What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

easiest ways to reuse organic soil for perpetual grow?

munkey

Hello I was wondering if anyone has an easy way to reuse soil? Easy means not having to move the soil around too much, not too time consuming, or having too many bins/totes ect. Does anyone amend or cook their soil in the same pot grow after grow without having to remove the soil? Or does anyone have their own way of reusing soil in a perpetual grow that is quick and easy?

munkey

How important is it to cook the soil from a previous grow? Can I just pull out the old plant, loosen and amend the soil, add compost tea and stick a clone in there?

Munkey bio bizz makes a Formula called pre mix.

. It is used as a transplant or starter fertilizer to sponsor plant essentials during the beginning of a plant’s life. Blend into soils or soilless substrates when planting and transplanting. -

Ive used this and some roots organics UPRISING no cooking neccessary.Im no expert but its working for me!!!

munkey

I just checked biobizzs website for pre mix. Maybe one day I can try that out. I've been wanting to make my own soil or use a recipe like super soil and amend the soil after every harvest for reuse. I think I just found the answer to my questions. I just read about no till soil growing and it sounds like the easiest way to grow for me. Especially not having to move the soil around making a mess. Just amend the soil after every grow and put a fresh cutting in. I'm considering doing large smart pots like 50 gallons.

Picarus

I remove old stumps, roots, add amendments, mix , water in fresh nemàtodes, plant. I add 1 fresh cubic ft of soil , worm castings , 1 1/4 cup biofish from "down to earth", 1/4 cup crab meal, 1/2 cup each micronized azomite, pellet azomite, and dolomite to 50 gallon planter. Works well.

Bambøø

And cook it ! its better ^^

Peros, after clean my soil and add amendements i use a bit of water with molasse or EWC. If u dont have brewer u can put that in a bottle and shake 3 time/day during 2-3 days.

++

Last edited:
Im using some used soil with some new. I added the premix worm castings mycos and roots uprising and only add water.you can top dress with new soil or the roots organics uprising during bloom.I pot up before flowering to a 5 gallon fabric bag.The roots uprising is some great stuff!Instead of sourcing all the ingredients i took the easy way out.

Dry fertilizer is derived from fish bone meal, oyster shell flour, kelp meal, greensand, soybean meal, glacial rock dust, alfalfa meal, feather meal, bat guano, langbeinite, rock phosphate, leonardite and hop flowers

No problems on three different strains and no shopping around!!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, "no-till" is the easiest way to recycle soil. it helps to get a soil mix going which will be good for the long haul {i.e. soil chemistry doesn;t start off way out of whack} then you can just mulch w/ compost or dynamic accumulators to keep it productive

mulching w/ something like straw and/or living mulches is a big game changer here too

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah ~typically the kinds of plants used for cover crops/green manures outdoors. choose for smaller cultivars or keep trimmed. {usually folks will chop & drop the "mulch" crop creating a duff layer/"dead" mulch}

basically something like a bonsai outdoor field {model}

one forum member a few years ago was using a micro-clover. but, the micro clover is hard to find/expensive

offthehook

Veteran
Large amounts of soil is ususally a good thing to achieve this more easely Munkey. The 50 gallon pots you have in mind sound already fairly good by me and I would consider it a minimum necessity.

Adding about 30% dried, marble/pigeon-egg sized brown, black, or red clay chunks to your medium will improve soil live capacity and therefore clean up your medium. (Discard clay dust! Only use the chunks and don't use grey or yellow clay!)

munkey

Thanks for all the advice. Anybody ever do both hydro and soil before? I want to get an idea of how much yield will be compromised with soil. Say for example a hydro setup yields 1.5 lbs and under same conditions a soil setup yields 1 lb. Organic grown buds are some of the best tasting smelling buds I've ever had. However I have a weight goal to achieve.

vostok

Veteran
I'm now organized after years of casual soil dumping, I'm at last nice and tidy with my amendments ...lol ..I estimate a 25-35% drop in nutes each season and top up with worm cats, goat shit, blood and bone and the best kelp around for miles ....lol

samisomo

If you tend your soil meanning: adding humus and teas every so and maybe put some good leaves and stirring up the soil sometimes then u can replant a new plant right away after 1 was harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts