What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with octbabubbler

I have a 1 hp leader pump and 1" pipe that runs about 10 feet and then splits into 2 - 1" lines going across 2 tables 4x8 tables. There are ball valves at the pump and one on each line that splits and 2 on the end of each split line.

With the rubber insert removed I can get equal flow at 25-50psi at each emitter. But that is to much flow. Even with the blue 2gph octbabubbler inserts, but, if I put the rubber insert back in the octabubbler I get the proper 2gph flow on 90% of the emitters but the other random 10% don't feed much or anything at all. And its not just the emitters at the end of the run. It will be random emitters. and if you keep turning the pressure on/off the emitters that aren't working bounce around all over.

TLDR: I need the even low flow of having the rubber insert in the octbabubbler but not all the emitters work with it installed. Without the rubber insert I get even flow to all emitters but to much flow.

is the pump to big or is the main 1" feed line to big?

Setup worked fine without the rubber inserts to water beds and 3 gallon pots with c frame sprayers but im having all sorts of problems trying to get it to work with the rubber inserts installed so I can slow the flow for charcoir cubes.

eric2028

Veteran
I was having the same issues with my red octabubblers. I ended up taking the rubber washer out. Could you remove the washer and then control your flow by adjusting your ball valves? I definitely didn’t see even water distribution with that washer in either, I was disappointed.

oti$

I take the washers out and have ball valves on the risers beneath each octobubbler. You can then dial each bubbler individually. I typically run a Wayne 1hp sprinkler pump feeding at least 8 octos(2 4x8 beds) and have run 16 octos(4 beds) with the same pump and am able to achieve even flow with this set up.

queequeg152

Veteran
you are describing a classic hydraulics issue.

your pump is not properly sized for very low flows at high head.

i would bet a ham sandwich that you are trying to use a centrifugal pump... the fact that you can develop 50psi, im guesing you are using a fucking jet pump lol.

your pump is insanely over sized.

if you want even flows you need a pump that is suited to high pressure(head) at low flow rates. a diaphragm pump is your friend here.

alternativly... since it seems like your pump is actually capable of reaching 50psi, you could actually use an accumulator to fix this issue but i would need alot more info on your pump.

thing is though... your pump is so large that an accumulator would need to be likewise-very large so that you could prevent short cycling of the pump. if you dont care about pump life... you can undersize the accumulator though.

accumulators start at around 70-80 bucks and the price runs away from there where 30ish gallon tanks cost like 300-400 bucks. at that point its much cheaper to just get a diaphragm pump + a small accumulator.

Latest posts

Latest posts