What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A stoned theory

KRS Juan

Due to the complete lack of posting around here I am posting this theory to help generate some discussions:

So I am sitting here, high as hell, thinking about nutes.
In my last grow I used Pure Blend Pro Bloom for soil and loved it. It's fairly priced, totally organic, and my plants thrived on it. So this round I was thinking about PBP as a veg nute, except they don’t make one specifically for soil in veg, only bloom. They say their hydro line is fine for soil and that’s what really made me think (uh oh).

What I have always been taught is:
Soil nutes are salts that need the bio/micro actions of soil to be broken down into plant food.
Hydro nutes are designed for direct plant absorption.

Of course these are not rules, just generalities. But it makes me wonder if hydro nutes will not promote healthy bio/organic activity in the soil. If that’s the case then you might as well be growing some form of hydro.

This also makes me wonder if foliar feeding with hydro nutes would be much better than soil nutes as the leaves wont be breaking down the soil nutes for intake.

So school me here people. I’m I just so faded that I'm talking out of my ass (very well could be), or is this a valid concern?

Discuss
-KRS Juan-

KRS Juan

Anyone......anyone..........Bueller??????

Damn this place is a ghost-town if the thread isn't about free seeds.

-KRS Juan-

deZerTomB

nutes

nutes

I don't know much about nutes, you lost me pretty quick, maybe bong hits will help.

I just now broke down and seperated my veg water from flower water. using appropriate nutes in each.

What's the diff between soil nutes and hydro nutes?

PBP as a veg nute, except they don’t make one specifically for soil in veg, only bloom. They say their hydro line is fine for soil

try it on one tester plant and see.

And by the way, do you have any free seeds?(just kidding!!!)

stay green & safe
deZerTomB.

TheIO

I really dont know alot about this but i have been using hydro nutes in soil for a little while and my plants have loved it. *shrug* Wish i knew more.

G

You must have just moved your car huh?

I dont know about all that microbe type stuff since I'm mainly a hydro guy. But when I did do soil I used Fox Farms stuff. It seemed something that the plants in soil liked more than when I used it in a DWC. What I noticed from the two (PBP & Fox Farm) was that the PBP was more refined and did'nt have as much an earthy color to it. Which told me that this stuff was mainly a hydro solution. Being that it would'nt clog micro sprayers or just settle to the bottom. The Fox Farm being a heavier solution seemed more capable of creating a lil bio zone below the soil. When I use PBP I usually have to suppliment it with Liquid Karma and Silica, but I think that because I run a recirculating Hydro setup and that usually depletes a lot of nutrients faster than soil would.

As far as foiliar feeding goes. I usually give the girls a squirt once a day under the leaves with half strength Liquid Karma. They seem to enjoy it and perk up after I spray them. I do it up until first week of flower.

You know I'm gonna try a Fox Farm/PBP soil run with the clones I have (when sexed) to see what advantages they have over each other in all categories. So I'll work on that to see if the theory pans out.

Blatant

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
krs it would make sense that a hydro leaf feeding would work with an organic nute as well. it a great theory to try and explain seeing that the process of photosythenic( spelling?)

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
hey guys,
just got off the phone with a rep at american agritech. this is what they said the reason for the different formulations are.

and i'm just paraphrasing here....

the only difference in the two formulations is the additional phosphorus. the reason being that soil tends to absorb phosphorus making a portion of whats applied unavailable to the root system. adding the extra phosphorus remedies this problem by supplying additional P to offset that which becomes unavailable. this is not the case with hydro though. because hydro is essentially water culture with an inert medium there is no binding of P thus, no need for the increased P in the hydro formula. the formulas are EXACTLY the same besides that one element. they are completely interchangable in any medium though you may find that your girls dont get enough P if you use PBP bloom exclusively throughout flower. it is suggested that the soil formula be used as a ripening formula in hydro. conversely, the hydro bloom formula can be used for the first couple weeks of bloom but should be replaced with the soil formula beyond that or deficiencies could occur. the veg formula is unaffected by this as the demand for P is not great enough to warrant a soil formulation during veg growth, and N is in no way affected by this phenomenon.
hope this helps

peace
beans

G

Well KRS we knocked that one out what else you got? Thanks mybeans420.

Blatant