What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser For Spidermites?

TheBakedBaker

I use SNS-217 and Neem Oil and it seems to work for a week or so.. but they come back.

I was in the pharmaceutical section of the local grocery store and saw a couple oils and a small electrical diffuser for sale..

I was wondering if using aromatherapy methods could work the same way as water-based sprays do?

Could I just put some rosemary oil in it, turn the fans off and turn it on for 30 minutes a day, and not have to deal with spray bottles and trying to get underneath every fan leaf?

There was also an oil blend called 4 Thrive that has lemon, rosemary, clove and eucalyptus oils mixed together.. that would be a good bug killer, too, i would imagine..

Betterhaff

Veteran
Most of the essential oil based insecticides are contact killers. Not sure if the aroma therapy type delivery systems would disperse enough of the goodies to be affective.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Please don't, especially not in flower.

Mites are slaves to their breeding cycle. Kill all new hatchlings before they lay eggs. When the eggs have all hatched and you've killed all the hatchlings, the infestation is over. Safer's 3-in-1 or water/isopropyl alcohol will do the trick, just be sure to keep it out of the root zone.

Be sure to also find the original source and treat this area as well. If possible.

TheBakedBaker

Most of the essential oil based insecticides are contact killers. Not sure if the aroma therapy type delivery systems would disperse enough of the goodies to be affective.

I was figuring if it's enough to get into my nostrils, it's enough to get onto the pistils. without being 98% water

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Use only in well ventilated area...

One ounce of at least 70% isopropyl to a gallon of water.

Keep It OUT of the Root Zone!

Bongstar420

I have rosemary that get murdered by mites.

The mites form strains and there are numerous species which have preferences.

At best, it would keep them from migrating through your window if they happen to not like what ever you added. They might like it though unlikely.

If you do botanicals, you need to spray every 4 days for about 3 weeks. Some botanicals will murder your plants. I find lemongrass is bad which is a shame because its a demonstrated deterrent under broad circumstances with pesticide activity.

Aroma diffusion may effect your crop. It can be positive or negative depending..

As a note, I've had cannabis plants kill their own mites after a little rain. I could see the terps floating on the droplets then a few weeks later, not a mite to be found.

I use SNS-217 and Neem Oil and it seems to work for a week or so.. but they come back.

I was in the pharmaceutical section of the local grocery store and saw a couple oils and a small electrical diffuser for sale..

I was wondering if using aromatherapy methods could work the same way as water-based sprays do?

Could I just put some rosemary oil in it, turn the fans off and turn it on for 30 minutes a day, and not have to deal with spray bottles and trying to get underneath every fan leaf?

There was also an oil blend called 4 Thrive that has lemon, rosemary, clove and eucalyptus oils mixed together.. that would be a good bug killer, too, i would imagine..

TheBakedBaker

As a note, I've had cannabis plants kill their own mites after a little rain. I could see the terps floating on the droplets then a few weeks later, not a mite to be found.

*mind blown*

So... do you think a spray bottle with 98% water, a little soap and a little hash oil would be a good miticide? Or just a waste of hash oil?

I think that's a fantastic idea to try. When I mix neem seed cake into my soil, it stinks and I wouldn't be surprised if it deters insects from the whole area. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts