What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

Was over in the general grow section and mentioned autoflower and i got flamed to shit lol

Are autoflowers really that shitty of yield and potency lol...:dance013:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some folks like photos for their cloning capabilities. And they are soooo wrong about lack of potency with autoflowering strains. That was the case years ago, but major strides have been made in upping the ante on flavor, potency and yield.

After growing photoperiods for decades....it's really nice to plant, sit back, watch her grow and not sweat bullets in Aug-Oct awaiting to ripen. Meanwhile, 2-3 harvests can be had while the others are growing giants. That's great, but I love the low key nature of autos....they don't stand out, they ripen on their own time schedule, not dependent on the sun or light. Yes, you have to buy seeds, but have read of awesome crosses folks have made from our afterthought autos and other autoflowering strains.

And by low stress training, you can get a decent yield....and most times 2 toke oblivion.

To each their own!!

Last edited:

vostok

Veteran
aridbud ^^^ above is correct, many like me have tried autos and found them un acceptable and some never kept up, I have tried to keep up, and do believe their is a use for autos, I grow them between my main crop, and in time can see them taking over just for the added convenience, but do need to be 'worked' on first, perhaps in 2-3 years where the potency and blaze is equal to that of photos

pinkus

Veteran
They have a place. I've grown a few, I wasn't impressed but if you are great!

For me I won't grow them, at least not for a main crop. The inability to clone is primary, but since ruderalis would never add to the potency I think it's inclusion is only going to make things worse from a potency perspective.

They have a place, but not at my place. :bandit:

agito

Monkey see Monkey repeat , will they beat elite genetics probs not but they blow 95% local weed away around here.

Laza Haze

Illyrian blood
Veteran
I think autoflowers are like all the other plants.They have positive and negative sides.Where is legal I don't think somebody would try to do them.In legality we can work for more crop as possible.But in illegality,size&time are more important then crop.So we grow Af,and there are a lot of good choices I think...consider them like fast food.Probably not so healthy,but necessary sometimes.
Great big up for AF..

Peace

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day GBOGH

People who tell you Autos are not potent haven`t kept pace with the times .
The new generations can compete with a lotta strains for potency . Obviously you are not gonna get a clear Haze high . But for Af / Sk types that are so popular these days yes they can compare .

If you live in a place with a high number latitude they are essential . Photo period plants can`t stand the cold and rain of Autumn . Autos are done and dusted a cpl of months before the season changes . Better a bag of good auto,than a bag of mold ...

Not every one lives in the USA ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Jhhnn

Veteran
Autos are interesting. I'm growing some now, for seed. They're tough & easy if you start out as a decent gardener in the fist place. Light control isn't much of an issue- I grew 2 nice batches just leaving the light on the whole time. They'd be excellent in a stealthy back yard or balcony grow because they finish fast & don't want to get very big before they do. They're good for people who have a short or unpredictable season. As a first grow, they deliver stash in a flash.

Some of them are quite good, rivaling photo seed varieties if not select clones. There's been a lot of effort by top breeders to improve them, and it shows.

offthehook

Veteran
People love to hate, makes em feel alive.

Auto's at day 36 directly sown from seed, and who are meant to make seeds.
picture.php

The same auto plot as above, but after most plants already had been harvested.
picture.php

picture.php

Auto's that still need to finish up for 2 more weeks to go.

These fuckers performed pretty nice though, at latitude 65 Finland.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have been doing AF's for a couple of years, and have no photo's to compare to, quality wise. Most crap here was 2 year old bricked, SA, seeded garbage.

Came here to learn BHO, and now am leaning photo's because of potency claims. Bought the strongest I could find, seed wise.

I am broke, but would like to see more quantifiable evidence. Cannalyse, from cannayticssupply, provides 20-25 in home chromatography, immediate tests, accurate within 2% up or down, for $125.00.

Would love to have people post those results.

Have no connection to, and have never contacted them. Seems to have good reviews.

It would be interesting to know the advertised THC, against results from growers.

The old nature/nurture question.

If a moderator wanted, could start a sub forum, for chromatography tests.

Best wishes, to all!!

Loc Dog

Veteran
The most potent advertised AF's are Think Different and AutoMazar (my favorite). Both are super-auto's and are done in 90 days, instead of 60.

It is very easy to make AF seeds, so once you have strain, no need to buy more. Any questions just ask (I learned the perfect method at AF site. Must be freshly made CS, to get full reversal of female to male, and beautiful viable seeds).

Biggest downside of AF's is while learning. Any mistakes, can not be reversed, where photo's, just leave growing longer while they recover. My first 3 runs were crap.

Another reason they have bad name, may be for that reason. My first grow was an abortion. Did not know of PPM and PH meters. With AF's, every mistake will effect outcome.

This is AM, 30 days since seedling moved to flood/drain or coir. Close row of small plants was coco.

Never realized learning all about bud, could be a PHD.

Can't we all, just get along - Rodney King.

Attachments

• DSC00498.jpg
    DSC00498.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Loc Dog

Veteran
I think autoflowers are like all the other plants.They have positive and negative sides.Where is legal I don't think somebody would try to do them.In legality we can work for more crop as possible.But in illegality,size&time are more important then crop.So we grow Af,and there are a lot of good choices I think...consider them like fast food.Probably not so healthy,but necessary sometimes.
Great big up for AF..

Peace

Exactly, in CA or Oregon there are quota's on plants. Grow one massive photo outdoors, will do more than 10 AF's. Outdoors, they would not get the 20 hours a day they want, and indoors, it is additional light cost.

The best environment, in my opinion, for AF's, is greenhouse, with supplemental lighting, at night.

An AF, will never be as strong as a photo, of same genetics, grown under same conditions. Highest rated AF is 18%, and highest rated photo is 25%, due to Ruderalis.

Again, I would like to see more testing, since it is so cheap. 4-5 test's can be done on same card, at a time.

Best wishes to all!!!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ pinkus but since ruderalis would never add to the potency I think it's inclusion is only going to make things worse from a potency perspective.

Guess you haven't tried any recently.....I beg to differ. Well...not beg....just differ. There is POTENCY in AF's.

agito

there has been auto THC tests done heres qwixter that been out for a fair few years
THC Level : 20.1%, with 1.1 CBD, and 1.1 CBN Tested By Micannalytics.com
BETTY BOO 16% *
EASY RYDER 19% *
MAXI 10% *
CHRONIC RYDER 12% * (tested by 3rd part labs)

So as you can see its possibe to get very potent bud I'd love to see strains tested from the last 3 years tested would be nice

Last edited:

harry74

Veteran
I grew last year 3 autos just to have a first hand experience and I wasn´t satisfied really:

1) A lot of leaf even inside the bud;poor calix/leaf ratio.

2) Even if there was a fuity smell/taste, the hemp taste/smell is there
3) Very short effect 15/20 minutes,and rolling again.

I´m sure there are better autos but I feel like they need to be worked down more; the only trait you want from Ruderalis is the autoflowering trait.

:tiphat:

pinkus

Veteran
@ pinkus but since ruderalis would never add to the potency I think it's inclusion is only going to make things worse from a potency perspective.

Guess you haven't tried any recently.....I beg to differ. Well...not beg....just differ. There is POTENCY in AF's.

It doesn't matter if I've tried Ruderalis or not.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. Ruderalis, before it was crossed into photo lines, didn't have any potency to add to the mix. There are now ruderalis crosses that have potency, but it was introduced to the ruderalis not the other way around.