What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin or BHO??

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Trying to decide which way to go. It is easy to grow too much, and want a concentrate that stores well.

I know the right way to do BHO. What is best way to press Rosin?

Does the spent BHO pressing taste good?

Thanks for any advice.

MrBungle

You want to press the material you already blasted?

I think that herb that has been blasted is no longer able to be used safely....

I'm pretty sure there is residue left behind from the solvent.

Not to mention how efficient Butane is at stripping all the good stuff... I doubt you would see much of a return after pressing it..

I would get a hydraulic press to start out they are a lil bit less expensive that pneumatic and don't require an Air Compressor to run ( which is loud).... The best and most expensive are probably the electronic

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The best way is with a rosin press.

What are you after? Personal or production? The one is a matter of taste, the other marketability. Easier to move solvent extracts anywhere, while there are still many places that haven't even heard of rosin.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Never heard of a rosin press blowing up.

Fuck that BHO shit. Fucking butane footprint pounding on the BBB. Solventless is the only way to go. I would never smoke BHO.

I'm going to go have a cigarette. ;)

Mengsk

^ these guys are right. BHO is kind of gross in the sense that those cans of butane may have residue in them, and is it natural gas that comes from fracking? No thanks. Meanwhile BHO is still much more concentrated than flowers so maybe less irritating on the lungs (hard to count the impurities). Butane or propane has to be the cheapest by far to mass produce. Dry sift or I guess bubble hash (pressed into rosin) is the way to go but I don't see this being economically competitive with propane gram for gram. Hopefully customers continue to recognize that.

Mengsk

The extract in the cartridges is filtered a lot maybe 10 micron or lower.

Attachments

• qwet.JPG
    qwet.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 19

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Either seems to work and both can be aromatic and tasty. The rosin often has an added fresh roasted flavor

I'm currently dabbing Rosin because of all the new local regulations on unlicensed LPG extraction and price of concentrates at the dispensaries seems usury.

Rosin from kif is more irritating to my bronchial tubes than subzero BHO, or EtOH.

I winterized my last batch of Rosin to remove the plant waxes and toasted flavor, and ended up with a smooth and effective dab.

All the above solvents are GRAS, so I have no health concerns with any of them as long as they are well made.

Loc Dog

Veteran
You want to press the material you already blasted?

I think that herb that has been blasted is no longer able to be used safely....

I'm pretty sure there is residue left behind from the solvent.

Not to mention how efficient Butane is at stripping all the good stuff... I doubt you would see much of a return after pressing it..

I would get a hydraulic press to start out they are a lil bit less expensive that pneumatic and don't require an Air Compressor to run ( which is loud).... The best and most expensive are probably the electronic

If I went BHO, would do closed loop. Already have a passive setup.

Not really worried about noise of compressor, which I already have unless a truly massive one is required.

Was wondering if the remnants from pressing had enough taste and potency left to be worth vaping.

Loc Dog

Veteran
The best way is with a rosin press.

What are you after? Personal or production? The one is a matter of taste, the other marketability. Easier to move solvent extracts anywhere, while there are still many places that haven't even heard of rosin.

So the rosin is tastier?? I know it sure looks good. A little of each for personal/production. Wondering if there is much waste with pressing.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Is one better than the other for older material (6 months to a year)?

G

Gr33nSanta

Rosin is so tastier, to me BHO always tastes the same. Rosin is way smoother. Rosin is way lower yielding. Think of it as a grower's treat. Rosin can sell for a lot more than bho.

3 types of rosin,

flower rosin, taste like the flowers, more plants wax (it seems, from experience)
water hash rosin, I have more experience here, you can seperate the size of the trichomes so you can make for an extremely great end product.
dry sift rosinIn my experience, gives more of a shattery texture, Id agree that it is harsher, but that is for sure because I have never made it with 99% heads, always with dirty dry sift.

Depending on the cultivar, each of those 3 can be superior, all trial and errors. I did have a spacebomb plant that would yield epic flower rosin.

Finally, from my experience so far, bubble hash rosin can be more potent than flower rosin due to the fact that you can isolate the size of trichomes which likely translate to levels of maturity, where as flower rosin can be more flavorful. Water hash rosin is smoother too in my opinion.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Rosin is so tastier, to me BHO always tastes the same. Rosin is way smoother. Rosin is way lower yielding. Think of it as a grower's treat. Rosin can sell for a lot more than bho.

3 types of rosin,

flower rosin, taste like the flowers, more plants wax (it seems, from experience)
water hash rosin, I have more experience here, you can seperate the size of the trichomes so you can make for an extremely great end product.
dry sift rosinIn my experience, gives more of a shattery texture, Id agree that it is harsher, but that is for sure because I have never made it with 99% heads, always with dirty dry sift.

Depending on the cultivar, each of those 3 can be superior, all trial and errors. I did have a spacebomb plant that would yield epic flower rosin.

Finally, from my experience so far, bubble hash rosin can be more potent than flower rosin due to the fact that you can isolate the size of trichomes which likely translate to levels of maturity, where as flower rosin can be more flavorful. Water hash rosin is smoother too in my opinion.

Would the plant remains from flower rosin be tasty, and have some potency?? I have very high resistance from only vaping GG4 or concentrates from it for years now. I like to take a break once in awhile, for a week or 2 vaping something much weaker. Any suggestions on a press? I think one I am looking at does 13,000 lbs PSI.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Rosin remains smashed chips pucks can be used to make coconut oil for edibles or topicals to get everything last bit out without waste... bho spent product gets trashed not good for anything ... I prefer to smoke rosin but make much more bho cause of production ability . Like anything both sides have its advantages n disadvantages ... bho is safe if you know what ya doin but doin it right to get gold gets complicated n shit still does happen had a few falves fail in my day so u gotta be much more serious about it and it requires other equipment, ovens , pumps gas, dry ice , coolers, heaters, uses a lot of power but volume production can't be beat , rosin is safe to make , ready to smoke right out the press, cleaner to smoke , n stores long term better,

Loc Dog

Veteran
What is the best point in curing to make rosin or BHO? I usually cure down to 62% humidity.

Does rosin need perfectly trimmed bud?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The best rosin setup for the best price is going to be from DabPress. Starting at $199 and FREE shipping plus a free gift.

If you decide to go with DabPress, let me know and maybe I can get you a discount code.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the best point in curing to make rosin or BHO? I usually cure down to 62% humidity.

Does rosin need perfectly trimmed bud?

Depends on what you want to end up with. An associate pressed mine for me from Canna Gooey and includes both Rosin from cured kif, which is simply gooey, and Rosin pressed from kif from fresh cut buds, that is ugly and soupy. Both pretty tasty, but the ugly soup has more.

The soup continues to bubble, though it has no odor of mold or fermentation. I suspect water vapor escaping, but ladled it into small jars and froze all but what is out for use, because with that much water a mold infection is an almost guarantee.

As I noted, I winterized about 2/3rds of the cured kif Rosin, to remove waxes and roasted flavor, but have thus far left the soup unaltered. Flavorful, but I don't like it as well because of how hard it is on my 75 year old Bronchial tubes and lungs.

As a note, the fresh cut buds were immediately frozen and later tumbled with dry ice to gather the kif for pressing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts