What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new with a microscope

If you have read my other Q's, I am trying to get this grow as right as possible.

I am using my microscope to view my trich's for harvest.

Question is "What is perfect"??

I am at day 47 on Black domina in soil under 250 HPS

I am seeing them cloud up and a few of the smaller ones are amber (tiny trichs looked amber then some)

I would like to to clip a few colas early for a more UP high
as well as get the majority harvested on time.

When is early (what am I looking for without being too early)

What percentage need to be amber when I go dark for 48 hours??

Thanks

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
good ?

good ?

.......i dont know

lol i cut mine when i think it is time......... i dont have a scope to even look like i said i say yep she's ready to die..... :p

but im sure someone on here will have th answer for you and me :wave:

Vapour

The Herbal Gerbil
About 60% is generally agreed to be a good time but that figure does vary depending on taste.

As for what is perfect, that's subjective. If you do decide to harvest early and over a period of time though give some thought to the plant. If you chop you will stress the plant at the end of an important period. To help minimise this use a beeswax candle to seal the stalk you have just cut. This helps reduce the shock time for the plant and prevent any infections gaining hold. Should allow you to harvest over time and note the effect that has.

I harvested at day 53 last time and was looking to go a little earlier this go around. I can see what the trichromes are doing and they are ahead of what "looking at the hairs" is telling me.

How early can I chop a bit to get the most out of it, without being "young" and feel the effects of the different harvest time?

5 days? 10 days ?? more???

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
My 2 cents

My 2 cents

As Long as the trics are turning cloudy is ok to start, cut a few Branches and Buds.

Next few days Take some more. Only Problem is of course drying and curing so you can Smoke what it will realy smell and taste and Stone is like.

I go for 50/50 Clear/Cloudy for my 1st test Harvest, and wait untill the Amber comes along and just starts to over take the Cloudy Trics.

You can cut anything at any time.

Problem is you wont get the best smoke if you Qucik Dry, so it is no longer a Sample that is true.

Go ahead take some now and take some in a week. Let em both Dry and cure.

The Lower Branches should be used.

Any other thoughts?
Sin:wave:

I have grown this before, so I know what it can be with what I did last time.

I want to see if taking it a little earlier I can get more out of it.

I am sure I did not maximize the strain last time.

This grow I changed alot of what I WAS doing.

Flushed twice this time, versus once towards end last.

Uped the ferts (Fox Farm) a bit and they did well.

I am trying to get a little more uppy high, while keeping the dark
flavor.

I did take a good bud (top oops) ( scorggin so they are all tops)
and I am letting it dry and cure properly to know for sure

I want to see what more changes I can make next go round

I took this one at 45-46ish I think (not in front of the calendar right now)

Maybe I should take another tonight and check the two.

Just wasnt sure how earlier I could start this process and how much dofference I could possibly see.

How much potency am I loosing, if any ???

deZerTomB

growth

growth

I look at the growth. As long as the buds are getting bigger, don't cut!!! Then it takes about a week to notice/confirm lack of growth and hairs getting frazzled on the end. Then I look at the trichromes with a dope scope & they are usually mostly cloudy. Then it depends on how much smoke I have, how big the plants in veg are, etc. Then I am still unsure and think, Maybe I should have let her go another week, 8+)

Oh well.

stay green & safe

deZerTomB.

The Trick of the Trichs...

The Trick of the Trichs...

I am using my microscope to view my trich's for harvest.
Question is "What is perfect"??

Hi DZ,
I had taken this from a Posting in another Forum I hope this helps you some. I found it is the only way to get the desired result as the Pistils are a bit of a hit and miss.

When To Harvest Cannabis
The Trichome Method/Pics & Article by Mrmadcty

Clear Trichome
Not Enough Potency Yet. Harvesting now will decrease yield.

Cloudy Trichome
Harvesting when most Trichomes are cloudy or milky will give you a "Up/Heady/Energetic/Rushy" High.

Amber Trichome
Harvesting when most Trichomes are Amber will give you a Narcotic/Couchlock High.

Half Amber/Half Cloudy
Harvesting when you have a 50/50 mix of Amber & Cloudy Trichomes will give you a combination of head and body High..... I.E when they look like Mushrooms ;-)

So I hope that this helps you decide and as the old saying goes the "Trichs never lie".

Peace...

G

clear cloudy amber........

clear cloudy amber........

...............trics are a good way to tell where your plant is at harvest. most times I like to go till most all is cloudly.

when is perfect ?........when the weed is right for you. your goin about it the right way, runnin the strain a few times to maximize the plant from the first time ya grew it.

clones from seed plants given time to acclimate to your enviorment will produce more and have more potentcy. and this would be where ya see the plant at its best in your grow conditions.

sativas will always have the up high, lettin um go long increases the stonyness and induces sleep when overindulgin.

indicas, suprisinly enough will give some head and the narcotic body effect, when let go long they can be devistatinly powerful weed.

Ive smoked weed with nothin but amber trics, golden sledgehammer, serious smoke, most peeps cant hang that long:D

CBF

I cannot figure out how to take a photo with my video (digi) recorder. I am trying to get photos up.

I took all three on day 51. Hanging nicely as we speak.
- Most trichs were cloudy, the smallet ones were full amber and I had some (not muc) still clear. So I guess I picked a happy median with all of it. Also wanted to go ahead and get the next going.

Smoked the bud we took last week already (patienece) I like the flavor compared to last time. It is a bit "faster" then last harvest, but I cannot place on that on taking it a weel earlier. We will see when the rest is done.

Puled one out of veg that I had going and planted in a 3 gallon container this time. Was using two but saw too many roots coming out the bootoms and side on one.

Going to keep this under 18/6 - 250 hps until it get a little more size and hieght and will move two white widow clones down with her and switch the light at the same time, should be this coming Saturday.