What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

breeding with multiple males without open pollination

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Just like the title says! Breeding with multiple males without open pollination.... that's more of a question to the community like has anyone been able to accomplish using multiple males in the same area keeping them concealed from dispersing pollen wildly.

I was hypothetically thinking maybe if you used a transparent plastic container that is not pourus with it closed at the bottom like sealed or a transparent bag over to conceal the pollen from unnecessary contact with females.. I've been looking online and can't find anything like maybe no one has attempted it. Not saying I will do this it just came as a thought that could maybe ease someone from having too many plants or whatever so whomever may chop there males after making the next filial generation or outcross in cross etc... and move on to the next project...

If any links exist with any threads that have already accomplished this please guide me thank you guys!

Are you talking about multiple males from the same strain or multiple males from multiple strains...if you mean the former I'm pretty sure most people collect pollen and then brush it on the selected females...its not viable for very long and is usually stored in the freezer.
You would either store the pollen mixed together or seperate it, which is mostly a matter of preference.
I would say the same would be done for the latter as well...take the females out and apply pollen as you wish.
I don't think most people keep their males in a tent with females, or if they did it would be in a seperate isolated tent. Then you'd place your females back in the flowering tent.

As for links, checking in the breeders laboratory section you'll find everything you would need I think.

Hope this helps

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Cross contamination is inevitable in that sense... U can cut the branches before they burst for collection later but in the same room as females is very risky... If using multiple males and don't want mixed pollen the pollen need to be collected separately and very carefully managed during collection storage n application.. Even being careful it's likely some may travel...
Now you can flower multiple males together but be ready to cut the pods right before they burst n put them on individual screens separated.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sure ...

Collect pollen from male. Delicately brush on selected branch of selected female. Put sandwich bag over branch and seal with rubber band. Let sit overnight. To remove bag, have water sprayer ready, loosen rubber band and carefully spray inside bag. Remove bag, seal, discard. Branch pollinated.

I have had many bags of different pollen on same mother.

G

Gr33nSanta

I dont even bag em, I roll the qtip in the pollen , give it a few tap taps to shake excess pollen and I go and pollinate the branch, sometimes I turn off the fans lol. I agree if you want to pollinate one female with more than 1 male you have to be more careful and use bags and water and stuff but that would be too much work for me. Pick a male, use it, kill it, or keep it if you can afford it. On a small scale if you use one male over several females it can take years to go through the seeds anyway so no point getting ahead of yourself with too many males unless you want to make seeds for years and years.

djonkoman

Veteran
I also use bags. ordered a bunch of pollination bags from ebay once. I leave the bags on for a week or so, then remove, to reduce risk for mold(I grow outdoor, so the rain makes the bags wet), and hang the bag under the branch as a lable. (it's a kind of paper, so I write on it what pollen I used and at what date I pollinated)

to collect pollen I cut off a male bud and put it in a shotglass over a piece of glossy paper(flyers work great) at a mostly windfree spot.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I also use bags. ordered a bunch of pollination bags from ebay once. I leave the bags on for a week or so, then remove, to reduce risk for mold(I grow outdoor, so the rain makes the bags wet), and hang the bag under the branch as a lable.

to collect pollen I cut off a male bud and put it in a shotglass over a piece of glossy paper(flyers work great) at a mostly windfree spot.

Thats exactly what I was wanting to know. So you wait for them to start flowering then take a snippet and let it disperse it's pollen to collect and use later?

djonkoman

Veteran
Thats exactly what I was wanting to know. So you wait for them to start flowering then take a snippet and let it disperse it's pollen to collect and use later?

yes, pretty much. you have to wait till the balls are about ready to burst though.

you can put it kind of sideways in the shotglass(with water), so all the balls lean over the side above the glossy paper. then gently tap it once a day or so to make the pollen fall down, and when you have a bunch remove the piece of paper and scrape the pollen together. I like to then mix it 50/50 with flour(increases volume, but also makes it dust/blow around less if you accidentally breath on it or there's a draft or so).

also works with collecting some buds/branches on guerilla-spot, take them home and put into a shotglass.

I then store it in the fridge, don't know exactly how long it lasts but I've successfully used pollen that was around 2 months old I guess. pollen from 2-3 years ago was sterile though.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
yes, pretty much. you have to wait till the balls are about ready to burst though.

you can put it kind of sideways in the shotglass, so all the balls lean over the side above the glossy paper. then gently tap it once a day or so to make the pollen fall down, and when you have a bunch remove the piece of paper and scrape the pollen together. I like to then mix it 50/50 with flour(increases volume, but also makes it dust/blow around less if you accidentally breath on it or there's a draft or so).

also works with collecting some buds/branches on guerilla-spot, take them home and put into a shotglass.

