What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation in H20

pinkus

Veteran
High y'all. I'm currently in the process of making canna coconut oil for some chocolates. I use at least a couple of ounces of trim for a batch of 24 chocolates. I do this often, probably at least once every two weeks, so I know it is effective. First I take the trim and put it in a crockpot with water WITHOUT oils. I let almost all the water evaporate off, then I strain and rinse the trim until the water runs clear. Then I put in fresh water and the coconut oil and run the crock until the water/oil has almost disappeared. I then squish the mix in a potato ricer through a strainer. I'll then run hot water through the mix and re-squish a couple of times. cool it in the fridge, re melt in hot water and swirl to clean. yada yada yada. It all works well.

One thing I don't KNOW is if the THCa gets decarbed in the hot water bath. It is h 2 O(xygen) after all.

I have also taken to acidifying the water on the last rinse to increase the polarity of the water, just to (in my theory) help clean the oil. I've read that acidification will decarb. True?

Thanks y'all! :shooty:

ozzieAI

Veteran
i simply slow boil my canna and coconut oil with water for 3 - 4 hours, strain, cool for oil to solidify, remove water, reheat oil with sunflower lecithin till dissolved, filter and store...

i never decarb before hand...never have...didn't even know about decarbing till a few years ago...

troutman

Seed Whore
Decarboxylation takes place at temperatures above the boiling point of water.

So this is overall a bad idea.

Also oils and water don't mix well so this is another strike against you.

I'll pass.

ozzieAI

Veteran

So this is overall a bad idea.

Also oils and water don't mix well so this is another strike against you.

I'll pass.

sorry that was the point i was trying to make..the process i use decarbs...i don't do it separately

thats the point...oil and water don't mix making it easy to chill and remove the water once the oil sets...

strike against me...good on ya...been doing this for over 30 years with butter and now coconut oil...

https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/recipe-how-to-make-basic-cannabutter

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=12895

get a grip...

pinkus

Veteran
it happens faster above 212F, but also occurs below that. And since liquids transmit heat MUCH more effectively than water, it should be done in a fraction of the time indicated with this chart.
picture.php

igrowone

Veteran
interesting, wonder how well it preserves terpenes
which could be quite an advantage if if it does

pinkus

Veteran
interesting, wonder how well it preserves terpenes
which could be quite an advantage if if it does

I THINK almost all of the terpenes are lost as the water-soluble portion.

As far as showing, it's really just a simple crockpot extraction. Thanks y'all.

:tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
I THINK almost all of the terpenes are lost as the water-soluble portion.

As far as showing, it's really just a simple crockpot extraction. Thanks y'all.

:tiphat:

from what i read, the terpenes are very insoluble in water
very intrigued with this process

troutman

Seed Whore
:party::party::party::party:

I now know how to use water to decarb and save all the Terps.

This guy actually decarboxylates using water and cannabis sealed in vaccum bags.

The reason he does this is to save the Terps which normally escape when decarbing is done in a regular oven.

He has also a video. :)

Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Sous Vide is the ONLY way to decarb. Yes, the terpene profile is maintained and it makes a WORLD of difference in your edibles.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Absolutely. I am getting off better on my edibles than I EVER have.

You can read about some of my issues in the "Adding Terpenes to Edibles" thread (if you care. LOL) but my dosage was 2 full grams of rosin, decarb'd and mixed with coconut oil, in caps and food. And, even that resulted in almost no effect.

I have done sous vide in the last 5 or 6 edibles and my dosage is almost 1/10th of what it was.

I was getting pretty good results adding terps back after decarbing and that's when I realized it's all about the terps. The pressing process and the decarb (whether oven or beaker/hotplate method) was taking too much away. Adding back the terps enabled me to make 'party mixes' and 'pain mixes' and 'sleepy-time mixes'. That simply confirmed that it's all about the terps.

When I read about sous vide, it just made too much sense to me, not to try it. So, I did. I'll never go back.

I don't add terps to my edibles any more. My edibles are 10x more effective now. And, (not related but) I use lecithin now to increase the bioavailablity.

All-in-all.... My pot will never see an oven.... ever again. LOL

And, for the first time in forever, I am getting high again.

Another score for the French...... LOL

Thcvhunter

Veteran
:party::party::party::party:

I now know how to use water to decarb and save all the Terps.

This guy actually decarboxylates using water and cannabis sealed in vaccum bags.

The reason he does this is to save the Terps which normally escape when decarbing is done in a regular oven.

He has also a video. :)

Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy

Arent a handful of the terpenes water soluble?

Its why Water Hash / Bubble Bags were exposed as a hack from the original design of ice hash.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
In the case of Sous Vide, everything is sealed inside a vacuum bag. Nothing actually touches the water.

ozzieAI

Veteran
so how much can you actually process at a time with this method? ideally i would want to do a minimum of 20 gr up to 60 or even 80 grams.

i like that it works for you ringo...this seems to be the best way to keep strains individual characteristics when making caps/edibles

pinkus

Veteran
That is really cool.

I think that the bags sealed even in a pot of boiling water, or in the second pot in a double boiler would be extremely close in results. The transition from water to water vapor makes the temp pretty stable at around 100C/212F.

I'm not saying it's exact, but for those not wanting more gadgets. Yeah, those people really exist! :shooty:

Latest posts

Latest posts