. I quit smoking for about 3 months without the feeling of withdrawal. It all really depends on how you use it.

If it's used as an escape rather than a remedy for your health you
build up a mental addiction, you think you need it when you really don't. A lot of people know Marijuana isn't addictive, it's the way people use it that makes it addictive. Hence the withdrawals may be
psychosomatic. (In your head)

:comfort:

Pretty pointless.

Problems Sleeping
Anxiety
Weakness
Sweating
Restlessness
Nausea
Stomach pain

Good read. It affects quite a lot of people.