What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanda Devi - Outdoor

xet

I started an outdoor grow journal for this year and a late freeze and few other elements (birds) destroyed my last of the crop so this is a late, but not too late, grow.

No pics on this first post but the ball is rolling.

I direct sowed 10 beans of Nanda Devi last night.

This time my patch is covered on all sides until large enough to remove the top that is preventing birds from snacking on the sprouts.

Also I had to slightly shade the top as the sun is hot enough this year it burns to a crisp the flowers on my garden vine.

1 bean was super huge and 3 were tiny while the rest were medium to smaller size ranging in color from light brown to golden yellow on the larger bean.

Luckily I have no winter freeze until January even February some times.

The main purpose of this grow is for F2 seed-stock plus some herb to cob up.

I went back and forth whether I wanted to plant Dark Devil Auto or Kerala and ultimately waiting an extra month for more bud ruled out the Auto and the potentially endless wait-time ruled out Kerala until next year. Nanda Devi fits right in with a September/October harvest time but with my hot weather (110'F / 44'C in June) I anticipate maybe a November harvest.

For the whole patch I dug one very large hole, maybe ~500L / ~125 gallons and mixed layered 1 layer Fox Farm, 1 layer diatomaceous earth, 1 layer native soil, and repeated this half a dozen times. The top layer is ~1 bag of Fox farm and over the layer of Fox farm is 400L of heavily rotted woodchip compost/mulch that will continue to produce good compost tea with watering as well as trapping moisture. It has Amendments like beet root, garlic, Chlorella algae, Kelp powder, coffee grounds, egg shells, red kale, dinosaur kale, other kale, carrot, cayenne, milk, onion, blueberry, cranberry, strawberry, spinach, orange, chia, sweet potato, chicken blood, cacao powder, green tea, flax, broccoli, hemp protein, pea protein, apple, cherry, agave, goji powder, quinoa, shiitake, neem, tomato, grapes, guava fruit, mango fruit, b12, b complex, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, nutmeg, sulfites, oregano, savory, basil, parsely, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage, nutmeg, cloves, pink salt (600+minerals), red pepper, banana peels, various rock dust, a couple gallons of cabernet, a couple gallons of blush wine, cilantro, plus quite a bit of piss from digging and preparing the hole and adding this final amendment and probably other things. But all in all I would say this is well-aged compost.

The hole then had 2 months to rest after prep and when I went to visit yesterday there were so many bugs I kneeled for a moment and had every type of critter running up my leg. Everything was moving very fast. The bush nearby had several hundred butterflies on it. The compost is so fungally active that when I press on the mulched top layer it has a very elastic effect to it. Everything under the soil is very aerated and moist as the mulch traps the moisture and the bugs aerate everything. The worms are active.

I will update in a few days with some sprout pics and catalog as things progress.

edit: 0 for 13 on my Nanda Devi seedpack. Old seeds is my guess. Other strains pulling thru so keep reading.

Last edited:

xet

8 days since direct sow and no pops yet.

Reading other threads of Nanda Devi I see 2 week pop times. Will continue watering every few days. When I shone my light onto the soil isopods were running every direction. Bio activity is looking great.

Sounds cool man. I’m wanting to throw a few of my extra clones outside this year but it’s getting late and I’m dragging ass. Good luck with everything I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure

xet

10 Nanda Devi seeds, 14 days since sowing, 0 pops. Give it 2 more weeks then starting on another thread with autos

xet

Day 15 (was day 13 last entry) since sowing and no pops. Keeping soil wet. Maybe they will pop in the next week. Maybe not.

I have 3 seeds remaining from my 13 seeds.

The 3 remaining seeds are now soaking indoors.

Maybe there is hope for a successful seed run.

xet

Nothing to report on for the Nanda Devi. I planted many more seeds of different strains.

UP comes a Parvati Jungli, feminized, under the moon light. **edited as I wrongly stated Red Diesel

Outdoor temps ranging from 35-45'C day time. 25-38'C night time.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rd1.jpg
    rd1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

xet

Parvati Jungli growing very fast and excellent vigor.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rd1-lat.jpg
    rd1-lat.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

xet

Zamaldelica #3 (and maybe 4 to the left)

I thought I miscounted when sowing the seeds as I only had 5 but it turns out I may have had 6 seeds and double-sowed so this cell may have 2 plants.

attachment.php

xet

What a difference a few hours make.

I was real worried the intense sun would harm the seedlings but they love it.

The Parvati Jungli is no longer fluorescent. Did the full moon do that? The leaves looked like a fluorescent gel. **edited, I had previously mistake this plant for Red Diesel

attachment.php

Zamaldelica #1 is opening up beautifully.

attachment.php

And wow the Kumaoni #1 is huge compared to the others as was the bean which was easily 3-5 the size of other beans.

attachment.php

Attachments

• zamal1.jpg
    zamal1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • kumaoni1.jpg
    kumaoni1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 27
  • reddiesel.jpg
    reddiesel.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

xet

Welcome Kumaoni #2
attachment.php

and a nice fresh batch of biochar

attachment.php

Attachments

• kumaoni2.jpg
    kumaoni2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
  • biochar.jpg
    biochar.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 31

xet

Kumaoni #1 VS Kumaoni #2

Narrow-leaf for the win!

attachment.php

Attachments

• kumaoni1vs2.jpg
    kumaoni1vs2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 24

xet

I made a mistake. The Red Diesel #1 is not a Red Diesel. The original Red Diesel I posted about is a Parvati Jungli and is performing exceptionally.

The Red Diesel #2, which is the only Red Diesel now, is struggling under the sun with intense bleaching but a new set of leaves is emerging and the plant may adapt and prevail as I must note it is stretching and growing rapidly which I believe is due to stretching above and below the surface of the soil to prepare for the heat.

xet

Wow just look at that narrow-leaf Kumaoni.

attachment.php

A zoom of the Parvati Jungli
attachment.php

The Red Diesel is alive but very sad
attachment.php

And 3 Zamaldelicas
attachment.php

Attachments

• reddieselsad.jpg
    reddieselsad.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 29
  • kumaoni1vs2b.jpg
    kumaoni1vs2b.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 28
  • parvatijunglizoom.jpg
    parvatijunglizoom.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31

xet

I previously posted a pop for a Nanda Devi. Still 0 for 13.

Last edited:

xet

The very impish Red Diesel is bouncing back.
attachment.php

Parvati Jungli
attachment.php

Kumaoni 1
attachment.php

Kumaoni 2
attachment.php

Attachments

• kumaoni1.jpg
    kumaoni1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 30
  • kumaoni2.jpg
    kumaoni2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 30
  • pavartijungli.jpg
    pavartijungli.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 24
  • redd.jpg
    redd.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 27

xet

Another Zamaldelica pops up in this container from at least 3" under the soil!

attachment.php

Attachments

• July 21, bird nest
    July 21, bird nest
    106.1 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Latest posts