What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Herb dryer on a budget.

G

This a little thread about my herb dryer tha was built 90% form items obtained from Wal-Mart.

To start off.

It all began when I needed a way to dry my herb, but was having a hard time due to the smell. I thought there has to be a better way. So I started looking at the obvious place, "the internet". I found a herb dyer at quickgrowcanada.com, but they wanted around $400 us dollars for it. This was out of the question for me, so I decided to build my own. I won't go into all the details right now I will just show some photos, you can ask questions.

721DSCF2611-med.JPG

721DSCF2612-med.JPG

721DSCF2613-med.JPG

721DSCF2614-med.JPG

721DSCF2615-med.JPG

721DSCF2621-med.JPG

721DSCF2622-med.JPG

721DSCF2623-med.JPG

Pactivist

nice design

nice design

Hey Bigmo, that is a pretty nice design. You said we could ask questions right? I assume that this is a cool air dryer, so I have two q's for you. What is the cfm rating on the fan, and how long does it take for herb to dry in this? whoops i meant three q's, and finally how much herb will fit in it at one time? thanks bigmo, and peAce pact.

G

Pactivist:
Ask as many questions that you want.
Yes this is a cool air dryer. I don't know the exact cfm of the fan, but I will find out for you. It takes from about 7 to 10 days to dry completely, which I know is no more or less than hanging. I was able to get three full size plants worth of bud in it. The screens could be made larger to hold more.

This little design works great for me. I don't produce that much jut enough for me.

The filter is a active carbon filter that I modifed, and it keeps the smell down really good.

G

Nice Bigmo! I built something similar to what you have there it seems to work just fine and dries out in about a week. Then into the jars they go. Simple yet effective and you can just stack it somewhere and leave it. Good Job.

Blatant

G

Inventive idea... I'm curious as to the finish of the herb. How is the taste/smell once its ready for the jar?

I guess I'm wondering if the carbon would deplete "the good stuff".

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Pretty dang cool, BigMo!

Let me get this straight... The herb is laid out on the screens, and air is drawn through the holes in the top and end of the tub, through the scrubber, by the fan in the far end; Right?

Awesome!

Could you tell/show us more on your scrubber? Did you buy one, and modify it? Or did you build it from scratch, and fill it with activated carbon from the pet store?

Thanx!

-Bob

G

I second what Bob said, I am curious how you assembled your homemade carbon scrubber! come on, the crowd is demanding details ;)

G

Ok I should maybe clarify a little on the active carbon filter.

It isn't all that great, to be honest it really isn't a scrubber like you guys are thinking. It is just a active carbon filter cut to fit. Like I said "on a budget" it could be fitted with a small active carbon filter like the original on

http://www.quickgrowcanada.com/prodDryer.html.

Here is a couple of pics of the orignal model on thier website.

721Dryer-insideMed.gif

721Dryer-with-coverSm.gif

721Dryer-with-filterMed.gif

Not trying to promote the product or anything just used it as a reference.

Mine was copied off of their first model.
Nothing original about it, just a cheap and easy way to dry your herb. Helps keep the smell down more than you would think. I have only dried BogBubble in it so far, nothing really to rank.

G

Chronis:

Really ahvn't checked temps or humidity, but seeing as it draws air from the room outside I would assume that it would be whatever the ambient room temp and humidity was.

Maistre: The taste and smell are really no different than if they were hung dry. I made this because I really don't have a place to hang dry and even though I don't a real carbon scrubber it holds down the smell really well.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Bigmo

Thanks for posting this - love it! I have just enough space for the cab I'm building, so an area to dry the ladies would be tough, this looks to be the ticket!

udaman! -MGJ

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Fantastic BigMo

Fantastic BigMo

just cut a few Branches last nite that need drying, and NO Place to put em.
I used a Tub just like yours.

Now to get a fan and some carbon filters.

By the way how big was the carbon filter and did you just tape it inside?

Great Idea Mo.

Kudos!

Sin:wave:

G

Yes I just taped it in there if you look where you see the filter, i used ac tape to seal all gaps and the white thing on top is just a piece of styrofoam cut to fit.

Thanks again for all the comments on this little cab, didn't really think it would be so popular. Maybe a little more air flow wouldn't hurt . The fan that you see in there is a 120 volt fan so you just plug it right into the wall. The fan it self cost about 20 bucks at Radio Shack.

The angle pieces used for shelfs were purchased a Lowes. Everything else came from Wal-Mart.