What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

jacks 3-2-1 RDWC Deficiency Help

rdwc grower

Hello All!
I'm a first time grower and I'm having some issues with mag deficiency in my leaves (I think) using the jacks 3-2-1 method. Here is my setup and specs;

RDWC with a total of 10 gallons
2 plants
water temps are at 67 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit
heavily oxygenated water
900w (model) led
ph is 5.8
total res change every week
I use RO water
jacks 5-12-26 3 grams per gallon
jacks 15-0-0 2 grams per gallon
Epsom salt 1 gram per gallon
great white microzyme 1ml per gallon

I add the jacks 5-12-26 and the Epsom salt at the same time in the res then add the jacks 15-0-0 10 min later then adjust the ph. Im open to suggestions on what i need to change to help my babies out. thanks!

Attachments

• 20180219_064340.jpg
    20180219_064340.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180219_064303.jpg
    20180219_064303.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180219_064258.jpg
    20180219_064258.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 21

rdwc grower

air temp is right around 78 degrees
humidity is around 35 to 40% (i struggle to get them this high since the humidity outside the tent is 26%)

beta

Veteran
IMO that's calcium deficiency from using RO. I wouldn't use RO, I've noticed lots of people using Jacks' have issues with it and it's very wasteful anyhow. If your water is reasonably clean, why remove the naturally occurring calcium and magnesium just to add it back?

I've used 3-2-1 + fulvic with tap water in 4 different locations and had lots of success at each.

rdwc grower

Don't use RO, I've noticed lots of people using Jacks' have issues with it and it's very wasteful anyhow.

I've used 3-2-1 + fulvic with tap water in 4 different locations and had lots of success at each.

do you use dechlorinator? Am i correct to stay around 5.8 ph?

beta

Veteran
do you use dechlorinator? Am i correct to stay around 5.8 ph?

No, I actually add a small amount of chlorine to my rez to avoid issues with pathogens in the water.

Dechlorination only matters if you're running soil with a microherd breaking down organic matter. Even then, dechlorination is of dubious importance. I water my outdoor veggie garden with chlorinated water directly out of the house and it does great.

5.8 is awesome. I usually aim for 5.6 when I mix my rez, and it'll have drifted up closer to 6.0-6.2 by the time it's time to refill a week later. I grow multifeed DTW, fwiw.

rdwc grower

I seen another thread where they use fulvic and i would like to try it. Is there a certain amount per gallon? Any certain type to be used in dwc?

beta

Veteran
I seen another thread where they use fulvic and i would like to try it. Is there a certain amount per gallon? Any certain type to be used in dwc?

I use the dry powdered fulvic from Kelp4Less.com at a rate of 1/4g per gallon. I usually premix a stock solution of 1/4g per ml (appx. 1000g/gal), then use a ml per gallon of that.

rdwc grower

cool, im going to do a res change with my city tap water and go grab some fulvic now lol. last question but what are your total ppms and do you add the 3 part mixture any certain way to prevent issues? thanks!

beta

Veteran
cool, im going to do a res change with my city tap water and go grab some fulvic now lol. last question but what are your total ppms and do you add the 3 part mixture any certain way to prevent issues? thanks!

I beleive my EC is somewhere around 1.3 when all is said and done, though I haven't checked forever.

It is very very very important that when you mix the ingredients that you don't allow concentrated Hydro to mix with concentrated Cal-Nit. Rinse the containers you use to dissolve the powdered nutes very well between ingredients. The epsom can be added to the Hydro concentrate safely, though.

I do it like this:

1) Chlorine
2) Fulvic
3) Hydro / epsom
4) Cal-Nit

Be sure to mix well into your rez between ingredients before adding the next ingredient to avoid nutrients precipitating out of solution.

rdwc grower

Im sooo grateful for your help. ive been thinking of some more question to ask all at once so here they are lol.
#1- should i collect the city tap water before it goes through my water softener or after?
#2- do you run the same nute mix all the way through veg and flower?
#3-how long do you flush before harvest in a dwc?
#4- do you cut all the nutes at the same time when you flush and feed only tap water?

beta

Veteran
Im sooo grateful for your help. ive been thinking of some more question to ask all at once so here they are lol.
#1- should i collect the city tap water before it goes through my water softener or after?
#2- do you run the same nute mix all the way through veg and flower?
#3-how long do you flush before harvest in a dwc?
#4- do you cut all the nutes at the same time when you flush and feed only tap water?

1) DEFINITELY before the water softener.
2) I run the same nute mix from clone through mid flower, then drop everything in half and add MOAB for 1-2 weeks. Week 7 I drop the cal-nit entirely, and the last two weeks get plain tap water.
3) I don't know much about DWC, just DTW
4) Yup.

rdwc grower

so the craziest this just happened twice!
I just replaced the res with the tap water and jacks the same way i have been by putting jacks with the epsom salt then waiting about 30 min until all those nutes are dissolved then adding the jacks cal nitrate. After about 10 min the water gets super cloudy and the ppms are getting considerably lower. My city tap water is ruffly 450 ppm at a ph of 7.2. I did a full res change twice same thing happened. This never happened with ro water? What am i doing wrong?

rdwc grower

i havent even got to adjust the ph before it got cloudy. i just dumped some ph down in there to lower the ph of 7.7 (crazy) and the ppm just shot back up and some of the cloudyness went away?

rdwc grower

So i decided to drain the res once again. I added my city tap water (not softened) to the system with zero nutes yet. My plan is to bring the res temp up to 68 (currently 58) and adjust the crazy high ph of 7.2 to 5.8 before adding any nutes. Ive added a ton of ph down, it almost seems wrong to add as much as i did but it only moved it a little. ive added 4 capfuls of ph down so far and i need more but im waiting a minute before i do.

beta

Veteran
So i decided to drain the res once again. I added my city tap water (not softened) to the system with zero nutes yet. My plan is to bring the res temp up to 68 (currently 58) and adjust the crazy high ph of 7.2 to 5.8 before adding any nutes. Ive added a ton of ph down, it almost seems wrong to add as much as i did but it only moved it a little. ive added 4 capfuls of ph down so far and i need more but im waiting a minute before i do.

You should pH after everything is in the rez and mixed well. The *final* pH should be 5.8.

beta

Veteran
thats how i always did it with ro water but im tryin to stop the cloudy water thing with tap water lol

The cloudy water thing? You shouldn't get cloudy anything as long as you don't allow concentrated nutrients to mix.

Cloudiness is caused by precipitation, and precipitation is caused by concentrated nutrients reacting with each other. The pH is mostly irrelevant when it comes to precipitation.

rdwc grower

Update, i switched all the nutrients over to the advanced nutrients sensi line around the 3rd week of veg and I'm still having these same "rust spots". Im in my 3rd week of flower as well. I'm beyond stumped?