What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ceramic metal halides without uvb filter

Bumbatar

There is a user on Icmag named "Tangwena" who has obtained industrial ceramic metal halides without any uvb filter and has noticed a huge improvement in quality over other lights. Anyone heard of these industrial lights that give off more uvb? is there any way to take the uv filter coating off or regular CMH lights?

There are dangers involved you can get sunburn in the grow room and it is very bad for you eye sight and vision if you do not have eye protection but UVB brings out everything from higher THC to more aromatic terpenes.

Easy7

Veteran
Cmh already is above par in uv. I understand people want an edge. It doesn't outweigh risks of uvc. Unless you want cancer.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I run a lizard uvb bulb for a week or so before chop. I keep the bulb off till I close the tent, then turn it off before opening the tent. You can run the halide light without filter but just do not be exposed to it is what I would say.

I have a small LED light as a supplement light to use when working in the tent, the grow light is turned off if I have to get close to it. It has some uva coming out as it is 10,000 Kelvin.

On the cmh having uvb, it has almost none with the filter on. I am sure of that.

Bumbatar

Cmh already is above par in uv. I understand people want an edge. It doesn't outweigh risks of uvc. Unless you want cancer.

Regular CMH is better on UVA that has some benefits but scientific studies have shown it is specifically the the UVB photon that increases THC production terps and smells come out more to. Tangwena has gotten great results. This is part of the reason Colombian Highland weed and Himalayan temple ball hash is the best in the world.

Sunlight has UVA UVB AND UVC Those not filtered CMH lights have given people good results.

Bumbatar

I run a lizard uvb bulb for a week or so before chop. I keep the bulb off till I close the tent, then turn it off before opening the tent. You can run the halide light without filter but just do not be exposed to it is what I would say.

I have a small LED light as a supplement light to use when working in the tent, the grow light is turned off if I have to get close to it. It has some uva coming out as it is 10,000 Kelvin.

On the cmh having uvb, it has almost none with the filter on. I am sure of that.

Have you ever gotten a sunburn from regular CMH lights without the filter? if not I think they may be different than those mysterious unfiltered coating industrial ones. those lizard lights t5 ho's have UVB that dissipates rapidly at a distance. I think you would get more powerful results with the unfiltered industrial CMH

Those so called industrial CMH are probably the Phillips T9 single jacket bulbs. They are meant to be run with a glass filter on the shade.

Easy7

Veteran
I'll take a ever so slightly less potent harvest for safety any day of the week.

Bumbatar

I'll take a ever so slightly less potent harvest for safety any day of the week.

It makes a big difference and uv is easy to block from you eyes with eye protection or you can go into the grow room with a green light when the lights are on the off cycle. Green light dose not cause herms. Certain types of halogen lights put out UVB but hey get HOT would rather find CMH that gives off UVB not just the UVA you typically see from garden CMH.

Easy7

Veteran
Green light at night is a myth.

Light meters do not test below 380. Cmh puts out plent of 380 and up, a and b. It's likely the lamps you speak if put out uvc which is very dangerous. Double ended mh also outs out uvc in theory. Nobody has the equipment to test for uvc.

You would need gold plated nasa style space suits to prevent uvc damage. I understand everyone wants that extra 2% thc but it's pointless. Work on orher skills. Uvc is also dangerous to plants.

Easy7

Veteran
Cmh are not run in enclosed fixtures. So it's very recommended to use only philips double jacketed lamps.

Unless you want to burn your house down.

Bumbatar

Natural sunlight has UVC but a small amount. If the amount of UVC was that much of a problem it would kill the plants not make them stronger.

Easy7

Veteran
In space, not in the livable atmosphere. That's why they need good UV protection in space, the uvc.

Bumbatar

Yeah I know UVC is bad but these lights dont have enough to damage the plants they actualy get more potent because the lights produce more UVB than UVC. If the lights had as much UVC as space has the plant would die not get more potent and smell stronger.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When using the research room for UVB intensity testing it did not really matter the source of UVB.
The exact wavelength was important, any frequency shorter than 315 nm has zero benefit and longer than 330 nm loses the enhancement.
Intensity needs to between 50 uw (microwatts) and 150 uw at the leaf surface.

UVC from the sun does not reach Earth, another name is "vacuum ultraviolet" because it cannot penetrate the atmosphere.
UVB is one third of one percent of the energy making it to ground level. UVA runs closer to seven percent.

Regular glass and plastic are UVB filters, it takes special formulation to allow UVB to pass and costs extra.
Some misunderstanding is going on about UVB filters on bulbs, Some brands use special low iron glass that allows a small amount of UV through, mostly UVA and only in tiny amounts that the meter readings indicate are too low to have any effect.
Advertising points, not growing points.

Bumbatar

I think Tangwena may have been talking about Halogen lights rather than CMH whatever the amount of UVA UVB or UVC they produced it was making the plants more potent and giving them more bag appeal.

Latest posts

Latest posts