What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Column heating

Dirt Bag

As some of you may know, We have had issues with the cooling and heating of our closed loop column. Namely, getting the dry ice/alcohol slurry out of the dewaxing sleeve (without wasting it) and warming the column afterwards. Thanks to Grey Wolf's advice we ditched cooling and opted for chilled solvent and frozen material & column as this ices up as it fills and is out of range of my IR thermometer. GW then fills his sleeve with 150°F water, which by his photos looks like it's circulating. All fine and dandy if you possess those capabilities, but it's simply not feasible for me. So I searched and found this: BriskHeat HSTAT051010 XtremeFLEX HSTAT Silicone Rubber Heating Tape With Adjustable Thermostat Controller, W x L: 0.5 x 120-Inch, 120VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZEJVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xQz9Ab1PE7WF9

Are any of you using something like this? Seems like a good idea...

troutman

Seed Whore
You could always wrap copper tubing around the column run hot or cold water in it so it acts as an heat exchanger. :tiphat:

Dirt Bag

We just don't have the ability to get water out there in any feasible manner.

On a side editors note, sorry for the double post. This one didn't appear to me until after I posted the next. ��

dongle

Briskheat and others make silicone rubber heaters that will probably do a better job and easier to apply.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As some of you may know, We have had issues with the cooling and heating of our closed loop column. Namely, getting the dry ice/alcohol slurry out of the dewaxing sleeve (without wasting it) and warming the column afterwards. Thanks to Grey Wolf's advice we ditched cooling and opted for chilled solvent and frozen material & column as this ices up as it fills and is out of range of my IR thermometer. GW then fills his sleeve with 150°F water, which by his photos looks like it's circulating. All fine and dandy if you possess those capabilities, but it's simply not feasible for me. So I searched and found this: BriskHeat HSTAT051010 XtremeFLEX HSTAT Silicone Rubber Heating Tape With Adjustable Thermostat Controller, W x L: 0.5 x 120-Inch, 120VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZEJVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xQz9Ab1PE7WF9

Are any of you using something like this? Seems like a good idea...

All of the WolfWurx Terpenators before the Mk IVC and VC, used silicone heat mats that we had custom made in China with a Type J thermocouple embedded and we used a PID controller to maintain set point.

For a 4" X 36" column, we used three 2.5W per in/sq 10X12" silicone mats, and used the thermocouple in the center one for control.

We tried the Briskheat mats, and they worked, but were too stiff to wrap in but one direction.

Dirt Bag

Thanks ya'll. Went with Keenovo. Great price. Great customer service. They recommended this silicone heat tape in the 10m length along with their digital controller for a 1.5" column as their smallest "explosion proof" jacket type is too big and wouldn't fit/work properly. Granted the tape takes longer to put on and take off, it's more versatile and considerably less expensive. You do have to do some electrical work, as these come in two parts, but with a little solder, tape, and a heatshrink tube you're gtg.
Next we plan to get their circular heat mat and a couple quick connect jacks to use this controller for the vacuum chamber heater as well. We don't need to use both at the same.
Keenovo is the way to go! If that's not their slogan, it should be.

Last edited: