What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What can I grow that will make my thai loving dad happy?

'Boogieman'

I have grown zamaldelica, C99, bangi haze, durban poison, a local bubblegum sativa, satori and quite a few others looking for something my dad will like but according to him none are like a good thai from the 70's. Sometimes I think many low potency strains still got many higher back in the day because of tolerance. The zamaldelica he does like however its not "that one he is looking for" according to him. Im willing to try anything really to make him happy and need suggestions from the old school smokers thanks in advance for your help.

G

growhigh1233

seedsman momma thai ............ i have 2 going atm got 4 males grrr ...........there nice and cheap bound to get an elelctric pheno from a few packs

baduy

Hi those come to mind
Old timer's haze green pheno 'supposed to be the Thaï pheno)

Manipuri or kerala from RSC
Seedsman original haze

Have a look at "the search for trip weed" thread, will give you a lot of other options

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I have grown zamaldelica, C99, bangi haze, durban poison, a local bubblegum sativa, satori and quite a few others looking for something my dad will like but according to him none are like a good thai from the 70's. Sometimes I think many low potency strains still got many higher back in the day because of tolerance. The zamaldelica he does like however its not "that one he is looking for" according to him. Im willing to try anything really to make him happy and need suggestions from the old school smokers thanks in advance for your help.

How dedicated are you???? lol.... can always grow real Thai or similar south East Asian type but be prepared and patient gonna take a good part of a year of your garden and you will have to run your lights 11/13 n gradually step down to 9/15 to hopefully get her to finish.... the genetics are out there ... you may get lucky n find it in a hybrid I just had 3 purple Thai phenos of maduro finish outside haven't got to smoke them yet to but for a pure Thai like in the 70s gotta grow them 20weekers!!!!

Lrus007

Veteran
i also am on that search.
tried no lie over 100 different peoples seeds
and seeds from thailand. sadly did not find one
with that flavor let alone the high. some do take
a year to grow. i had a good thai plant but was stolen
long ago. only hope is some old timer has it.
aside from that it is extinct. i pretty much gave up the chase.
good luck on your search.
Lrus007

HeriMarry

Searching for a thai also, I have not grown them yet but I do have high hopes for these beans.

Chocolate Thai F3 (Drawoh's Chocolate Thai 2.5 x Drawoh's Chocolate Thai 2.5

Created from genetics gifted by Drawoh himself, Hazeman's Chocolate Thai is Darwoh's Chocolate Thai 2.5 crossed to a male Chocolate Thai 2.5. Chocolate Thai F3 is easy to grow, but will get tall so give her some head room.
Drawoh selected a male and females for a bulking of the Original Chocolate Thai line. These were grown out from his stock Chocolate Thai 2.5.
Flowering Time: 10 - 14 Weeks.

Available through Hazeman Seeds. If you email him he will send you a list.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
For me cookies are the closest to the Thai sticks I smoked in the 70s. High euphoria, heavy body high, exotic flavor.
Millions of choices in seed form but choose mine they are even on sale now.:biggrin:

PDX Dopesmoker

I got Thai weed one time, it was in 1988 and it the stuff came wrapped in foil. It was really sticky stuff and somewhat dark brown as well. Super potent and super tasty, I impressed the hell out of my circle when I came up with that herb. I mentioned it being brown particularly because if you're feeding your dad some green weed with sparkly white trichomes, that might be why he thinks the effect is off. He might be looking more for the effects of something thats been aged a little bit more.
\If older weed doesn't work, maybe try feeding him some mushrooms.

Happy Times

How dedicated are you???? lol.... can always grow real Thai or similar south East Asian type but be prepared and patient gonna take a good part of a year of your garden and you will have to run your lights 11/13 n gradually step down to 9/15 to hopefully get her to finish.... the genetics are out there ... you may get lucky n find it in a hybrid I just had 3 purple Thai phenos of maduro finish outside haven't got to smoke them yet to but for a pure Thai like in the 70s gotta grow them 20weekers!!!!

20 weeks- now that’s dedication!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yes curing is the key with longer flowering lines.. or you can cob it :D it makes stronger product I only heard :D

rolandomota

Veteran
High tolerance sucks. Probably nothing will ever satisfy him unless he stopped smoking a few months

'Boogieman'

For me cookies are the closest to the Thai sticks I smoked in the 70s. High euphoria, heavy body high, exotic flavor.
Millions of choices in seed form but choose mine they are even on sale now.:biggrin:

That is not even close to what my dad described as thai. He talks about a intense long lasting head rush, paranoid and tripped out hearing people call his name from a distance, visual colors and a happy euphoria hours later that beats anything he recently tried and lasts much longer. A tobacco menthol taste is the best he can describe.

Not sure about this one but he says he liked thai over thai stick?

Thanks for the replies everyone, much research to do.

therevverend

Veteran
I'll ask a couple people I do remember a friend talking about a strain he said reminded him, at least taste-wise, of the old Thai strains.

I doubt you'll be able to get the same taste and effect from growing the genuine re-creations that are around. There's never been a shortage of seeds from Thai stick. The problem is that when they're grown indoors under lights or away from their tropical Thai environment they fall flat.

There must have been something very special in those fields, the care and love the farmers had for the plants. As evidenced by them taking the trouble to tie up those little wispy buds into bundles. Whatever fertilizer they used, how they dried and cured their crop, and most of all the intense SE Asian sun.

Thai strains finish in late December around the winter solstice when the days are shortest in the northern hemisphere. For the sun to be high enough in the sky and the day to be long enough to give enough light intensity to properly finish Thai plants you have to be within 10 or 15 degrees of the equator. Hawaii for instance is at 20 degrees N which is close and I believe Hawaiian strains come closest to matching Thai varieties. But even so it's still not the same.

Having said all this I think there's still hope. There are Thai genetics in quite a few modern varieties. I'd look for a strain that fits the effects you're looking for. A lot of the sativas you've tried are good strains but they aren't strong enough.

Bangi Haze for instance is Himalayan it's not going to knock him on his ass like a Thai stick. The old Kali Mist, pre 2005 might be worth a try. A strong California hybrid with lots of terpenes, SFV OG for instance, might do it. Don't shy away from Indicas maybe not pure Indica but I think a potent hybrid will be as close as it gets.

If all else fails feed him some mushrooms then give him a couple good tokes of some frosty stuff..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Have you looked at world of seeds Wild Thailand? It may not be the exact stuff but worth a look.

If he's looking for a rushy, paranoid inducing effect look to c99 harvested early or some early Malawai.

Chunkypigs is right, if you can get his Valley Breath, that herb was dubbed the scary fuckin shit around here. Most potent rushy scary effect I've come across since Vietnam Black.

EmpyreanSeeds

Best Thai hybrid

Best Thai hybrid

If you asked me, and perhaps someone else already mentioned this one, but “Destroyer” from Cannabiogen is the best pure sativa I’ve ever grown and smoked before. There are some amazing Thai phenotypes in them as well. Some are super stringy wild,like some pure Thais, and some are great hybrids with the other sativas in there but with a great Thai effect. Hope that helps.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chocolate Thai x Vitality produced some lovely Choc Thai types that a few old school smokers absolutely loved! They said it reminded them of some old school Thai from back in the day. As far as I know seeds for this cross are no longer available.

I'll second the Destroyer nomination even though I haven't grown it yet.
Maybe look at a few other CBG varieties... Maybe Panama would do the trick.
It can't hurt to check out The Landrace Team either. They seem OK.
Ask the breeders lots of questions while trying to decide on what you want to acquire.

Latest posts

Latest posts