What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting Pollen & Quality Control

medman225

hey all my icmag brothers and sisters out there! i hope all of you are high and happy.
i wanted to talk today about something i’ve seen brought up in passing in other threads but never truly expanded on. imo it only helps the community to have some difinitive rules for quality control when it comes to collecting and producing pollen. now i know how i have done in in the past until now, which is take clones from father plants of one strain and flower them out in its own room by itself(the one strain, maybe multiple clones)& wait till pollen drops, then collect, spray down everything with water, throw out trashed male clones, clean area, and then start with the next strain....
however, for anyone with any kind of legit breeding program going on, that seems a tad impractical, and i can understand that.
however, flowering a room with 10-20 different males, and taking them to another room to collect pollen individually, regardless even if u were to spray with water first and then, come back the next day, seems like a recipe for cross pollination and the inability to truly know for sure ur pollen is pure(i mean maybe 2-3 years later when uve outcrossed the pollen to a bunch of strains and u know it breeds true for the one line u thought it was, that’s still a long time to make sure it’s pure and for most of us growers and especially breeders, time is money)... i have seen a few threads of the very situation i just described above... maybe this kind of quality control doesn’t seem worthwhile to you(it should, but i’m not gonna try to reinvent the wheel here), but for those of us who want to make sure cross contamination is NOT a possibility within the pollen we are holding, i would like to have a civil discussion on collecting pollen in an environment(not one grow room, say a house) with more than one male, and the subsequent quality control that it takes to make sure you don’t cross contaminate the pollen batches.
ANY AND ALL PRO & AMATEUR BREEDERS.... your opinion/advice on the subject is MOST WELCOME.

i have heard of male flowering chambers, there’s a decent thread here on the mag(or at least used to be, youd have to search), yet this doesn’t exactly seem practical, not just because of the fact that the need for bigger males can make this a no go, but also because of watering ...
i suppose if this is our only opprutunity, then perhaps like 55 gallon see through rubbermaid’s, with 4-5 male clones of the same strain inside, with a hole for drip lines...
i realize breeders probably just have multiple different areas that are able to be somewhat quarantined, or doing it outside on a big plot faaaar far away(and hopefully waiting to seed females until after you’ve collected pollen so u don’t run the risk of cross contamination from different male pollen from the wind)

PS, this is less about tutorials for actually collecting the pollen, and more so to do with an environment where one is harvesting pollen from multiple males, and how they do it to ensure quality control(again the male flower rooms with 10+ strains waiting to be taken out midway through to collect pollen seems like you’re just asking to get pollen mixed).
thanks in advance for reading this and i look forward to gathering some general protocol for quality control with pollen.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-Keep males separated from females.
-Wet males previous to removal from room
-Remove male to be used and dry in a separate CALM room.
-Place a split paper plate under the male when it is just about dry & let it sit for a few days collecting pollen.
-Rinse & repeat

Let collected pollen dry for a few days then bag it up & use as desired.

Easy7

Veteran
The smallest amount of male flowers are needed that pollinate. No need the fully grow males. Just a few dumps of pollen into a vile of rice and one grain of rice can pollinate a lot.

Males make a lot of pollen to ensure pollination. Using your hand it's easy to remove a male flower and brush buds for plenty of seeds. Lot's of people go way over-board producing pollen.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My recommendation for small to moderate sized seed producers would be micro boxes. 2'x2'x3-4' boxes can produce enough pollen for storage and use for years.

The key is to use high micro air filtration (in AND out) to remove foreign pollen and keep pollen from escaping. Pre-filters on the exhaust are recommended. ;) You can run multiple boxes in the same room, without fear of contamination... as long as your procedures are sound.

Air off when opening a box and careful handling of plants in full pollination. Misting the air with water (if necessary) after closing up a box and turning the air back on. Change long sleeve gloves between boxes?
Save
Save