What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crop Circles

RipVanWeed

I don't know about anyone else, but when my plants look like shit I get too embarassed to post pics. I think we're on the road to recovery so I'll take you back and show what Broad Mites can do.

picture.php

Posted a couple pictures like this...Storm Shadow and Midnight called it right away. Get a higher power glass cause your lil 10x ain't gonna cut it in this battle. I have a 30x coming.

These bugs are barely visible with a 10x loupe. I can see adults but not eggs. Noticed a mite carrying what I thought was a carcass of a mite on it's back....hmmmm how cool, they're disposing of they're dead.

While reading about their lifecycles I learn that maturing adult males snatch female larva, throw 'em on their backs and head out to find new territory! MFer's are homesteading my garden.

Sorry for the oversize pic file I work on resizing.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hey rvp,

nice pics, great plants. i wanna smoke that purple mkultra! :joint:

what are you doing for the mites? have you tried lavender FPE? i've had good luck with it.

i'm also curious about your soil. :D

i'm a bit late but i'd like to join the party :lurk:

RipVanWeed

Thanks Heady,

Lost almost 50% of my plants to the Broad Mites. They really had a hold before diagnosis. Removing "host" plants and overly damaged plants. Left with about 50 total, flowers. teens and babies.

I kept 5 plants, ones I really didn't want to lose, on the patio for a couple a weeks now. Sprayed with everything else in Veg.

Bought a 30x loupe/scope to hunt down these buggers. Arrived last Sat. so I've had it a week. Haven't seen a live mite yet!

KNOCK ON WOOD

Been spraying every 3 days, for bout 5 wks now. with a rotation of Azamax, Spinosad, SucraShield, and BotaniGard ES. Every other spray I tankmix in either FulPower(Fulvic Acid) or Neptune's Harvest.

Yea, I burned/spotted a few....gotta keep shaking the sprayer...lol

Bought a Atomiser Sprayer but it's way too powerful for my application. I tried to throttle it back via a speed controller. No bueno, the liquid feed is suction fed so as soon as you slow down the fan, the feed quits.

Prolly scale back to once a week soon. Switch to a Neem/Kranja Oil maintenence.

HeadyB, if you read this far....I'm very interested in using lavender. It grows in a couple of spots in my yard. I also sport some Rosemary.

How do you make your stuff?

I'm ready to try it soon as preventitive.

These are the OutDoor Rescue 5.

picture.php

From the left, standing; GrapeApe x BlueHawaiian, MasterBubba Kush.
Sitting; UK Cheese Exodus Cut, Jack Herer, and Swiss Bliss

Just finished giving these girls a haircut, cleaning up all the claws and dead/dieing leaves. Couple are just showing some flowering. After spraying tomorrow I'll move them back into the indoor VegRoom.

This is a MasterBubba that I'm trimming now. She was sprayed twice in the 3rd week of flower. Once with Azamax, and once with Spinosad, using that jetblower Atomiser Sprayer. Never saw another bug on her, but there had been damage done. Have a few more MBK's finishing up and they all suffered from that early flower attack. This is the best of the 4.

picture.php

Also, just jarred up a 75g Holy Grail OG....opening the jar results in a lemon pledge faceslap....got a few of those in the pipeline.

On the soil front, my mix is based off what the Clackamas Coot preached and I'll post it up next time

Course now I'm reusing 100% and just reammending....that's what caught me out with those lil mites. I assumed I had def's in the used soil or sumpin'

Luckily I didn't overreact...learned that lesson already...in fact I prolly have been too slow to resume feeding as I've overdone dat too!

Now that we're green again, you'll see more of us again.

Peace,

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
that's a bummer about losing part of your crop rip.

the lavender fpe is super easy to make.

chop up a bunch of lavender flowers and put in a food safe plastic container---something big, you only want the lavender to fill it up liek 1/4 of the way. then cover the lavender with 2x as much water. cover the container loosely with a lid (so that gas can escape but you won't lose much to evaporation).

jaykush turned me on to lavender fpe and he says it can be used in as little as 48 hours if you need it ASAP. since i try to keep a supply of it on hand, i usually let mine go for around two weeks, or until the fermentation calms down and the plant material begins to sink.

at this point you can strain out the plant material, and the liquid you are left with is the fermented plant extract.

it stores best in the concentrated form. the longer you let it ferment the stronger the extract. so for application make sure to dilute it heavily with water. i would start with 1 TBS per gallon.

