What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 ways keeping bees will improve your cannabis

clearheaded

As we all know bees are very important for ecosystem and have taken huge loses in populations. So the more reasons to keep bees the better. I would like to share a few reasons why keeping bees can improve your cannabis garden!

1. Honey, sweet sticky yummy on its own but has great uses for your organic garden. I like to take the lower grade honey ie the stuff that crystalizes the fastest but any will do, and not filter it. most of us use mollasses in tea brewing or just watering/final flush. Honey I have found to be better as it also has some(albiet less sulfur) micro nutes, but also does not give that generic mollases taste to your buds as many people complain about when used in final weeks of flower.

2. WAX, I use small bits or powdered wax when transplanting and also contained in the waterings with unfiltered honey. Bees wax contains small amounts of hormones aswell as other nutrients for your soil which boost growth. in particular tricontinol (sp). not water soluble but why important to let the roots be in contact. perhaps not as useful as the other 2 but none the less small added benefit.

3. Propolis, the pull and snap terpy hash like substance used to seal the hive not only is it awesome to add to topicals for its healing antifungal anti bacteria viral properties but is great for pest and disease control. propolis is basically resins terps collected from buds of plants and trees and herbs. So all the defences that the local plants have created to protect themselves from pests and diseases are concentrated by the bees. It is very medical smelling and works great to add to essential oil sprays or neem. It not only prevents pest attacks but actually works really well to knock down and prevent PM. It doesnt take alot and I am not sure why it isnt talked about more. but a wonderful bonus to keeping bees.

SECONDARY REASONS;

pollen of course is great to add micronutrients and supercharge microlife, some is in the honey. bit harder to harvest but is something to think about.

In the spring I collect the dead bees from outside the hive and add directly to mix or add to compost. This adds chitin and therefore chitonase. Which not only boosts the SAR or plants immunity but also chitonase does keep insects from wanting to set up shop as it breaks downs there exoskeleton/warns alot of there buddies have died there.

Bees also will improve the balance of the ecosystem in the area which in turn helps keep your garden in check aswell.