What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

power outage bummer

Vapeitall

Ok folks, I'm an old fella and have been doing this stuff for decades.
I've figured a lot of stuff out over the years and so enjoy everything about growing.
But,,,,,, I have one big issue to deal with.
We have an occasional power outage, may be due to weather, or just a lacking utility company, but I have had disasterous results a few times due to this Problem so,,,,,,,,,,
I've come up with this. Opinions?

I have a 12v timer/relay powered by a 12v automotive battery hooked up to a battery tender which fires a dpdt 12v relay which in turn fires a 4pdt 120v relay. One side of the 12v relay will power 2 battery powered LED panels wired in series through the 120v relay.
The other side of the 12v relay will power the 120v relay via the timer.
Now, I have a 400 MH and a 600 HPS in a single Magnum XXXL6 on a light rail 3.5 and each ballast will run through the 4p relay.
So the 12v timer is always powered by battery and it goes through it's normal 12 on 12 off cycles and if the power goes out the timer continues to run its course. And the 12v relay will power the LED panels on if power goes out but only if the timer is in the on cycle.

al70

Veteran
i had the same problem once, used battery leds, useless, if it happens again i will just be concentrating on air movement, battery powered fans, humidity was my problem during outage, goodluck.

palmeezy

agree with al70, the most practical concern is the humidity. i've been in some fairly remote locations and i'd always figure in an extra week during the summer months due to outages & setbacks. after a few hours with no air movement in a packed room, you'll have guttation galore.

as far as the lighting, i've always kept them off for the remainder of the light cycle, until the following day. and figure in an extra day of bloom if it was early. i use relays controlled by digital timers. with mechanical this won't work.

automatic load transfer switch and a standby generator if your well-being depends on it. it can be setup to just the run essentials depending on your load vs. output.

Latest posts

Latest posts