What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Jersey lawmakers: Legalization will proceed despite Sessions’ marijuana directive

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Jersey lawmakers: Legalization will proceed despite Sessions’ marijuana directive
By Katie Jennings
<time itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-01-04 19:31:56">01/04/2018 07:31 PM EST</time>
<time itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-01-04 19:31:56">
</time>
<time itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-01-04 19:31:56">Supporters of legalizing recreational marijuana in New Jersey, including Gov.-elect Phil Murphy, intend to forge ahead despite a Thursday announcement from Attorney General Jeff Sessions signaling tougher enforcement of existing federal marijuana laws.
“Governor-elect Murphy believes strongly in New Jersey’s right to chart its own course on legalizing marijuana, which will allow for law enforcement to focus their time and resources on prosecuting violent crimes rather than non-violent drug offenders,” Murphy’s spokesperson, Dan Bryan, said in a statement.
</time>Throughout his campaign, Murphy, a Democrat who takes office Jan. 16, championed legalization as both a social justice issue and a way to generate $300 million in tax revenue for the state.
On Thursday, Sessions rescinded an Obama-era policy limiting federal prosecutions of businesses and people who sell marijuana legally under state law, even though the drug remains illegal under federal law. Session opposes both medicinal and recreational marijuana use.
In his one-page directive, Sessions wrote that future prosecutions would be up to the discretion of the local U.S. attorney.
The move comes just days after California's legalization of recreational marijuana went into effect.
Democratic state Sen. Nick Scutari, the prime sponsor of a bill that would legalize and tax recreational marijuana in New Jersey for people age 21 and older, said he wasn’t worried.
“It’s not a directive to U.S. attorneys or the DEA [Drug Enforcement Administration] to crack down on any of these programs. It’s just to disregard the [Cole] memo,” Scutari said, referencing the Obama-era policies, which were largely issued by former Deputy Attorney General Jim Cole.
“Doesn’t the federal government have other things to deal with than trying to get in the way of a business that’s creating excitement in New Jersey?” he asked.
Scutari said he plans to reintroduce his legalization bill later this month after Republican Gov. Chris Christie, who has long opposed legalization, leaves office.
State Senate President Steve Sweeney called Sessions’ directive “regressive.”
“We will continue to work toward legalization and will resist any attempts by Attorney General Sessions or the Trump Administration to impose its will on the states and to stop the progress that has been made to reform the prohibition-type mentality that criminalizes the use of marijuana,” Sweeney said.
While the Democrats struck a defiant tone on Thursday, the ambiguity of Sessions’ directive could make it harder for fledgling marijuana businesses to secure loans and financing from banks. One of the memos the attorney general withdrew was a 2014 Justice Department policy that seemed to assure banks that they could do business with marijuana sellers complying with state laws.
But the biggest outstanding question for the future of legalization in New Jersey sits with Craig Carpenito, a Christie ally, who will assume the role of interim U.S. attorney for New Jersey on Friday.
The U.S. attorney’s office did not respond to a request for comment as to whether Carpenito planned to prosecute marijuana-related businesses in the state.
New Jersey has a medical marijuana program, which has licensed six dispensaries, and public opinion polling has shown a majority of residents support legalization efforts.
Carpenito is sure to face questions on the issue from Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) during the confirmation process.
Booker, who has introduced legislation to reschedule marijuana on the federal level, said Sessions was determined to “revive the failed War on Drugs.”
“History has shown that our deeply broken drug laws disproportionately harm low-income communities and communities of color and cost us billions annually in enforcement, incarceration, and wasted human potential, without making us any safer,” Booker said in a statement. “This unjust, backwards decision is wrong for America, and will prove to be on the wrong side of history.”
https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/01/04/new-jersey-lawmakers-legalization-will-proceed-despite-sessions-marijuana-directive-172906

Oh, and FK YOU mr sessions you anti-Freedom, anti-American traitor

rolandomota

Vermont aint slowing down either the house passed their rec bill on Thursday right after J Session's shitnanigans . The one bad thing is that other states reps will use this as a reason to not pass broad medical or rec in the behind the times states like texas or the ones with all weed illegal i think its like 5 or so they will use this to say their states shouldn't legalize it only takes one dickhead or dumb broad in charge of a committee to fuck a bill up by stalling it. Its worse in Texas these asshats dont gather every year its every 2 years and the love their stall tactics here I hope someone with more common sense is the chair this time in 2019 they aint changing a damn thing in 2018

Bumbatar

Vermont aint slowing down either the house passed their rec bill on Thursday right after J Session's shitnanigans . The one bad thing is that other states reps will use this as a reason to not pass broad medical or rec in the behind the times states like texas or the ones with all weed illegal i think its like 5 or so they will use this to say their states shouldn't legalize it only takes one dickhead or dumb broad in charge of a committee to fuck a bill up by stalling it. Its worse in Texas these asshats dont gather every year its every 2 years and the love their stall tactics here I hope someone with more common sense is the chair this time in 2019 they aint changing a damn thing in 2018

I get bad vibes off the Vermont politicians, they are behind and moving slowly considering the cultural reputation and amount of people who support legalization in that state. Vermont is a strategic pressure point because Vermont legalization would surround the prohibitionist state of New Hampshire on all borders. It is also on the border of New York state. If I was a lobbyist trying to stop legalization I would put my money in Vermont politicians.

state legalization is great and all but this state v fed shit is so broken from the start.
working on the Removal of cannabis from Schedule I and the way it and many other drugs are classified.basically fixing the schedule based on science and research what they know about the effects of not only cannabis but other drugs.

but everyone knows the dea are assholes and would let there mother die before decrim or med federally
the way mj is such a vote getter all we need in 3 years is a legit prez candidate to use that on the election platform

people vote pro mj this day and age so it has to start at the top

ridnovir

GO NJ GO! I hope Carpenito has some sense and will not do anything stupid. NJ should legalize this year.

http://pix11.com/2018/01/11/bill-to-legalize-marijuana-in-nj-introduced-in-new-session/
you know I just went threw what I think what is the latest build of thd bill(cant find the link atm)
6 immature plants?
wtf ?
it means no fucking flowers??? are they kidding me?
even dumb assed laws like those in Colombia let you have some flowers
all it is this way///// your going to jail and give me your house

The legislation is identical to a measure introduced in the previous session that legalizes the recreational use of marijuana for those at least 21. It permits possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana, 16 ounces of marijuana-infused products in solids, 72 ounces in liquid form, 7 grams of concentrate and up to six immature plants.

The garden state my ass
what why not 100 plants but only 5 grams of flower?
just as stupid
better not be no jail or nothing for trees with flowers cus I will be guity

Latest posts

Latest posts