What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

#11 Biological control #11 Amblyseius Swirskii- control of Thrips

VortexPower420

Veteran
I discovered the power of predatory bug s with a mite and aphid infestation. Total annilation and no effort.

I hope I never have to deal with this problem though.

Dion

And a lot less work!!!

so the swrskii will def destroy the broads?

I have a chilli or two in the veg area- I hear they can live off pollen from chilli, plus they are generalists- do you think it's possible they could establish in there? protect future grows as well?

I discovered the power of predatory bug s with a mite and aphid infestation. Total annilation and no effort.

I hope I never have to deal with this problem though.

for me it was my first time dealing with spider mites- recommended (acording to the science articles) was smth like 40 predators per sq meter but the smallest pack I can buy in this local is 250- my garden is 1sq m- I put 8 of the 10 bags in the garden and the other 2 around the house plants

spider mites? nah brah- never see those anymore lol

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have never tried to keep them alive on pollen so I can't help much, the story goes they will survive on a diet of pollen. I suspect you would need a lot of pollen distributed around your room to maintain a viable population!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Each pepper plant would produce more than enough pollen to sustain a localized mite population, though with lower fecundity.

What type of peppers? ;)

Biobest sells a mixture of cat tail pollen and other feed, the application rate is quite low. The cost is high but cheaper than successive releases. Control of pest mites is increased with diet supplementation.

The issue comes after several generations, predator mites reared on artificial diets alone become very docile in comparison.

Has anyone successfully wiped out a broad infestation with swirskii? I ask because everything I've read academically references adequate but not complete control. 80-90% reduction. Bearing in mind controlled trials do not equate to field (or in our case, room) use.

It's been three years Moses, how has it gone? Any issues?

Dion

Well my Aquaponics area that recently went soil has been my veg area as well as peppers strawberries and lettuce

I'm not sure the exact species but bullhorn pepper, ring o fire and some other type

I too want to know if the swerskii can completely ereadiate the mites

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Each pepper plant would produce more than enough pollen to sustain a localized mite population, though with lower fecundity.

What type of peppers? ;)

Biobest sells a mixture of cat tail pollen and other feed, the application rate is quite low. The cost is high but cheaper than successive releases. Control of pest mites is increased with diet supplementation.

The issue comes after several generations, predator mites reared on artificial diets alone become very docile in comparison.

Has anyone successfully wiped out a broad infestation with swirskii? I ask because everything I've read academically references adequate but not complete control. 80-90% reduction. Bearing in mind controlled trials do not equate to field (or in our case, room) use.

It's been three years Moses, how has it gone? Any issues?

Hi Mikell, yes after three years I am still using Swirskiis. I briefly tried spraying with neudorff horticultural oil, which did work but it was too laborious. I think I would agree with something like 80-90% reduction, because the broads always become a problem again after a couple weeks.

Dion

Hi Mikell, yes after three years I am still using Swirskiis. I briefly tried spraying with neudorff horticultural oil, which did work but it was too laborious. I think I would agree with something like 80-90% reduction, because the broads always become a problem again after a couple weeks.

Well that sucks to hear

Anything actually effective for broadmites?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
As it says in Mikell's post adequate control but not complete.

If you find a way of 100% eradication please let us know.

Until then Swirskii mites is the best option for me!

Dion

interesting i was thinking of using fugi

how would one tell the dif between swirskii and broads?

i had my macro setup ready and took some photos of the swirskii coming out the bags but they were smaller than the broads, whiter too

although i couldnt get a usable photo internet searches show they look very very similar

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
the mandibles of predator mites point forward while those of sap suckers points down.

also predator mites tend to be quick! the pests dont move around as much.

also what moses said :biggrin:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You may have been observing the larval or nymph stages of swirskii (proto and deutonymphs for the dorks amungus).

Larvae are the easiest to ID, having three pairs of legs as opposed to four in all other stages.

I'd caution against using any study as proof positive something will work. While the one posted is preferable (plants were used!), what works in a controlled setting may not "in the field".

Not to say don't try (I would if I could), just not to come at it with high expectations.

Dion

Sounds about right seen as Moses says they r bigger, kinda remember reading that too

Seen as u and Moses reckon control for 2 weeks I'll ride it out and observe til New Years

If they r able to establish and breed then they should still be around in large numbers

Thanks for the help gang

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
swirskii are expensive but they earn their keep. they've stuck around our garden for a couple months after being deployed. we may release another batch in a couple weeks. the numbers seem to have finally dwindled a bit.

we get the 50k breeding system from biobest and fill our own teabags to save some dollars. the breeding system comes with food stock to encourage them to stick around and breed even if they devour all your pests immediately.

we've come to love them. they're like tiny lions roaming a vast jungle. my garden partner printed out a macro of the swirskii and cut it out in a heart shape and hung it on our wall lol.

actually we used cucumeris for thrip control (way cheaper). the swirskii were ordered when we spotted early signs of two-spotted mites in late august.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long forelegs extending well beyond the head of the body. Quick, darting movements. Size, if you have an accurate scale of reference.

moses wellfleet

Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts