What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Ginger Baker

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the greatest drummers ( not home invaders lol)
Ginger Baker passed away at age 80,,
RIP Ginger,, amazed he made it to 80,,
I think “ Cream” were one of the first supergroups,,,,s2:tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Time is sure going fast. Think the cigs got him. Clapton is not too well now. Bruce is gone. The music lives on.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Time is sure going fast. Think the cigs got him. Clapton is not too well now. Bruce is gone. The music lives on.

So true,, even Phil Collins is,sitting down to get through the gigs,,,time waits for no-one,,,s2:tiphat:

Last edited:

Driver 8

All of that sound from such a small basic set exhibits a truly wonderful talent.

And the fro..... speechless. :D

Happy trails Mr. Baker!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Ginger lived a wild and crazy life - and by all accounts was one of the best ever jazz/rock drummers of all time - he made it to 80 years old - even though he was a smack junkie for about 20 years - so he did have a good innings -

He even played with Fella Kuti -

RIP

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
One of the greatest drummers in Rock history. Very sad to see him pass........ :cry:

ginger07.jpg

Jack Bruce already passed, Clapton going on record saying he can no longer tour after this year because he can't remember the music......:noway:....the lifestyle and the opiates eventually catch up with you.

[YOUTUBEIF]7FZ0pv9R1uY[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]dCc00pX_pFA[/YOUTUBEIF]

"Oh for god's sake, I've never played rock," Baker told the blog JazzWax in 2013. "Cream was two jazz players and a blues guitarist playing improvised music. We never played the same thing two nights running. Jack and I had been in jazz bands for years. All that stuff I did on the drums in Cream didn't come from drugs, either. It was from me. It was jazz."

ginger05.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Loved Ginger Baker from his days with Blind Faith. His jazz background is what lead to his unique rock drumming style. I have always enjoyed playing Cream, Blind Faith, etc because he seldom followed the 4/4 back beat that was so popular in rock and roll. His rock drumming is more like playing lead, than rhythm. Typical of jazz drummers.

Celluloid heroes never die. That applies to vinyl heroes as well. Live on forever, Ginger Baker.

H

hard rain

Sad news; what a great drummer. But as others have said, 80 is pretty good considering the life style.

Cloneman

Veteran
I saw Cream at The Manor House pub in north London 1967 aged 16, what i remember was the energy, like there was 6 of them. I stood on a chair watching and was blown away with it all...

RIP GB

Latest posts

Latest posts