What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Three stem node

HarshToke

Working on my first grow. Small closet grow. Planning on scrog n it. Two feminized c99 plants from seed (Brothers Grimm)

Pics below

One of the plants, Lola has been a bit more vigorous than the other, Jill.

Today I topped both the girls and realized that Lola has a 3 stem node. I don't know if that's the right way of describing it but I'm a noob. Jill has the normal two stem nodes. All the nodes on Lola below the 3 stem node are 2 stem nodes.

I believe I cut right above the third node on Jill and right above the fourth node on Lola.

The nodes on thes plants are JAMMED together compared to other plants I'm seeing online.

Under a 600w mh.
Lots of ventilation!
Temps 78-79 at day & 74-77 at night
RH usually ~30%. Sometimes as low as 25% and as high as 40%

Anyways what's the deal with this 3 noder?

Sorry pic is sideways. Couldn't figure out how to do multiple images. This is Lola...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOT trifolate...
That would be a 3 leaf clover
*folate has told do with the number of leafs coming off of the petiol (leaf stem)

Whorled Phalotaxy is the correct term.

The nodes are where the leaves and branches are attached to the stem. The area between nodes are the internodes.

C99 stacks nodes tightly, ime. You might try moving them away from the light, increasing internode length, if you dont care for it's current growth.

Hmm... If that gal continues with the whorled phalotaxy she could possibly produce about 50% more bud than sis. These plants typically grow out of that but as you have topped it where there are 3 leafs at a single node, you will have 3 main tops rather than the normal two.

HarshToke

That's what I was thinking, that Lola would have the three mains now, which the way I see it, is great for scrogging.

What are the odds that this would happen again if I were to clone?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Watch that gal...

If the branches throw a 3 leaf node, chances are likely the trend will continue.

Most plants that display this trait, however, grow out of it.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I found that whorled females I’ve flowered out don’t necessarily produce more weight, just more buds. I think it’s more of a function of what the plant can support.

A lot grow out of it, I’ve topped a few that maintained the trait in the cutting but the new shoots on the parent turned regular, although there were 3 instead of the normal 2. And a lot of the whorled plants I’ve grown turn out male, interesting you found one in a female lot. It’s probably a genetic anomaly that triggers the trait.

mushroombrew

Veteran
NOT trifolate...
That would be a 3 leaf clover
*folate has told do with the number of leafs coming off of the petiol (leaf stem)

Whorled Phalotaxy is the correct term.

The nodes are where the leaves and branches are attached to the stem. The area between nodes are the internodes.

C99 stacks nodes tightly, ime. You might try moving them away from the light, increasing internode length, if you dont care for it's current growth.

Hmm... If that gal continues with the whorled phalotaxy she could possibly produce about 50% more bud than sis. These plants typically grow out of that but as you have topped it where there are 3 leafs at a single node, you will have 3 main tops rather than the normal two.

Thanks for the correction!

HarshToke

Thanks for the replys guys. I'll try to post better pics as they grow. Just since topping them yesterday they're already showing aggressive growth. Exciting!

HarshToke

So tomorrow is 3 weeks for these girls. As I said before the nodes are right on top of each other so it's definetily a stocky plant. Is this a normal size for a 3 week old plant? I'm in organic soil using buildasoil recipe. Foliar feeding twice a week with kelp/alfalfa FPJ so they're getting plenty of nutrient. They just seem so small. I can't imagine they'll be big enough to fill even half of a 2x3 scrog screen in another 5 weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7