Thank you! Mind if I ask what indicators to look for when the balls are about to bust? This will be my first time using pollen to breed with, btw I appreciate your tips very much!

Dog Star

Veteran
You can spray your plant directly after polinating,so just apply polen and minute
after that spray water over hole polinated bud.. dont need to wait overnight
with baggie over branch...

djonkoman

Veteran
I don't really have any indicators to share, best would be to just grow a male and let it go to see how the flowers look just before they open.
or choose the moment where a few balls are already open and a bunch more big ones soon to follow, but that depends how big a problem pollen possibly blowing around is. if there is no wind/draft it's not to much of a problem though(but in my case the females are mostly outside, so inside I can be a bit more freely with pollen)

Fuel

That's crazy how it appear complicated lol

I backup my lines with different couples of the same line since ages, and i don't crush my head for it. My rules :

Rule 1 : No more that one male with flowers
Rule 2 : , with a light negative pressure and twos domestic CFL (enough to trigger a male). Just to play with diameters and theyr flow , then connect the outake just before the main RVK or one of them that directly push air outside.

Rule 3 : Patience and good timing for (real) hybrids.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you see male flowers begin to open you have a couple hours to a couple days before it will start droping pollen.

Being you haven't worked with males yet, you may consider only working with a limited amount until you can figure out YOUR routine. Every room is as different as every grower.

I, like djonkoman, typically grow outside so I have the freedom to keep multiple males in the grow room until ready for use. If indoors, you may consider setting up another (HEPA filtered) tent just for the boys.

More coming..

Leaf Eater

I also use bags. ordered a bunch of pollination bags from ebay once. I leave the bags on for a week or so, then remove, to reduce risk for mold(I grow outdoor, so the rain makes the bags wet), and hang the bag under the branch as a lable. (it's a kind of paper, so I write on it what pollen I used and at what date I pollinated)

Pollination bags are the way to go, if you use plastic and the plant transpires your run the risk of killing the pollen. Someone on here puts the males in a clear tote like container. i thought that was kind of neet

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More... NOT coming...
I've had to log back on 3 fucking times just to post this!
Im really getting sick of this shit!

Try using the search function!

oldbootz

Veteran
Sure ...

Collect pollen from male. Delicately brush on selected branch of selected female. Put sandwich bag over branch and seal with rubber band. Let sit overnight. To remove bag, have water sprayer ready, loosen rubber band and carefully spray inside bag. Remove bag, seal, discard. Branch pollinated.

I have had many bags of different pollen on same mother.

^^ yep this, but better to use paper bags

shaggyballs

Veteran
You can spray your plant directly after polinating,so just apply polen and minute
after that spray water over hole polinated bud.. dont need to wait overnight
with baggie over branch...

@Dog Star are you saying once applied pollination happens instataniously or in a matter of hours?
I thought rain/water too soon after polination would kill the pollen.

I placed a plastic bag over a branch and when I came back it had condensation on the inside, so i thought i ruined the pollen.

If this is the case than spraying the whole plant after pollenation is a fantastic way to prevent unwanted pollen from spreading to undesired branches.

Anyone know the actual time for conception?
Ha, this would be kind of like birth control for plants.
:tiphat:Thanks for the info there Dog Star this may turn out to be a real gem!

Shag

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've read recently that pollen makes a pollen tube within minutes. Fertilization takes a bit longer.
The DNA slice is safe within this time.

I don't recall the source info.

Dog Star

Veteran
@Dog Star are you saying once applied pollination happens instataniously or in a matter of hours?
I thought rain/water too soon after polination would kill the pollen.

I placed a plastic bag over a branch and when I came back it had condensation on the inside, so i thought i ruined the pollen.

If this is the case than spraying the whole plant after pollenation is a fantastic way to prevent unwanted pollen from spreading to undesired branches.

Anyone know the actual time for conception?
Ha, this would be kind of like birth control for plants.
:tiphat:Thanks for the info there Dog Star this may turn out to be a real gem!

Shag

Yes,polination is finished in seconds... also our plant have resin and this resin is here to catch polen,so no matter you spray her directly after polination a polen stays sticked on stigmas,on trychomes,etc...

Fresh polen can live 36 hours inside water... and its a logical that polen is no so sensitive like folks thinks,otherway one good rain
will made male plants outdoor sterilized... real fact is that polen grain is pretty alive material.. you can see it by fact that if you dryed him good and freeze he can last for years,6-7 years no probs,even longer is possible..

thats why i gived those tip to spray directly after polination as then you will "calm down" polen that can fly and polinate plants
that you dont wish to polinate at all..

I made this way and have sucessfull polinations and i get a lot of seeds this way,its no different than polination whithouth spraying
if we talk numbers of seeds you gettin,no bad side effects,just positive ones to prevent further polination and spreading
a polen on plants you dont wish to make pregnant..

Kind regards Shaggy