What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GA to enhance seed germination

howdy everyone,

wondering if anyone has used dissolved GA or GA in a tissue culture media to treat seeds prior to or during germination. i'm asking because i have some dutchgrown seeds from 09 (i should have realized that there was a reason they were heavily discounted... not that i'm complaining). i usually get >95% germ rates on mature and relatively fresh seeds, but i have heard people have had issues with germ rates on the 09 DG beans. anyone with experience using GA for germinating older seeds? cheers.

plasto

Granger2

Veteran
I'm germing some seeds today from '08, and some from'07. I'm gonna be using spit. Yes. Saliva.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Cuttings-Starting-Plants_vq1120.htm

Also, there's a thread that talks about putting old seeds in your mouth to carefully crack the shell, and getting successful germination. Cracking them is a plus, and I can't help but think that the saliva helps. Scoff away, but that's what I'm going to try. Good luck. -granger

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm germing some seeds today from '08, and some from'07. I'm gonna be using spit. Yes. Saliva.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Cuttings-Starting-Plants_vq1120.htm

Also, there's a thread that talks about putting old seeds in your mouth to carefully crack the shell, and getting successful germination. Cracking them is a plus, and I can't help but think that the saliva helps. Scoff away, but that's what I'm going to try. Good luck. -granger

Have old seeds commin out my butt.. NTL, i'll try it.

just have to make sure you have good oral health... i imagine that the amylase found in saliva is what is aiding germination. one of the principle ways that GA aids germination is via upregulation of amylase synthesis

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
"amylase! godalmity(mite). is that like 'trench mouth'!???
Maybe get som 'freaks'! with amylase solution???HAHA!!:tiphat: