What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic coco

Let's get a new organic coco thread going!
Who else is running organic coco and what kinda results are you getting? I'm running organic top dress in 90% coco and 10% EWC alternating plain water and compost tea. Using up the rest of my growilla veg and bloom buckets then I'll start mixing up my own concoctions :biggrin:

Michael49

Planning my next grow in Coco.

Everyone seems to recommend coco specific neuts, most of which are not organic. I'd like to keep it organic if possible.

Can I use my Roots Organic Buddha Bloom/Grow as neuts for coco?

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Planning my next grow in Coco.

Everyone seems to recommend coco specific neuts, most of which are not organic. I'd like to keep it organic if possible.

Can I use my Roots Organic Buddha Bloom/Grow as neuts for coco?

could try 1 in coco with those nutes .worth a try ,,bio bizz say theyre nutes are ok for coco ,,bcuzz and canna do organic coco too :)

Coco right out of the Bag is missing Calcium and proper Microbes to convert Organic Fertilizer.

Ammend with Gypsum and quality Earthwormcastings, wet it with some Organic Fertilizer, let it sit for a Week at least, after that it should be usuable.

If you use Lime, like it is used it Peatbased Soil you will end with too high of a PH. The Quality of the EWC or Compost you add is quite important also.

You can USUALLY (not always though) use just about any nutes with coco as long as you supplement the extra cal mag. IMO your best bet for doing organics in coco would be like ADHD said and amend with some EWC and a few dry amendments after my growilla runs out im going to use a mix of: neem/karanja cake, crab meal, kelp meal, insect frass, bio char, and some alfalfa meal along with mycos

The best results I ever got with organic coco is when I cheated and used a bunch of random organicish samplers. It was a crazy nice harvest. Recently i watched A vid by the grow boss 😁 ....and I'm trying out his advice to put cal mag and p charge coco on the base and top dressing with super soil as needed. I hope I don't run into any ph issues. Worth a try right?

ive done about 10 indoor runs in coco all with bcuzz nutes. but like somone said above coc can be amended with organic dry meals and most importantly for it to work like organic soil, one must add microbial life forms and fungals, that will break down the organi solids into nutes that the roots can absorb.

i think that the easy way to do organic coco is to follow a normal organic soil recipie, but instead of peat use coco, like:

coco , perlit, compost, alafalfa, microbes, composted manures, etc etc etc,

the important part would be to mix up all the ingredients add microbes and let sit for some weeks atleast, then use as needed

i have never done this but the logic of how organic soil works, indicates that coco would mae an excellent organic soil since its much better then peat, doesnt get water logged. i a currently running a gew in just coco and even after watering coco always holds air even when fully saturated, thats what i like most about coco.

The thing i did not like about mixing coco.there's a few. Fungus gnats. Shrinkage which lets too much water pass through before it expands . Recycling issues. I like this Grow Boss recamendment because I can collect the topsoil separate of the coir. The coir can get weird after a few runs. I hear that worms will eventually process the coir but reluctantly.

ive done about 10 indoor runs in coco all with bcuzz nutes. but like somone said above coc can be amended with organic dry meals and most importantly for it to work like organic soil, one must add microbial life forms and fungals, that will break down the organi solids into nutes that the roots can absorb.

i think that the easy way to do organic coco is to follow a normal organic soil recipie, but instead of peat use coco, like:

coco , perlit, compost, alafalfa, microbes, composted manures, etc etc etc,

the important part would be to mix up all the ingredients add microbes and let sit for some weeks atleast, then use as needed

i have never done this but the logic of how organic soil works, indicates that coco would mae an excellent organic soil since its much better then peat, doesnt get water logged. i a currently running a gew in just coco and even after watering coco always holds air even when fully saturated, thats what i like most about coco.

This is what I'm doing now in a 3'x3' smart pot bed. It started out as a way to use coco with more organic and renewable and altogether cheaper nutrients that turned into a no-til bed and it's doing so well with such little input. Definitely what I would suggest for people with bad backs (like me) because it is a lot less mixing nutrients and ph'ing and just a lot less work in general and the plants love it.

me too i have abunch of swamp tubes sitting ready in the swamp and they are made up of coco with organic dry nutes mixed in. i hope they work as well as yours are, since i have never done it before. best of luck to you. cheers

i used generic organic fertilizer granules made up of fully composted manures of chicken horse cow rabbit with kelp and a bunch of other minor ingredients. the npk is rather low so i put like one kg per 10 gallons of coco.

When bulk mushroom growers need an awesome medium for large tub grows, they usually use half/half Coco and vermiculite, pasteurized, then innoculated and left to sit for a few weeks. When you come back, the trays are fully colonized with fungus, they love Coco.

I did the same thing more or less with a fabric pot once, pasteurized it then used a myco product to innoculated, left it alone for a few weeks, then planted. With just some ewc and tea, I harvested nearly a pound of hot chilies under a single COB LED in a 2x2' tent. If you get the herd right and let it innoculated thoroughly, it's a hell of a living medium.

I also had a huge flush of Leucocoprinus Birnbaumii show up in an outdoor planting of ghost peppers that were in 100% pure Coco, the stuff just wants to form mycorrhizae for you!