What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EC to PPM ( basic conversion chart )

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
E.C = P.P.M
0.2------140
0.4------280
0.6------420
0.8------560
1.0------700
1.2------840
1.4------980
1.6-----1120
1.8-----1260
2.0-----1400
2.2-----1540
2.4-----1680
2.6-----1820

:)

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey IM Boggled!

That's a good chart, but is it true that ec:ppm is different based on the meter used? I saw this chart over at OG, and thought I'd drag it here for reference:

2253ec-ppmChart.jpg

G

You're right Buzzbob, the conversion depends on what country the meter was manufactured in. My meter was built in Aulstralia (Truncheon), so I get the 1.0EC/700PPM conversion on my meter. This is why I ALWAYS refer to nutes in EC, that seems more universal than PPM. Otherwise you always have to say, my PPM is 1200 @ 700 or 1200 @ 5 etc, can get confusing after a while.

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey GIS!

I am already cornfused! :confused: As if the varying scales by manufacturer weren't enough!

1200 @ 700 or 1200 @ 5
I have seen this type of notation, but have never understood it! What is its meaning??

Also, if you know, where does my cheesey li'l TDS Meter fall?

Click for Larger Image

....off the table, to be broken so I have to spring for a better one? I'm already formulating that opinion about my Checker1 pH Meter by Hanna...

G

Click for Larger Image

this is my meter, a popular one called truncheon. what the meter is actually reading is 1.0 EC, converted to 700 PPM. this is where it gets kind of weird. On american made meters 1.0 EC is converted to 500 PPM. The meters themselves read EC, the conversion they print on the meters are just for reference and go by whichever measurement system they have in the country of manafacture.

Similar to the metric/american conversion it's just 2 definitions that mean the same thing in reality. This time though, it has the same name with different numbers, and still means the same thing! Stupid? YES! If someone is refering to PPM on the wrong meter they can be off by 400PPM!!!

The notation is simply defining what meter they are using. aparently the chart up there says theres even a 6.4 conversion ?? lol Anyways, the easiest way to combat the confusion is to stick to EC as a universal.

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Okay, I understand the Confusion Factor now... Thanx GIS!

I still have an issue over what Conversion Factor my HM Digital TDS Meter 4 uses... I have sent an eMail to their Sales Info address asking.

Once I know, I will start reporting my ppm with either the factor, or expressed as EC, as everyone probably should in order to avoid confusion!

Wow am i confused holy smokies lmao Im gonna have to reread i guess...Do u guys see a difference in your grows using these meters...I have a hanna ph pen and thats all i use dont have this kind i just go by neasurements i know this could be constude as a dumbass ? but im gonna ask it anyway been flirting with the idea of getting one....

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey Refried! -- :wave:

There are no dumbasses on IC... Just the perpetually cornfused; Like me! :D

I am probably not the best to address this, but IMHO, yes. If you are doing Hydro, having both a pH & a TDS Meter are probably a good idea.

There are those that fly by the seat of their pants, and feed their ladies based on nute feeding charts, and "what the plants tell them" they need. But if you want a firmer grasp on the precise status of where your nute mix is, then you need these meters.

Once you have the TDS Meter, then you can gauge exactly how much nutrients your plants are taking up {or not, as in the case of a nute block}. It will help you to keep your mix right where you want it, and will support tailoring your mix to whatever strain you are currently running, and its specific needs.

I hope that made sense!

-Bob

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
HM Digital Instruments - TDS Meter Conversion Factor

HM Digital Instruments - TDS Meter Conversion Factor

And the answer is:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message. Our TDS meters are based on an NaCl solution, which is 0.50 of conductivity.

Regards
Charles Lee

HM Digital Instruments
5819 Uplander Way
Culver City, CA 90230
Phone: 310-410-3100
Fax: 310-410-3106
http://www.tdsmeter.com

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
refried_brains said:
So a soil grower like myself really wouldnt be helped then is what your saying....
Hmmmm... You know, since I have strictly been focusing on Hydro, I really do not know to be honest...

Well thanx for the very fast reply I guess maybe someone else may chime in here that might know thanx though i appricate the honesty:abduct:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Conversion and Calculation Tables (link)

Conversion and Calculation Tables (link)

Conversion and Calculation Tables...

growers can simply plug in the figures they have in order to convert between metric and U.S. measurements, or vice versa.

Growing Edge Magazine Conversion page

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
refried_brains, pH and total dissolved solids is relevent to soil growing...:)

Nutrient disorders are caused by too much or too little of one or several nutrients being available.
These nutrients are made available between a pH range of 5 and 7 and a total dissolved solids (TDS) range of approximately 800 to 3000 PPM. Maintaining these conditions is the key to proper nutrient uptake.

Nutrient disorders

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts