What's new

virus resitance transfer

Just a simple question.

I can go buy a "Tomato plant" at Lowes that come with the following information on it's description.

Breed for Tmv, cmv, ect,ect, "Resistance"..of all or most of the known virus's plants get. You have to look carefully but sometimes the tomato plant variety from specific growers will come with this label.

Would cutting a piece of this resistant plant off and putting the sap from the resistant plant onto a cut in a cannabis plant have any chance of transferring the virus protective qualities ...? I already did it figuring could not hurt as the plant in question has a mild virus already and don't care what happens to it. Guess we will see.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It won't work but I am glad to see you are trying. They also sell virus free tomato seeds, which must be different than virus resistant. Once a plant is infected there is no cure for it as far as I know.

One day they will sell virus free cannabis seeds, if you don't use infected plants to breed with the seeds will not be infected.

purple_man

Veteran
high bro!

it's not gonna work like that, basically there is a couple of apporaches when it comes to virus resistance breeding, one i can remember is coat protein manipulation, where antisense genes for the coating protein are inserted into the plant, when the virus infects the plant the rna coding for the cap protein is sent to the cytoplasma, where through antisense gene in the plant a complimentere antisense rna is produced, they bind and the protein rna can't be translated into the neccessery proteins needed for the cap -> virus dies. or in tobacco plant tissue is infected with a "weak"/disfunctional tmv strain, after that the clones of the infected tissue can't get infected by other tmv strains since they recognise during the docking process that the plant is infected already...

blessss
ps.: and sure there is a cure for viral infections, meristem tissue culture, once established endures a couple of weeks of thermotherapy while invitro, tissue is excised and screened for infection (elisa or other tests), if the screening shows no sign of the virus, that culture is used for multiplying and propageting plants for virus free clones

Plant Virus

Plant Virus

Ya, did not think so. Problem is what I believe your get infected cuts then bugs (vectors) take the virus to your outside plants around your yard and basically you got it forever until you move. I have some varieties that barely show any signs of a virus and others that get messed up pretty good. Sucks. Bought some "RNA pro" probably a dumb move but will keep trying any thing. Heat treatments. No bugs at all now or ever saw any with 100X scope over the years used Judo six weeks ago as precaution, now ready to take cuts for flower room. 35 year grower, never had these problems years ago (Those where the daze) Thanks for responses:thank you:.

purple_man

Veteran
you are welcome bro! exactly, or it's sometimes enough to rub on the stem of a infected plant (to evaluate the smell), and then you instinctivly rub the next, if you applied enough pressure on both stems, wounding has occured and you succesfully transfered it on your own :/

to be honest with you, it's just my opinion based on the few lectures i attended dealing with that subject is, back in the days folks did not have those problems, i guess because many viruses were "isolated" in certain areas of the world where other possible hosts were not around, once all types of cultivars started being grown all around the world and traded, alot of different isolated viruses were brought to areas containing many more hosts, and since main vectors are insects, they got to spread to different cultivars, mutated, spread again, etc...

blessss