FPE's are one of those things where more is never better.

i use a pump sprayer. fill with water, add a bit of lavender fpe, tighten the nozzle to get a fine mist, then spray the heck outta the plants, making sure to get every surface top and bottom.

keep a tight schedule of spraying at least every 3 days, and you should be able to regain control of them.

i prefer it to neem oil because it does not leave any noticeable residue on the leaves.

RipVanWeed

Great info Heady,

I was close to using laveder FPE about 8mo ago. I Sealed a liter water bottle with a handful of lav. flowers and 2/3 up with RO water. Still sealed....think it's usable?

I'll make up some fresh to be sure.

Do you chop up fresh,fresh dryed, or dead on the stalk flowers?

Can't hang with a 3 day spray cycle long term. I'll be rotating pure neem oil mixed with karanja oil and the Lav. FPE, weekly.

Thnks for looking in,

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i'd say that 8 month old one is prob still good. make sure to REALLY dilute it before applying.

doesn't matter what you use, if you can't get to em at least every three days, it's gonna be a long battle.

work against their reproductive cycle FTW.

i usually use fresh flowers because they grow everywhere here. dried works fine for fpe also.

one thing to note: generally dried material will produce a more concentrated extract than the same volume of fresh.

RipVanWeed

Thanks Headz,

I've been haulin' all the plants out on to the patio for spraying...that's the bitch part. When I scale back to preventive maint. I'll try once a week and watch really close.

Been able to move 5 girls into the flower room in the last 10 days, so the dance floor is filling back up. The more mature plants were all affected by pests, but I'm glad I persisted cause they bounced back fairly well. This Green Crack is almost done

picture.php

Here's a Holy Grail OG fresh to the flowering scene

picture.php

West Circle

picture.php
\

East Circle

picture.php

Peace,

Work2much

I'm glad to see you beat those microscopic bastards.

I was in you're shoes with the broad mites two years ago. At that time there was no broad mite thread here at icmag so I was on my own. I brought them in on clones. I had become accustomed to not having any bug problems except the odd fungus gnat so I wasn't doing any preventative spraying. After pulling my hair out for several months I got a 100x battery powered microscope from Radioshack for $15 identified them and started blasting away with sprays. My eradication differed from your own I used/use chems through mom/clone/veg/very early flower.

Since then I have built a quarantine area for new cuts to go into for several weeks of nuclear war before I allow them to go into veg. Lesson learned.

I'm impressed every time I see a water only soil mix such as yours. I've spent some time researching mixes and would like to develop a mix that I could use in my coco/perlite watered twice per day mix. It would be very nice to just to have one big rez full of water. I'll have to go read clack's stuff it's been a while.

Take care.

Good looking out on those mites,Rip.Absolute eradication is the only way. My skin frikking crawls just thinking about bugs in my buds.I've only ever had thrips,but those bastards were bad enough. You've reminded me that I've gotten complacent with my preventive measures. I just don't like spraying chems on my girls and we have pretty restrictive rules on the sales of insecti/arachno-cides around my parts. I'm gonna start a batch of lavender fpe,me thinks....

Grizz

Veteran
fuckin borg. hate them bastards. looks like you pulled through with some fine buds though.

RipVanWeed

Hey thanks for stopping by

Works...I'm moving away from trying to go water only. Nowadays allmy soil is recycled and very lightly ammended. I have 12 strains and need the control of adding ferts to some via top dress.

With a history of overdoing things, I've purposely held back from trying to kick start these girls. The hungry ones are becoming more obvious and are responding to the topdress of organic allpurpose 5-5-5.

Some of the girls need no extra and are just getting a Nutrient Tea. I bubbles me home grown EWC, store boughten EWC, Molasses, Earth Juice Cataylst, Neptune's Harvest, Glacial Rock Dust, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Fish Bone Meal, and leastly Sul-Po-Mag. Gots an airlift bubblin brewer. In about 36 hrs I'll check the ph, I wait till the ph comes back up to 6.2-6.8... The brewer does about 4.5g at a time, then I mix it with another 4.5g of water to have 9gals for girls.

More to follow...gotta eat

RipVanWeed

Took a couple of shots of the finished girls....

This MasterBubbaKush was hit hard by Broad Mites during the 1st 2-3 wks of flowering. In fact, all these plants are of the same generation. Sprayed them once with AzaMax and once with Spinosad.

picture.php

Black Domina

picture.php

Grape Ape

picture.php

picture.php

I'm pleasently surprised by the nuggets these plants produced. These were old girls who had been through the ringer. Survived PM and Broad Mites, as well as the frequent dousing of sprays.

Prolly only 60-70g's per plant, but they smell delicious.

Respect