What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Start Privoxy?

G

I have Tor/privoxy downloaded and running. Have the "P" in the green circle and the onion with the checkmark showing in the icon tray.
I am using netscape for my browser while surfing (MSN DSL is my primary provider) and is set up for port 8118 and has
forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 . showing in the privoxy configuration line.
My usual process for secure surfing is to first log on to the net through my isp. Then I fire up the proxy system, and then start up netscape browser which is configured for privacy thanks to Who The Kid from CW.

I have arranged for Tor to start when pc starts up.

When I downloaded Tor/privoxy a icon was made on my desktop screen. When I clicked it, it installed Tor/Privoxy onto my pc and both icons showed up in my icon tray activated because I clicked the "run this file now" box at the end of the installment.

But after turning off my pc and then rebooting it, only the Tor onion icon showed back up and active in my icon tray and the only way I can get the Privoxy to start up again and the icon to show in my icon tray is to click on the install icon on my desktop and go through the 30 second install routine again and leave the "run file now" box checked and then I am up and running again.

SOOOOOOOO, my question is how can I get the Privoxy part of things to start up right away at pc start up or at least get a icon on the desktop that just starts the privoxy instead of always having to re-install it even with it already being on the pc?

Last edited:
It was far easier for me to just get Mozilla FireFox, set it up for proxy all the time, and use Firefox for secure surfing. Anything else I use my default browser, which shows my IP. Seems to work a bit better, and Privoxy/Tor start up right away when I click on Firefox. Hope that helps...

G

Slickster said:
That Tor/Privoxy onion thing is government owned. And the Firefox is a sell out. I use Anobrowse, a non-local "government" offshore program available free on download com. There are more free ones, just do not get anything with onion "smelly". :fsu:

Do you have any proof of information to support this logic? The lurks is interested to know why slickster says this.

G

I too am very interested in this info, there are alot of people here using it. I stopped using it a while back.

Mo, :chin:

From what I understand, it WAS funded by DARPA, but is no longer. I seriously don't think that it is a "government-owned" program. But, I could be wrong. :)

G

Well what I read at the website and elswhere is that it was founded at MIT and maintained now by the reptutaion of the nodes connected. That would be the users running it and maintaining server status. If I understand correctly Weasel on their irc channel wrote some of the code. These people are college students and graduate students that started the concept and put it in action. Unless I can read text somewhere otherwise saying that it is a potential threat. What i read is that the more users, the better.

http://freehaven.net/doc/econp2p03/econp2p03.pdf

G

Very interesting article Gamera ... charges my brains paranoia cells, any links to MIT would have me nervous. Just a big recruiting ground for the goverment if you ask me.

Mo,

HappyHemphog

Tor/Privoxy are recomended by privacy and human rights groups to dissadents trying to communicate with the outside world from within much more oppresive governments than the United Corporations of America.

While no single item will guarantee you 100% anonymity and security, it's always in your best interest to use many tools to cover as much of your tracks as possible. Tor/Privoxy are just another set of tools we can use to help us stay safe.

I, for one, try to leave as few dots behind for LEO to play connect the dots with.

Cheers!
Hempy

Gamera

If your SUPER paranoid and have plenty of time you can use Tor/Privoxy and also go through anonymizer.com.

G

::shakes fist at Tor Onion::.

::shakes fist at Tor Onion::.

negative8.jpg

Last edited:

Loveish

how to start privoxy - Full Guide Is Here

how to start privoxy - Full Guide Is Here

Before launching Privoxy for the first time, you will want to configure your browser(s) to use Privoxy as a HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) proxy. The default is 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) for the proxy address, and port 8118 (earlier versions used port 8000). This is the one configuration step that must be done!

Please note that Privoxy can only proxy HTTP and HTTPS traffic. It will not work with FTP or other protocols.

Figure 2. Proxy Configuration Showing Mozilla/Netscape HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) Settings

With Firefox, this is typically set under:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network ->Connection -> Settings
Or optionally on some platforms:

Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Connection Settings -> Manual Proxy Configuration
With Netscape (and Mozilla), this can be set under:

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies -> HTTP Proxy
For Internet Explorer v.5-7:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings

Then, check "Use Proxy" and fill in the appropriate info (Address: 127.0.0.1, Port: 8118). Include HTTPS (SSL), if you want HTTPS proxy support too (sometimes labeled "Secure"). Make sure any checkboxes like "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" is UNCHECKED. You want only HTTP and HTTPS (SSL)!

Figure 3. Proxy Configuration Showing Internet Explorer HTTP and HTTPS (Secure) Settings

After doing this, flush your browser's disk and memory caches to force a re-reading of all pages and to get rid of any ads that may be cached. Remove any cookies, if you want Privoxy to manage that. You are now ready to start enjoying the benefits of using Privoxy!

Privoxy itself is typically started by specifying the main configuration file to be used on the command line. If no configuration file is specified on the command line, Privoxy will look for a file named config in the current directory. Except on Win32 where it will try config.txt.

5.1. Debian
We use a script. Note that Debian typically starts Privoxy upon booting per default. It will use the file /etc/privoxy/config as its main configuration file.

# /etc/init.d/privoxy start
5.2. FreeBSD and ElectroBSD
To start Privoxy upon booting, add "privoxy_enable='YES'" to /etc/rc.conf. Privoxy will use /usr/local/etc/privoxy/config as its main configuration file.

If you installed Privoxy into a jail, the paths above are relative to the jail root.

To start Privoxy manually, run:

# service privoxy onestart
5.3. Windows
Click on the Privoxy Icon to start Privoxy. If no configuration file is specified on the command line, Privoxy will look for a file named config.txt. Note that Windows will automatically start Privoxy when the system starts if you chose that option when installing.

Privoxy can run with full Windows service functionality. On Windows only, the Privoxy program has two new command line arguments to install and uninstall Privoxy as a service. See the Windows Installation instructions for details.

5.4. Generic instructions for Unix derivates (Solaris, NetBSD, HP-UX etc.)
Example Unix startup command:

# /usr/sbin/privoxy --user privoxy /etc/privoxy/config
Note that if you installed Privoxy through a package manager, the package will probably contain a platform-specific script or configuration file to start Privoxy upon boot.

5.5. OS/2
During installation, Privoxy is configured to start automatically when the system restarts. You can start it manually by double-clicking on the Privoxy icon in the Privoxy folder.

5.6. Mac OS X
The privoxy service will automatically start after a successful installation (and thereafter every time your computer starts up) however you will need to configure your web browser(s) to use it. To do so, configure them to use a proxy for HTTP and HTTPS at the address 127.0.0.1:8118.

To prevent the privoxy service from automatically starting when your computer starts up, remove or rename the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.ijbswa.privoxy.plist (on OS X 10.5 and higher) or the folder named /Library/StartupItems/Privoxy (on OS X 10.4 'Tiger').

To manually start or stop the privoxy service, use the scripts startPrivoxy.sh and stopPrivoxy.sh supplied in /Applications/Privoxy. They must be run from an administrator account, using sudo.

5.7. Command Line Options
Privoxy may be invoked with the following command-line options:

--config-test

Exit after loading the configuration files before binding to the listen address. The exit code signals whether or not the configuration files have been successfully loaded.

If the exit code is 1, at least one of the configuration files is invalid, if it is 0, all the configuration files have been successfully loaded (but may still contain errors that can currently only be detected at run time).

This option doesn't affect the log setting, combination with --no-daemon is recommended if a configured log file shouldn't be used.

--version

Print version info and exit. Unix only.

--help

Print short usage info and exit. Unix only.

--no-daemon

Don't become a daemon, i.e. don't fork and become process group leader, and don't detach from controlling tty. Unix only.

--pidfile FILE

On startup, write the process ID to FILE. Delete the FILE on exit. Failure to create or delete the FILE is non-fatal. If no FILE option is given, no PID file will be used. Unix only.

--user USER[.GROUP]

After (optionally) writing the PID file, assume the user ID of USER, and if included the GID of GROUP. Exit if the privileges are not sufficient to do so. Unix only.

--chroot

Before changing to the user ID given in the --user option, chroot to that user's home directory, i.e. make the kernel pretend to the Privoxy process that the directory tree starts there. If set up carefully, this can limit the impact of possible vulnerabilities in Privoxy to the files contained in that hierarchy. Unix only.

--pre-chroot-nslookup hostname

Specifies a hostname (for example www.privoxy.org) to look up before doing a chroot. On some systems, initializing the resolver library involves reading config files from /etc and/or loading additional shared libraries from /lib. On these systems, doing a hostname lookup before the chroot reduces the number of files that must be copied into the chroot tree.

For fastest startup speed, a good value is a hostname that is not in /etc/hosts but that your local name server (listed in /etc/resolv.conf) can resolve without recursion (that is, without having to ask any other name servers). The hostname need not exist, but if it doesn't, an error message (which can be ignored) will be output.

configfile

If no configfile is included on the command line, Privoxy will look for a file named "config" in the current directory (except on Win32 where it will look for "config.txt" instead). Specify full path to avoid confusion. If no config file is found, Privoxy will fail to start.

Source : https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/startup.html

Blog :- https://www.loveish.tk/