What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hi all, new to these forums but I used to post at OG under a different handle. I have some pics of the room, just need some tips on where to post them so it's safe. On to the room!

Outbuilding in a rural area, in Sonoma county. Legal medi-grow with three patients (county law permits 30 plants/100 sq. feet of canopy per patient. Room size is 21X32 feet, and 10-12 foot ceilings. First I insulated the walls with R19 fiberglass batts, then stapled up panda plastic and sealed any light leaks with spray foam. I drilled a 1" hole in a hidden corner of the building (it's a rental and this is the full extent of the damage I've done!) to run a garden hose in. I had to do a lot of trenching in the middle of the night as the closest spigot was about 75' away, but it's completely hidden and only my wife and I know its there.

I have rental inspections every 6 months, so I wanted a system that I could break down and set up quickly and easily. I've been growing for years in an Ebb & Grow, but decided that was too much plumbing and didn't scale well enough for my purposes. Decided to keep to a hard 99 plant count limit, better safe than reallllly sorry right?

I settled on 8 4X4 plastic Botanicare trays, and built tables to hold two trays each. So I have two aisles of four trays, two tables per set. Pots are 2 gallon smartpots, filled with Coco chips and thats it! No mixing, no additives. ONe 115 gallon reservoir feeds four tables, two total. 4 trays (two per side) are ran off one timer each, soafter one set floods and drains back, the other set of four trays is activated by the second programmable timer. Both reservoirs are tied to a TalllBoy filter (on a hose timer) and float valves on each, so they top off from 2-4 PM daily (when it's not flooding) so they don't overflow. Completely automated reservoir top offs!
A digital full-time Hanna mater reads PPM, PH and res temps, so I can poke my head in and see both res stats at a glance. I use PuraVida nutes, with mycorrhizae, Hygrozyme, Inoculaid, epsom salts and Sensi CalMag.

Light/Power:
One 1000W light over each 4X4 tray, alternating MH and HPS so they are all staggered, running on 240V with Quantum ballasts on a CAP MLC-8t timer/relay. Mounted the ballasts high on the walls so the lamp cords reach the far ballasts with ease, and no cords to trip over. All new Eye Hortilux bulbs (Super HPS and Daylight Blue MH.) I measured the Quantum ballasts light ouptput versus some older SunSystems II 240V ballasts, and the Quantums are exactly 10% brighter at the same distance from the bulb. Not bad!

Ventilation:
Two Vortex 12" fans on exhaust, each sucking through a CAN150 suspended by a rope hoist from the ceiling. 8 oscillating fans make sure there's plenty of air movement. Picked up a Phason fan controller (tips hat to Dongle69) and a 30' temp probe, so far it's done a fantastic job and it modulates the speed of both fans. These fans are each mounted to one board over a window, and a window unit A/C mounted under each fan (one window has a 12K BTU, the other is a 9K, so far neither runs much.) Another CAN50 filter is used as a scrubber with a 6" Vortex and has a big 8" CD ozone generator on it, to keep any hints of smell down. Dual dehumidifiers (60 pint) keep RH down. BOth drain into my old Ebb&Grow control bucket, so any discharge is pumped right outside through a small hose.

Room stays between 70 and 75 all day and night, I have air cooled hoods and ducts but haven't needed to hook them up. The fans keep the temps perfect by themselves with no AC, even with all 8 lights on (takes about 6 minutes to cool it down and the fans kick back off.)

So no smell, no light leaks, no visible water leaks (drains into a field) and my last run (with 7K lights and in soil) got me 9.5# dried.

I use homemade drying racks made of 1"X1/2" wood in 36" square frames, and added 4" legs so I can stack them. Covered them with plastic 1/2" landscape netting and they hold about a half elbow each, and stack so they take up very little floor space.

Right now I'm running Ice, Chem Dawg D, Sage n Sour, God Bud, and about 9 other strains (some are only 1 or 2 clones.

I use no veg room so I can get two harvests between each inspection, and I buy clones from a local buddy. I veg under my flowering lights for 3-10 days and then it's on to 12/12 flower. I'm on the PG&E time of use meter and E-6 rate program, and since I'm low-income I also get their CARE discount, so my entire power bill (gas included) has never gone over $500. No Co2, my room doesn't seal well enough to keep it in, and I don't want the hassle of changing tanks all the time.

Just flipped my 99 babies to flower yesterday, so this will be my first hydro/coco/organic setup, but I have HIGH hopes!

Questions? Like I said I have pics, just someone tell me the safe way to do so if possible. Hope this helped someone, I am the LAZYman! :joint:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
A late construction pic

A late construction pic

Sorry was taken with a 2MP cameraphone, better images coming soon...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
THanks Greyskull, it's up and running now, will try to get a light shot tonight. So far the 99 are only taking up about 4 trays (with room to spare) so I am hoping they fill out more and I can spread them out to the other 4 trays as they bush out. Trying for a SOG style grow, though it will be tricky with 12 strains. I think I'll end up just sorting them all by height, so all the tallest ones are under 1 light, etc...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ahh I did have one fairly recent shot, this is from last weekend so they're all about 8-12 inches tall now (some had two weeks of veg, some 1 week, some 3 days.) Oops, I didn't insulate this wall yet, I have the batts but I ran out of time before I had to start lights up. Will do them on the next breakdown, but the sun doesn't hit this wall anyway.

The first set of 50 took the brunt of the dial in, overwatered at first and mag deficiency, the've since perked up and are much happier with one daily soaking and a bunch of epsom salts. The next couple small batches of clones have been happy since day one, and I've never seen fluffy roots like I have in these damp chips! I plan to re-use them for the next cycle if possible.

Just plumbed in a 3/4" drain and shutoff valve into both reservoirs last night, much easier than pumping em out. Got lucky and even had the right sized hole saw (I bought my E&F trays used, had holes in them already.) Yay Craigslist!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
This should be fun!

Hey Dongle, I read your big thread all the way thru on your 6K grow, congrats! I had mine running for about 3 days when I found your thread, great stuff! I grew up in Eureka, still visit regularly too. Nice place to be from. My mom lives up there still.

More pics coming soon...

wow

im using chips as well 50/50 coir/chips.....works well

lazyboy what is your method of irrigation...im not firmiliar with "smartpots"

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Smartpots are kinda like grow bags, but made out of a thick, felt-like landscaping cloth. Sturdier for sure, they breathe well and hold moisture well. A little more expensive than the cheap plastic ones, but so far I like them much better.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Shot of hose manifold to hose timer (runs 2 hrs a day when lights are off) to TallBoy filter, to splitter to twin reservoirs and float valves

One window with 12K BTU AC and 12" Vortex to CAN150 filter which connects to the AIR-4 and Phason controller...

Shot from across the room... Drying racks, made of 1X.5 sticks and 1/2 inch plastic netting, stapled together with a small air nailer, 24 racks for about $200, hold about a half # each.

Jock Horror and Ice clones at 1 week veg, in coco chips

Chem Dawg D
Sage and Sour, Blue Dream, MOD Juliet, about 8 other random strains...
picture.php
ICE at 1 week veg...

donny darko

Looking very good. Coco is the shit, I am so glad I switched and I just started flowering with it but stuff is growing so much more rapidly with it.
peace darko

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The Phason was $259 I think from Farmtek.com, VTC-1D. THe 30' remote temp sensor was another $30 and pretty handy! Flexible unit, once it's dialled in (and if your fans are strong enough!) it's like a having an A/C thermostat controlling temps. That last piece automated my grow enough so all it needs is time, not me!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep, I just dialed the waterings back, the chips still hold enough water that I only need to water 3 times a week, for 6 minutes to soak them thoroughly. Nutes are at 1550 PPM in both tanks at 5.9 ph, and they're all asking for more food! Taking it up to 1700 tonight, and wait a few days to see if they darken up more.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
looks like quite a setup lazy. b careful with that landlord man. good luck and i'll b checking back.

Yep, one of my criteria is I have to be able to break it down myself, and hide it and show no evidence of growing in 24 hours, and I can do it.

If you stay ready, you never have to get ready!

All the 4X4 trays stack and fit in the reservoir, and they fit in the bed of my truck, with both CAN150 filters and some other big gear, everything else goes into boxes or stashed cleverly in the ceiling rafters, but nothing has to leave the room, and I just put my loaded truck inside (with a tarp over the bed) and tell them I'm going camping this weekend and just finished loading it for Friday!

There's more to it of course, but it does go from grow to garage in actually about 12 hours, not too bad.:joint: